Xoom Video Conversion

Search This thread

stevefxp

Oct 16, 2007
Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve

al mon

Jan 28, 2011
N. Cal
Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
Hello all,

I have begun to convert some avi files I have, so they can run on my Xoom. At present I am using Imtoo Video Converter 7 with the Xoom H.264 profile. What I am seeing is that the size of the converted video is approximately 3 times larger than the original avi. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Steve

Here is Moto's guidelines on formats and rates supported.

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...3258/~/motorola-xoom---optimal-video-settings

I use MX Player Pro and am happy with it in general. But the Xoom is a little picky/sensitive to hi-rate files. I have a lot of high-rate MOV's that need to be downsized to to not stutter terrribly. Same for very hi-rate AVI's.

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

Maybe the avi files are more compressed than what you're converting to. I use Rock Player it will play files that MX Player won't.

bigrushdog

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2007
Why bother?

Use MX Player Pro and it plays AVI fine. In fact, I stream this from my NAS and play all kinds of video formats using MX Player Pro.

No conversion needed.

There are many video players as well.

+1 here. I use mx pro with MediaHouse to stream from my dlna server. Only problem is the high profile stuff. I have a massive collection of teh prawnz all in wmv and mx plays them nicely :eek:

_Duhhh

Apr 7, 2012
+1 for MX. Swipe to ff/rw was enough to get me to try it, the 3 decode options made me keep it. If a video won't play, long press on the file, and you can choose between hw/sw/sw fast decode. So far, I haven't found a video that fails all 3.

airesch

Mar 21, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve

It is quite normal for re-encodes to end up bigger than the original due to it trying to up-scale the video/audio. Like others in the thread, i suggest using MX player for avi's (never had any problems with them,) or using Handbrake to downscale/re-encode/etc 1080i/p videos to something that the Xoom can handle easier. I have had problems with high resolution mkv's (even sometimes 720p) even in MX.