[Q] Converting SPB to vcf or csv files / Importing SPB without Kies

Search This thread

dinbrca

Jul 22, 2011
Hello, guys, i recently backed up my contacts using Samsung Kies.
after that i flashed my galaxy with some stuff.
now. whenever i connect my galaxy it takes tons of time for Kies to load my galaxy and at the end it - when i try to import my contacts from the pc back to the galaxy it shows the error: "Stopped saving contacts to GT-I9000". also when i try to show my current contacts using Kies it says "Device not responding...".

So I thought - maybe I can convert the SPB file of the contacts to the vcf or to csv file and sync it with my gmail contacts?

I saw this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1129091
but I cant seem to find any export to vcf file in Kies 2.0

Thanks in advanced,
Sorry for my bad English.
Din.

Last edited:

amatesic

Aug 19, 2011
I too am having problems

I lost my phone ... and all I have is the Kies software on my PC and when you do not have a phone connected then you do not have option to export to .vcf ... so very annoying as I want to move my backed up contacts to an older phone till I can afford to buy a new smartphone. So what to do ?

Is there any way to convert kies .spb format to .vcf format? I have searched the forums and the solutions offered need the phone to be connected to Kies. The other solution something about spb2xml is for something else not kies .spb formatted files. Also this is not a clean solution.

HELP PLEASE !!!! I am very upset at being tied to SAMSUNG ... given this they will never get me to buy a smartphone from them again and any friend I have will also not purchase one! Open development platforms please !!!!!

If all else fails I will borrow a friend's samsung and do the conversion ... however why not allow an export to work without a phone attached to Kies ... really!!!

My questions again ... Is there any way to convert kies .spb format to .vcf format without having to plug in a phone using Kies? Please only tested solutions.

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
I lost my phone ... and all I have is the Kies software on my PC and when you do not have a phone connected then you do not have option to export to .vcf ... so very annoying as I want to move my backed up contacts to an older phone till I can afford to buy a new smartphone. So what to do ?

Is there any way to convert kies .spb format to .vcf format? I have searched the forums and the solutions offered need the phone to be connected to Kies. The other solution something about spb2xml is for something else not kies .spb formatted files. Also this is not a clean solution.

HELP PLEASE !!!! I am very upset at being tied to SAMSUNG ... given this they will never get me to buy a smartphone from them again and any friend I have will also not purchase one! Open development platforms please !!!!!

If all else fails I will borrow a friend's samsung and do the conversion ... however why not allow an export to work without a phone attached to Kies ... really!!!

My questions again ... Is there any way to convert kies .spb format to .vcf format without having to plug in a phone using Kies? Please only tested solutions.

Open Kies
Open your saved spb file
Select all the contacts
Click SAVE
Select a location on your PC, create a directory called Contacts.
Browse to this directory and save the file using VCF as your file extension
Yes it doesn't give VCF as a file type option so just manually type it.
Check the directory and it should be full of vcf files.
Copy the directory to your Phone SD Card and import using contacts import.

Fdss@xda

Jan 15, 2012
It works just fine

All I did was follow the steps as describe, remane the extension to .cvf and its going to create as many VCF as U have as contacts....I put it inside my I9000B-ICS4.0.4 and that's it... easy as looks like....

guppeey

Jul 19, 2012
Import contacts from SPB file without Kies Software

Hi ApriliaM3,

I exactly did the same set of instructions as directed by your forum post. But it doesnt seem to work.

My phone retailer, reflashed my phone with DarkyRom Extreme edition 10.2 Gingerbread. Due to this Samsung Kies wont recognize my phone.So i did all you have instructed including appending the manual file extension of vcf. while saving Kies contacts. This nicely created as many VCF files as there are contacts. However I get this error message "Reading of VCard data has failed. One or more files could not be read....."

open

The individual VCF files are opening nicely including contact photos if any and favorites mark etc in Outlook, suggesting they are valid VCF files. Just that they wont be imported in my Phone's contacts. I tried the Android app 'Import Contacts' this also did not work. Is there any other way around it please. I have thousands of contacts and manually reentering is very difficult so I want to keep that as the final option.

Would highly appreciate your pointers please.

Cheers and thanks in advance. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S happily running on Froyo. This nightmare is since the upgrade to Gingerbread.

Open Kies
Open your saved spb file
Select all the contacts
Click SAVE

Attachments

• SC20120812-171545.jpg
    SC20120812-171545.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,708

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
Hi ApriliaM3,

I exactly did the same set of instructions as directed by your forum post. But it doesnt seem to work.

My phone retailer, reflashed my phone with DarkyRom Extreme edition 10.2 Gingerbread. Due to this Samsung Kies wont recognize my phone.So i did all you have instructed including appending the manual file extension of vcf. while saving Kies contacts. This nicely created as many VCF files as there are contacts. However I get this error message "Reading of VCard data has failed. One or more files could not be read....."

open

The individual VCF files are opening nicely including contact photos if any and favorites mark etc in Outlook, suggesting they are valid VCF files. Just that they wont be imported in my Phone's contacts. I tried the Android app 'Import Contacts' this also did not work. Is there any other way around it please. I have thousands of contacts and manually reentering is very difficult so I want to keep that as the final option.

Would highly appreciate your pointers please.

Cheers and thanks in advance. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S happily running on Froyo. This nightmare is since the upgrade to Gingerbread.

It looks a bit like SOME of your vcf contacts might be corrupted? Have you tried deleting the files reported in the error window and then re-import again?

SGSII GT-i9100 via Tapatalk

guppeey

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the prompt reply ApriliaM3.

I did make couple of attempts making sure not to open the file after conversion fearing further format changes/collapses. Despite that no luck.

If VCF is an universally accepted standard, dont know why Samsung need to come up with their own spb format. Its too late to lament though.

Luckily i had a CSV of the same file too. Got it imported to Gmail that did a nasty job of putting everything as a comment/additional info. Also pictures of contacts lost. Google has imported them all with a label 'Imported<importdate>' So I am filtering the contacts by this label and rectifying the entries by putting them in the right fields and removing the label before saving. This way I know i am working with just the ones I had on my phone. On the upside, all phone contacts got into gmail. Which means I am safe in another disaster including losing the phone.

Its about a step short of totally re entering manually. but worked. Samsung/Android phones need to mature a lot.

Despite google, Android is still not as versatile as other Google products. Especially in a recovery situation like mine.
Wish Google made VCF mandatory for all vendors.

Anyway, thanks once again, ApriliaM3. Help much appreciated.

Cheers.

It looks a bit like SOME of your vcf contacts might be corrupted? Have you tried deleting the files reported in the error window and then re-import again?

Last edited:

vijaydubey

Aug 22, 2012
Not able to Unlock SPB kies file

I have created a backup of contacts using kies 2.0 from my samsung monte S5620 and set the password to open the contact file . But now when I am transferring the contacts back to my new phone samsung galaxy y duos GT S6102 phone its asking for the password and not accepting the password which I had given during contacts' backup creation.....Please help me to unlock this contact file. The contact file is in .spb format. :(:crying:
:confused:

thesm

Jul 26, 2013
rabat
problem with kies :eek:

Open Kies
Open your saved spb file
Select all the contacts
Click SAVE

I tried all this but my kies doesn't save anything to my folder I tried csv & vCard :crying:

Can I send you my spb & send me back a csv or vCard file please ?

thanks in advance

zennepiet

Oct 26, 2013
Open Kies
Open your saved spb file
Select all the contacts
Click SAVE

work fine, thanks :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Open Kies
    Open your saved spb file
    Select all the contacts
    Click SAVE