[ROOT] Howto root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.4.83] + R/W FILESYSTEM

Search This thread

LeoNg628

Dec 2, 2009
Hi,

I need you help...><
Since I have use 2.1.08+rw a while, but I've installed busybox from market and lost SuperUser permission,

so I make a backup and 'Reset Android' want to bring it back, after reset,
I've 'Update Firmware' with 2.1.08's AOS, and choose Developer Edition menu to remove Android Kernal,
then flash yours 2.1.08+rw file,
but my Archos never come back....(can't boot up):(

Am I did something wrong?

*but when I flash the non+rw file, it can boot up and have SuperUser here..is it any different between +RW and non+RW?

jakkrith

Jun 19, 2007
Bangkok
www.siamecohost.com
Hi,

I need you help...><
Since I have use 2.1.08+rw a while, but I've installed busybox from market and lost SuperUser permission,

so I make a backup and 'Reset Android' want to bring it back, after reset,
I've 'Update Firmware' with 2.1.08's AOS, and choose Developer Edition menu to remove Android Kernal,

Am I did something wrong?

*but when I flash the non+rw file, it can boot up and have SuperUser here..is it any different between +RW and non+RW?

BE CAREFULLY: if you delete or corrupt important system files and aren't able to boot anymore, you have to flash the "non-rw" root kernel+initramfs, go to /mnt/system/unionfs and remove the changes.

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
BE CAREFULLY: if you delete or corrupt important system files and aren't able to boot anymore, you have to flash the "non-rw" root kernel+initramfs, go to /mnt/system/unionfs and remove the changes.

thanks jakkrith!

@LeoNg628 look at jakkriths posting, that's what you have to do:
- install non-rw
Code:
$ su
# rm -rf /mnt/system/unionfs
- install +rw

Reactions: LeoNg628

ske714

Jan 1, 2011
Hi,

I've 'Update Firmware' with 2.1.08's AOS, and choose Developer Edition menu to

remove Android Kernal,

It looks to me like you did a couple of steps out of order. Don't know if it matters, but you deleted the kernal before you flashed custom kernel + initramfs. Here is the sequence from the first post.

1. Install SDE (you only have to do this only once, it will even survive a full reformat)

2. Install android firmware

3. Install the custom kernel + initramfs
now you have temporary root
4. (optional!) permanent root
* Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
* choose "Remove Android Kernel"

LeoNg628

Dec 2, 2009

Yup, I have read this....but I mount to this folder and I've saw another 'system, bin, mnt' inside as below:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Feb 25 10:04 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Feb 16 19:54 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 1024 Feb 25 08:11 system

I am afraid if I remove this 3 folders will break my Archos's Android system, so haven't did that. ><

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
I finally installed the SDE after I bought a second unit an A70S My A101IT needs to go in for RMA because of a defective USB Host.

The installation was a breeze thanks to all the good instructions of chulri. Thanks again.

Now lets see if we can increase the data partition without doing repartitioning or manual manipulations.

chulri what about creating a 1Gb file on the /mnt/storage and formatting that as ext3 copying all the original /data to it and then mounting that with a loop interface on /data.

Should I create a separate thread to discuss this or can we keep it in here?

Reactions: jakkrith

rUmtifUsel

Oct 25, 2007
Hannover
www.lorenz.bz
chulri adviced me there to reinstall the archos kernel (2.1.08). but that didn't fixed my wlan problem.

i've uninstalled (once again) the developer edition, format the whole device (so that i have to reinstall android). installed again the developer edtion, installed android (archos 2.1.04), installed custom kernel and initramfs +rw(2.1.04), booted and then i could access my wlan without any probs. reboot, recovery menu, updated to 2.1.08, updated kernel and initramfs +rw for 2.1.08, uninstalled the android kernel, booted - et voilá everything is fine now.

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
That's very nice topic and I would like to say Thank you (chulri and wdl1908) for the extra 1 GB /system/app space. Hope to test this feature ASAP. :D

It already works with a lot of manual tinkering. I'm running it now on my A70S. Chulri is starting to develop an app to do all the manual tinkering in a semi automatic way.

Reactions: jakkrith

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
Hi guys.
I'm trying to do something a little different, and I thought this solution would help but no-go.
I'm trying to write a framework.jar file to /system/framework/, and as you can guess, it's not easy
I rooted the devices, even got su in adb shell, but no matter what I can't copy the file.
I even linked the framework directory to a new temporary /data/frameworktemp/ directory, which seemed to work, but didn't.
I installed the entire solution, with the SDE, with the fw, and with the custom initramfs [fw 2.0.71 +rw], and still I can't get write permissions on the /system/framework/ dir.
Mounting, remounting, nothing worked.
Any idea how to get it to work?

For the record, the device is an Archos A70 with 250GB.
Thanks,
-Ambious

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
please restart your A70 and show me the output of
Code:
$ su
# ls -al /
# ls -al /system/
# ls -al /system/framework/
# ls -alR /mnt/system/unionfs/

Ambious

May 11, 2008
Haifa
please restart your A70 and show me the output of
Code:
$ su
# ls -al /
# ls -al /system/
# ls -al /system/framework/
# ls -alR /mnt/system/unionfs/

In the meantime I formatted my device, and did the entire process again (installing the fw and then the kernal+initramfs(rw), and now I can't even get su.
(gives me /bin/sh: su: not found)
I'm gonna install Archangel and try again, but I'm guessing the kernal+initramfs(rw) should've installed SU, shouldn't it have?

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
In the meantime I formatted my device, and did the entire process again (installing the fw and then the kernal+initramfs(rw), and now I can't even get su.
(gives me /bin/sh: su: not found)
My guess, you did something wrong.
but I'm guessing the kernal+initramfs(rw) should've installed SU, shouldn't it have?
it does, have you started the correct system? (developer edition!)

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
I'll try the entire thing again in the meantime.
If it's still not working, install the non-rw initramfs and show me the output of:
Code:
$ su
# ls -alR /mnt/system/

Edit: btw.: Why are you still using 2.0.71? That was never fully tested with +rw, despite it's the same as the newer versions.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello community

First of all, thanks to dogmaphobia for his initial work (click for fw 2.0.71)

Don't forget: I'm not responsible for anything ;)
    Installing SDE or rooting your Archos device in any way may or definitly will void your warranty. You can find more information about it on the Archos website: link

Now here we go, you need four things:
    1. An Archos Gen8 device (e.g. A101IT)
    2. Archos Firmware
      - 2.1.02: [Archos server]
      - 2.1.03: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.04: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.08: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.20: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.26: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.19: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.65: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.80: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.82: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.83: [Archos server]
    3. Archos SDE
      - [Archos server], [Mirror #1]
    4. Rooted initramfs + kernel
      - [fw 2.0.71 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.02]
      - [fw 2.1.02 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.03]
      - [fw 2.1.03 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.04]
      - [fw 2.1.04 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.08]
      - [fw 2.1.08 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.20]
      - [fw 2.3.20 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.26]
      - [fw 2.3.26 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.81]
      - [fw 2.3.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.19]
      - [fw 2.4.19 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.65]
      - [fw 2.4.65 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.80]
      - [fw 2.4.80 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.81]
      - [fw 2.4.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.82]
      - [fw 2.4.82 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.83]
      - [fw 2.4.83 +rw]

*: +rw = permanent root, changes to filesystem will be stored in /dev/mmcblk0p2. it has ~30 megabytes free, this should be sufficient for most changes and scripts.

Then you have to the following:
    1. Install SDE (you only have to do this only once, it will even survive a full reformat)
      • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload the SDE firmware file to your device
      • safely disconnect the USB connection
      • press ok on Archos device
      • reboot
    2. Install android firmware
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by usb to your computer
      • upload the Android firmware file to your device
      • reboot
    3. Install the custom kernel + initramfs
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Flash Kernel and Initramfs"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to your device
      • reboot and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Developer Edition"
      now you have temporary root (you always have to boot "Developer Edition" to get root again)
    4. (optional!) permanent root
      thus it will boot always the custom kernel (to revert, reinstall Android firmware)
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Remove Android Kernel"
      • reboot

For Updates:
    Just go like this:
    @Techngro
    I was in the same situation as you are: 2.1.03 and permanent root.
    Then did a firmware upgrade from the rescue menu, flashed the new kernel and initramfs and removed again the stock android kernel --> working :)

If it says "update failed" the aos file might be corrupt

Have fun! :D ;)

Big thanks to jfmcbrayer for helping me out!

Links for developers:
    FINALLY!

Thanks to jfmcbrayer (!!!), we can provide you an update for 2.4.81!
    Have a look in the first posting for links and howto update. :cool:

All credit to Chulri for this; I just followed the instructions written on the nice drool-proof paper.
    root (+/-rw) for fw 2.4.19 is online (see first posting) and I'm gonna be offline for two weeks (vacation ;))
    Ok, nice to know ;)

UPDATE: 2.1.08 (+rw) firmware root updates in start posting :cool:
    @bandit01 stfu, impatient little troll! :rolleyes:

@everyone except bandit01: rooting for fw 2.3.81 is available! see start post or project website for download links