Who is getting the Flame?

Search This thread

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
The price and specs are to far apart for me to buy, that price I can buy an octa core android phone, $100 max on a dual core even $100 is to much, but willing to let slide. I simply can't justify paying $170 for a dual core when I know for a fact I can get an 8 core for less. I am out on the flame.

Jul 7, 2014
I've been thinking about it, especially since my Nexus One is about to bite the metaphorical dust, but I'm not sure. I've grown quite accustomed to Android over the past couple of years, and though I know that rationally, my Nexus 7 can still run ParanoidAndroid to satisfy that part of me, it's quite the jump.

So, possibly. Once my N1 decides it's time to die, anyhow. Should be anytime within the next couple of weeks.

xypiie

Jul 14, 2014
I'm wondering how many XDA folks have ordered the new [...] Flame reference phone[/URL]? I was able to check it a few weeks ago and have to say its an even more polished device then the ZTE Open and Keon. I'm looking forward to getting one soon.

Hi,

I got my flame last friday. German customs and DHL wanted 52 Euro before they handed the device over to me. So in total I paid now around 170 Euro.

Putting this aside, after 3 days of extensive usage, I can tell following things:

It comes with firefox os 1.3.0.0-prelelease (git commit: 2014-06-16 5c43d012)
Pro:
- Dual Sim capabilities are working nearly perfectly, having my private sim as first one using internet and in/outgoing calls and my buisness sim put into the second slot for receiving calls. Doing a call over the second sim requires to get into settings menu and reassign the outgoing calls to second sim, which is a little inconvenient.
- Hardware seems very well built and due to the weight, the device feels very valueable.
- I like the design
- Firefox OS boots very fast and runs then without any glitches or freezes, it feels responsible like android device with 2.2 ghz processor.
- Applications start instantly, almost no waiting.
- Chatting using various protocols (Whatsapp, jabber, irc) works quite well using apps from marketplace.
- Surfing the web works perfect, especially the scrolling feels so natrual, no noticable delay.

Neutral:
- Battery lasting just about 15-16 hours under normal load (Chatting from time to time, browsing and about 30 minutes of youtube videos), but as I'm usually having a powerpack or usb available wherever I go, this is no real showstopper for me.

Cons:
- The camera. Pictures just look aweful, in case you are not lighten your object with a bulb as powerful as the sun. Pictures with enabled flash are even worse.
- It's hard to search for information, as google always thinks you mean "firefox" instead of "firefox os"

I'll now dig into app development and start "programming" or better scripting some stuff.

kind regards,
--peter;

trevh

Oct 21, 2010
Perth
Mine arrived in Perth, Western Australia on Friday also but I was away at work and so only picked it up on Monday.
Thanks for the brief review, I too like the heft and feel of mine. Not tested the cameras yet ...

The screen cover feels like glass ... I sure hope it is because I haven't been able to find a protective cover for it yet.
I'm trying to "educate" google by attaching FxOS to the word Firefox whenever I search and it seems to help. FxOS by itself doesn't show much (yet!) but the personal "filter bubble" should kick in soon. Some people fear the "Google Filter Bubble" but it is useful in cases like this.

Hi,

- It's hard to search for information, as google always thinks you mean "firefox" instead of "firefox os"

;

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ---------

---------- Post added at 05:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Those who got their Flame this week, did you unpack it carefully enough to keep the Recovery Cable?

Mine was not inside the box but just loose in the bubble wrap bag. No sign yet of the companion "Emergency Download Tool" software. I hope it's not too far away because I'd like to backup the factory rom the try FxOS 2, help with debugging etc. which of course will increase of probability of temporary "brick" creation. :)

I found wifi certificates for what seems like our phone where it's described as:-
Company TCT Mobile Ltd.
Product Foxfone One
Model Number Flame
Anyone know whether it's a close enough match to another model in the Alcatel One Touch range to buy covers and screen protectors for it?

Last edited: