What is this icon thats stuck in my status bar?

Search This thread

MilesEvans

Dec 2, 2009
Excuse me for the spam, but I just recently switched from iOS to Android. My M8 has this weird icon all the way left to the status bar. It looks like an N or something.

imgur.com/nTwSdEH .com

Also I seen here that some people don't have the 4G LTE icon when using Wi-Fi. Why is mine there all the time even when I am not using cellular data?

matmaneyre

Nov 8, 2006
Birmingham
NFC is turned on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

+1

You can turn it off from Settings>>More (under Wireless and Networks) and tap the NFC toggle, or if you're rooted you can install Xposed and there is an Xposed module for "disabling NFC icon" I believe.

Welcome to Android. We're allowed to do stuff here.:victory:

MilesEvans

Dec 2, 2009
NFC is turned on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

+1

You can turn it off from Settings>>More (under Wireless and Networks) and tap the NFC toggle, or if you're rooted you can install Xposed and there is an Xposed module for "disabling NFC icon" I believe.

Welcome to Android. We're allowed to do stuff here.:victory:

Thank you both! Finally it's gone. And I had one more question. There's a scratch or something inside of my display. Best Buy already said they'll exchange it when they get a grey M8 in stock. Is there a way to completely back everything up, including my launcher settings, K9 emails, etc, and just restore it? I know back when I had my samsung vibrant 3 years ago I was able to do complete backup and restores.

NathanV1977

Apr 8, 2013
Melbourne
Yes and no. There's a backup app called Helium, which will allow you to backup and restore most things. It will still require some manual backing up, restoring, and a little reinstalling. Titanium Backup requires root, which I imagine you don't have? Not sure what HTC's own backup app does.

skwieradee

Apr 4, 2013
Yes and no. There's a backup app called Helium, which will allow you to backup and restore most things. It will still require some manual backing up, restoring, and a little reinstalling. Titanium Backup requires root, which I imagine you don't have? Not sure what HTC's own backup app does.

HTC backup does pretty much the same you just said about Helium.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

reaubideux

Oct 26, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Also I seen here that some people don't have the 4G LTE icon when using Wi-Fi. Why is mine there all the time even when I am not using cellular data?

Bumping this post specifically to see about an answer to this question.

I'm on a stock M8, not rooted, and have had it for the past few days and both 4G and Wi-Fi icons are displaying when I'm connected over wi-fi. Just concerned it's somehow leeching or otherwise using mobile data as opposed to just wi-fi.