Technical Think Tank for Bricked G1's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Deuces

Jun 4, 2009
Houston
yeeeah at last my g1 is up and running :S but after unbrick by changing the motherboard the camera won't start and the down part of the phone behind the buttons is really hot when charging, also the battery is not charging =( it just stays red and won't charge, any help is greatly appreciated

sounds like you missed some connectors or screwed up another board

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
yeeeah at last my g1 is up and running :S but after unbrick by changing the motherboard the camera won't start and the down part of the phone behind the buttons is really hot when charging, also the battery is not charging =( it just stays red and won't charge, any help is greatly appreciated

Heh... that is NOT an unbrick. That is a REPLACE.

Cuore_alfa

Jun 30, 2009
The signal if i`m not wrong is a cable with a round end, you can`t miss it, my phone is working like new with my 10.00 buck ebay water damage board :D

IConrad01

Mar 13, 2009
For those of you out there who borked up the Haykuro SPL update, and now can't boot your phone...

I fixed my issue w/ this by turning it on, and using the adb shell to mount the sdcard. ( " # mount /sdcard " ). From there, I was able to flash the update by rebooting into recovery.

I don't know if that will help you guys, but it worked for me.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
For those of you out there who borked up the Haykuro SPL update, and now can't boot your phone...

I fixed my issue w/ this by turning it on, and using the adb shell to mount the sdcard. ( " # mount /sdcard " ). From there, I was able to flash the update by rebooting into recovery.

The computer will not recognize a truly bricked G1. Otherwise unbricking would be somewhat easy.

letropezien

Mar 6, 2009

says if you like a tutorial

rosciio

Jul 22, 2009

it says it is successful, then no longer feel?

tanksta

Jun 2, 2009
Singapore
replaced mobo but still stuck on g1 screen

i bought a busted g1 from ebay and replaced the motherboard but its still stuck on the g1 boot screen.

the phone was bricked when i tried to apply spl without the radio update.

is there a separate daughterboard that i need to swap out?
:confused:

Deuces

Jun 4, 2009
Houston
i bought a busted g1 from ebay and replaced the motherboard but its still stuck on the g1 boot screen.

the phone was bricked when i tried to apply spl without the radio update.

is there a separate daughterboard that i need to swap out?
:confused:

you probably bought someone elses bricked g1. i bought a "broken" g1 on ebay and someone had already opened the device and screwed around with stuff. was weird because the void seal was still intact, but i could see "pry" marks around the casing

tanksta

Jun 2, 2009
Singapore
you probably bought someone elses bricked g1. i bought a "broken" g1 on ebay and someone had already opened the device and screwed around with stuff. was weird because the void seal was still intact, but i could see "pry" marks around the casing

you are right about someone having screwed around with the phone. all the screws had scuff marks and UMTS cable was pinched under the motherboard.

Aug 3, 2009
San Jose
Question

Is anybody still trying to find a solution to 'unbricking' a G1 with a damaged SPL? I would do it myself but I simply do not know enough. Is the JTAG option still being looked into?

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Is anybody still trying to find a solution to 'unbricking' a G1 with a damaged SPL? I would do it myself but I simply do not know enough. Is the JTAG option still being looked into?

Yes. Yesterday, a mainboard arrived from gospeed.racer. I've popped off all the covers and there seem to be plenty of easily accessed test points on the board and very near to the CPU. I *suspect* that the contacts to the immediate lower left of the CPU are the jtag points, but I will have to look into it in more detail over the next little while. Note: I am not going to be giving any definite time schedules for this since I do have other obligations that take priority.

Aug 3, 2009
San Jose
I have a question. Does the the SPL work like a BIOS of a motherboard? And would the JTAG debugging method sort of work like flashing a BIOS chip? So, I heard that when some one opened the G1 they could not find the pin layout in order to do the flashing (innuendo intended). Has anyone else tried this? I do not know much about embedded devices as I am only a desktop developer. I do tinker from time to time with electrical circuits but nothing major. How hard would it be to open up the phone, and with some online knowledge gathered about JTAG debugging, you know... fix it?

Aug 3, 2009
San Jose
I have a question. Does the the SPL work like a BIOS of a motherboard? And would the JTAG debugging method sort of work like flashing a BIOS chip? So, I heard that when some one opened the G1 they could not find the pin layout in order to do the flashing (innuendo intended). Has anyone else tried this? I do not know much about embedded devices as I am only a desktop developer. I do tinker from time to time with electrical circuits but nothing major. How hard would it be to open up the phone, and with some online knowledge gathered about JTAG debugging, you know... fix it?

I'm sorry, by BIOS chip I meant the CMOS chip if that confused any one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no led light when the battery is out and the phone is plugged into charger.

What he means is, pull the bat out. Put the bat back in, don't press any buttons. Plug in the charger, don't press any buttons. What color is the led.

Also are u using wall charger or usb? Does the comp see it at all?