[Q] T-Mobile lied to me.

Search This thread

Mazzerstruck

Aug 25, 2014
Hello XDA,

I have been here a lot of times, but didn't remember my essential info to log on as before.
I was in USA recently and someone stole my backpack. I went to t mobile, to buy a phone. And I specified, I need it to be unlocked because in a month I am flying back home. I paid the device normal price 350 dollars for an S3 and got it or 300 dollars don't remember. I am now home and the device doesn't work. And I want to unlock it and remove the T mobile firmware.

is it possible?

Regards
Mario

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Hello XDA,

I have been here a lot of times, but didn't remember my essential info to log on as before.
I was in USA recently and someone stole my backpack. I went to t mobile, to buy a phone. And I specified, I need it to be unlocked because in a month I am flying back home. I paid the device normal price 350 dollars for an S3 and got it or 300 dollars don't remember. I am now home and the device doesn't work. And I want to unlock it and remove the T mobile firmware.

is it possible?

Regards
Mario

Not sure where the lie is...? They don't sell the phones unlocked, even when purchased out right. If you were told that, most likely the CSR just didn't know what they were talking(common) about rather than actively lying to you. You should be able to contact their customer service to obtain an unlock code though if you have proof of purchase. Other than that, if it isn't updated (not likely) past 4.1.2 you can unlock it yourself via hidden menu. If you are on 4.3, this method no longer works that I have seen and you'll need to purchase an unlock code from a reputable source if T-Mobile refuses to help or you are unable to provide them with the necessary details for them to give you the code.

Mazzerstruck

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure where the lie is...? They don't sell the phones unlocked, even when purchased out right. If you were told that, most likely the CSR just didn't know what they were talking(common) about rather than actively lying to you. You should be able to contact their customer service to obtain an unlock code though if you have proof of purchase. Other than that, if it isn't updated (not likely) past 4.1.2 you can unlock it yourself via hidden menu. If you are on 4.3, this method no longer works that I have seen and you'll need to purchase an unlock code from a reputable source if T-Mobile refuses to help or you are unable to provide them with the necessary details for them to give you the code.

I asked her like 4 times. Will it work in my country? The answer was yes, and the last time was, are you going to ask me again sir?
Can someone direct me to the secret menu? I am in my country now. Will it unlock?

Mazzerstruck

Aug 25, 2014
I am on odin and I cant flash back the 4.1.1. why is that. If I flash it back I will be able to use the secret code

mcbyte_it

Nov 24, 2008
So, you got it from the US, and not you are home (can I as where?) and it doesn't accept your sim card?

Do you have an authentic receipt with the full price, and/or proof of purchase?

if so you can contact an authorized Samsung dealer in your area and describe the issue, and they will give you the unlock codes.

Something similar happened to me: I bought a brand new Galaxy S3 from Europe and sent it as a gift to the Middle east, where it didn't work, but with the receipt and some patience (a week/10 days), Samsung sent us the unlock codes.

I am on odin and I cant flash back the 4.1.1. why is that. If I flash it back I will be able to use the secret code
No, once you update to latest version (4.3) with its modem, you can't use old unlock codes (unless you backed up your EFS), but I guess your only hope is Samsung, try them first.

Last edited: