www.gigmasters.com
eyeballer and I are pleased to announce that​

images

ParanoidAndroid 3.60
for the Nook Color is now available!​

images
images
images

ParanoidAndroid 3.15 is a AOSP based rom that allows users to enjoy tablet or phone UI, or hybrid.
Most apps have several different UI's for various layouts, choose which interface you prefer.​

Paranoid Android sources are out and building a ROM has never been easier. See the third post for instructions!

AOSPA Features include
  • Control the UI of individual apps as well as your entire tablet
  • Small. mid and large tabletUI layout.
  • Customization of toolbars, lockscreen and more/
  • Netflix. Update: Now working with latest apk from Play Store, but you need this hack.
  • Color-splash for nav-bar and apps
  • Expanded Desktop w/ PIE controls

• I especially would like you to take a second and appreciate the Cyanogen team, especially our home team of fat-tire, nemith, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360 and steven676.
    I would recommend you never pass up an opportunity to thank those guys for their efforts

From one of the PA creators, molesarecoming...

To be honest, this is not tablet mode at all, it has nothing to do with silly build.prop hacks.

This is the first and only Android rom to feature true Hybrid mode.
This rom lets you scale and project every app, every widget, even systemcomponents individually.
Remember, android is modular, everything is an app: Lockscreen, navigationbar, dialogs, popups, keyboards, widgets, and your regular apps of course.
Apps have the capability to switch into various designs or layouts according to the device they run on.
This can result in a complete new experience as many apps will transform to the better.

Now for every element that you like chose a mode (PhoneUI, Phablet/Nexus-7UI, TabletUI) and/or a size.
You are 100% independent of the system DPI which runs nicely in whatever value it has been assigned to.
You do not need to boot your phone into a certain DPI. Neither will most of the changes you apply require a reboot.
You will not suffer from the myriads of troubles which normally haunt you under build.prop tablet mode.
Your market, phone, etc. will all work, apps won't shrink on you unless you shrink them yourself.
This project will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the feel of your phone.

6939535_orig.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the ROM for the Nook Color

In the settings, you will see a new pane for Hybrid Settings.
  • Here you can adjust the default GUI and DPI for all system or user apps, or even each app individually. There is a picture walk-through at the top of the third post.

Download

• Updates will also be available through Goo Manager via browse compatible roms -> mateor -> paranoidAndroid
  • No special GAPPS necessary; just use the latest you can find!
  • If you are going to run this from an sdcard, see Leapinlar's sdcard-install guide

New! Download Page

PA is using NookieDev's 3.x kernel and device tree, among other projects.

3.15 Issue List
  • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best. This will continue to be worked on. (Here was one attempt)
  • You can only reboot into recovery through Cyanoboot!
  • Boot animation is in landscape
  • You will have to reflash GAPPS each update (known upstream issue)
  • Governor/Scheduler selection in Settings does not stick (Works in 3rd party apps like TricksterMod)
  • Some ALSA -related noise in logcat I plan on investigating.
  • You tell me!

Contributions to any aspect of the project are welcome, see the involved projects here.

Thanks are due to:
  • molesarecoming, aaronpoweruser, D4rKn3sSys and the ParanoidAndroid Team
  • The CM Team, including our own fattire, keyodi, dalingrin, eyeballer, Krylon360, sluo (yeah, that's right, we thanked ourselves. What about it?)
  • steven676 deserves a special mention for maintaining our device and kernel. This update in particular owes him a large debt.
  • kevank, snipa, and the rest of TeamWin for hosting and general good will (yeah, twice) (Wanna make something of it?)
  • tonyp for general PA expertise
  • inportb for GP.
  • RedneckReg for the replacement device and Leapinlar for all he does for the Nook community.

Last edited:

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Great work by mateorod on this!

Building from source is a ton better than the older builds where we had to patch frameworks from other devices.

Please post any feedback and/or preferred settings that you find or use for certain apps so we can improve the default experience.

Last edited:

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Here is a walk-through of how to interact with Paranoid Settings (found in the device settings menu)
You will notice some of the above user-interfaces are not yet available on this rom. Every device is configured differently.

Easiest build instructions on XDA!

These instructions are for 64 bit Linux environments, try VirtualBox if you don't use Linux normally.

Take 15 minutes and follow the beginning of this guide. if you don't have ADB set-up, it will take longer, but that is just for downloading the SDK.
If you need help installing the JDK (the hardest part, honest) do this (this is the absolute easiest way)
Code:
cd ~/
wget https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/raw/0.2.7/oab-java.sh -O oab-java.sh
chmod +x oab-java.sh
sudo ./oab-java.sh
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

When it gets to the step to intialize the repo (repo init -u ETC.) STOP, and come back here, You are done with that guide, forever. Those steps only need to be done once.

Enter:
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]repo init -u git://github.com/mateor/android.git -b pa-4.2[/FONT]
[FONT="Courier New"]repo sync[/FONT]

If you experience fetch errors during the repo sync, change the command to repo sync -j4 -f. If they still occur, then repo sync -j1 -f.
This will take a long time, do it before bed, or family time, or go eat.

When the sync is done
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch pa_encore-userdebug
make bacon

You're done! I used to have a build script here, but that is not currently working, ParanoidAndroid preferences FCs with the build script.

When it is done compiling, your ROM will be waiting for you at ~/android/system/pa/out/target/product/encore.

Fat-tire says this makes you an Android ninja, so you know it must be true. That means that if you don't try, you are admitting you don't want to be a ninja. Which reveals you to be the geek you already are but with loser rubbed all over you. Why else are you on XDA if not to learn?

Last edited:

bodi524

Apr 10, 2010
Google Pixel 3 XL
I have used Paranoid on my GNex. It is a great ROM! I was hoping someone might port it to the Nook Color.

If you need any testing or help I would be willing.
:good:

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
I am going to for sure try this later today after I am done taking the kids to their stuff!

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Reactions: AamirShamma

computerist

Jul 9, 2012
Eyeballer let me try an early version of this rom on a verygreen SD install. It works great on the SD. There are a couple of precautions I would point out.

If you set your systemui to phone mode, it will not by default show the soft navigation keys. There is a setting in settings that let you turn those on. It is off by default.

Second, the settings for the paranoid setup is stored in a file called pad.prop in /system. With the SD install, that file gets overwritten on installing an updated rom. I recommend that SD install users back up that file before updating the paranoidandroid rom. For SD installs just rename to .bak and after flashing, delete the new one and remove the .bak on the original. Eyeballer said he would try to fix that issue for emmc installs in the next version, but that will not help SD install users.

With this rom you can set YouTube to display in phone GUI and all HD videos will play in HQ. You can also set it for standard tablet dpi and the videos look great. In the tablet GUI of YouTube, HD videos try to play in HD and fail. And the only other choice is standard, which look horrible.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Oh, I like this ROM! In particular I like the ability to set each app to it's own settings. Some apps work good in tablet ui even if systemui is in phone ui. And vice-versa. This is a winner.

Reactions: mateorod

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Oh, I like this ROM! In particular I like the ability to set each app to it's own settings. Some apps work good in tablet ui even if systemui is in phone ui. And vice-versa. This is a winner.

I was specifically thinking of you when I was working on it, and all the hoops you had to jump through to be able to choose your own GUI.

Let me know what you think after you've played with it a while.

And thanks, computerist, for your in-depth feedback. We will definitely see what we can do.

routey

May 18, 2012
thanks for this.. will be flashing it soon once i get some time off from work!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
This for me is the best of both worlds. One of the reasons that I wanted to change dpi way back was because of the tiny fonts on the tablet GUI at 160 dpi. And changing that put you in phone GUI. Now you can set your dpi to whatever you want and choose the GUI you want. Not only that but you can change an individual app to behave like you want with a custom dpi that makes the fonts for that app just the size you want them. You can customize your entire system.

I'm never going back to ordinary cm9 again. So I encourage you guys to keep up the good work. I think everyone will love it once they understand what it can do.

Sent from my NookColor using ParanoidAndroid and Tapatalk

Reactions: mateorod

Cap18k

Jan 28, 2011
I tried a version of this ROM on my phone a while ago and although i don't use it on my phone anymore i remember thinking it would be perfect for the nook. I will definitely try this out when I get a chance. Thanks to the developers for their hard work and time on this ROM.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Adriel623

Just some clarifications

Hi guys. First of all I want to say kudos on a job well done to the team that came up with this.
I am very new to the rooting and Android scene in general. But I have rooted/nooted my Nook Color with Cyanogen Mod 7. What I'd like to know is what do I need to do to go from CM7 to having ParanoidAndroid on my Nook and what will I not be able to do that I can do on CM7? (Which is Gingerbread?). I apologize if answers to thse questions are already available. Thanks again!

biohazrd51

Apr 26, 2011
Hi guys. First of all I want to say kudos on a job well done to the team that came up with this.
I am very new to the rooting and Android scene in general. But I have rooted/nooted my Nook Color with Cyanogen Mod 7. What I'd like to know is what do I need to do to go from CM7 to having ParanoidAndroid on my Nook and what will I not be able to do that I can do on CM7? (Which is Gingerbread?). I apologize if answers to thse questions are already available. Thanks again!

The normal steps for flashing any ROM. Assuming you have it all installed on emmc:

-Download ROM and appropriate Gapps and place on SD card
-Boot into Clockwork Recovery
-Create a backup of current setup
-Wipe current setup
-Flash new ROM/install from SD
-Flash Gapps

If you run on SD I couldn't tell you as I haven't done that in ages, but I don't think the setup process for SD varies much from ROM to ROM.

Reactions: Adriel623

RETIEF

Sep 28, 2007
Moto G 5G
Moto G Stylus 5G
It is working well

Thanks to the devs for all the hard work. I installed this yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. It allowed me to fix a few things that bothered me with CM9. Now it works like I want.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    eyeballer and I are pleased to announce that​

images

ParanoidAndroid 3.60
    for the Nook Color is now available!​

images
    images
    images

ParanoidAndroid 3.15 is a AOSP based rom that allows users to enjoy tablet or phone UI, or hybrid.
    Most apps have several different UI's for various layouts, choose which interface you prefer.​

Paranoid Android sources are out and building a ROM has never been easier. See the third post for instructions!

AOSPA Features include
    • Control the UI of individual apps as well as your entire tablet
    • Small. mid and large tabletUI layout.
    • Customization of toolbars, lockscreen and more/
    • Netflix. Update: Now working with latest apk from Play Store, but you need this hack.
    • Color-splash for nav-bar and apps
    • Expanded Desktop w/ PIE controls

• I especially would like you to take a second and appreciate the Cyanogen team, especially our home team of fat-tire, nemith, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360 and steven676.
      I would recommend you never pass up an opportunity to thank those guys for their efforts

From one of the PA creators, molesarecoming...

To be honest, this is not tablet mode at all, it has nothing to do with silly build.prop hacks.

This is the first and only Android rom to feature true Hybrid mode.
    This rom lets you scale and project every app, every widget, even systemcomponents individually.
    Remember, android is modular, everything is an app: Lockscreen, navigationbar, dialogs, popups, keyboards, widgets, and your regular apps of course.
    Apps have the capability to switch into various designs or layouts according to the device they run on.
    This can result in a complete new experience as many apps will transform to the better.

Now for every element that you like chose a mode (PhoneUI, Phablet/Nexus-7UI, TabletUI) and/or a size.
    You are 100% independent of the system DPI which runs nicely in whatever value it has been assigned to.
    You do not need to boot your phone into a certain DPI. Neither will most of the changes you apply require a reboot.
    You will not suffer from the myriads of troubles which normally haunt you under build.prop tablet mode.
    Your market, phone, etc. will all work, apps won't shrink on you unless you shrink them yourself.
    This project will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the feel of your phone.

6939535_orig.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the ROM for the Nook Color

In the settings, you will see a new pane for Hybrid Settings.
    • Here you can adjust the default GUI and DPI for all system or user apps, or even each app individually. There is a picture walk-through at the top of the third post.

Download

• Updates will also be available through Goo Manager via browse compatible roms -> mateor -> paranoidAndroid
    • No special GAPPS necessary; just use the latest you can find!
    • If you are going to run this from an sdcard, see Leapinlar's sdcard-install guide

New! Download Page

PA is using NookieDev's 3.x kernel and device tree, among other projects.

3.15 Issue List
    • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best. This will continue to be worked on. (Here was one attempt)
    • Governor/Scheduler selection in Settings does not stick (Works in 3rd party apps like TricksterMod)
    • You tell me!

Contributions to any aspect of the project are welcome, see the involved projects here.

Thanks are due to:
    • molesarecoming, aaronpoweruser, D4rKn3sSys and the ParanoidAndroid Team
    • The CM Team, including our own fattire, keyodi, dalingrin, eyeballer, Krylon360, sluo (yeah, that's right, we thanked ourselves. What about it?)
    • steven676 deserves a special mention for maintaining our device and kernel. This update in particular owes him a large debt.
    • kevank, snipa, and the rest of TeamWin for hosting and general good will (yeah, twice) (Wanna make something of it?)
    • tonyp for general PA expertise
    • inportb for GP.
    • RedneckReg for the replacement device and Leapinlar for all he does for the Nook community.
    Here is a walk-through of how to interact with Paranoid Settings (found in the device settings menu)
    You will notice some of the above user-interfaces are not yet available on this rom. Every device is configured differently.

Easiest build instructions on XDA!

These instructions are for 64 bit Linux environments, try VirtualBox if you don't use Linux normally.

Take 15 minutes and follow the beginning of this guide. if you don't have ADB set-up, it will take longer, but that is just for downloading the SDK.
    If you need help installing the JDK (the hardest part, honest) do this (this is the absolute easiest way)
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/raw/0.2.7/oab-java.sh -O oab-java.sh
    chmod +x oab-java.sh
    sudo ./oab-java.sh
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

When it gets to the step to intialize the repo (repo init -u ETC.) STOP, and come back here, You are done with that guide, forever. Those steps only need to be done once.

Enter:
    Code:
    [FONT="Courier New"]repo init -u git://github.com/mateor/android.git -b pa-4.2[/FONT]
    [FONT="Courier New"]repo sync[/FONT]

If you experience fetch errors during the repo sync, change the command to repo sync -j4 -f. If they still occur, then repo sync -j1 -f.
    This will take a long time, do it before bed, or family time, or go eat.

When the sync is done
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch pa_encore-userdebug
    make bacon

You're done! I used to have a build script here, but that is not currently working, ParanoidAndroid preferences FCs with the build script.

When it is done compiling, your ROM will be waiting for you at ~/android/system/pa/out/target/product/encore.

Fat-tire says this makes you an Android ninja, so you know it must be true. That means that if you don't try, you are admitting you don't want to be a ninja. Which reveals you to be the geek you already are but with loser rubbed all over you. Why else are you on XDA if not to learn?
    Great work by mateorod on this!

Building from source is a ton better than the older builds where we had to patch frameworks from other devices.

Please post any feedback and/or preferred settings that you find or use for certain apps so we can improve the default experience.
    ParanoidAndroid 3.15 for the Nook Color is available for download. (Attention: New Download page!)

banner_505uxa.png

• You will likely need a complete wipe, this is a massive change from any PA roms that we released before. To try PIE controls, hold down the power button to get to the power menu and select it from there.

This was a truly challenging project...it took quite a balancing act to bring something pretty close to AOSP to the Nook Color. The way this device boots, its hardware...let's just say that things aren't being done this way anymore. It took quite a bit of jiggery-pokery, much of which was first developed when bringing CM7 to the Nook, work by guys like Dalingrin and nemith. The recent changes in the device and kernel, the things that brought us to speed with Android 4.2.2, that was done pretty exclusively by Steven676, a guy that everyone here should thank whenever you come across him.

I am grateful that the project has made it's way to light...I learned a ton about how the Nook operates. It has been a durable and hackable machine. I keep thinking each update will be its last and yet the Nook keeps suprising me. I spent the time to handle and correct any build errors from our end, look at the third post of this thread for updated build instructions. They are very, very simple.

This is AOSPA, and will be pretty different to what you are used to if you don't own a Nexus device or haven't tried vanilla AOSP before. Many settings have changed, moved, or flat-out aren't included. If you have something you want (be reasonable in terms of scope, please) let me know, I can try.

My bug list when first building was fairly obscene, and included pretty massive system-level services that were malfunctioning. This is the bug list now, as I am aware of it:
    • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best.
    • You tell me!

Thanks for sticking with the Nook and trying the ROM. This was hard to get right, I hope it works for you. Please be aware that there is a brand new download page, I apologize for the many changes on that front. Special mentions go to Redneck Reg, whose donated Nook made this project possible, and Leapinlar, who in many ways willed this update into being from afar, and was an extremely valuable tester and source of ideas.

ps. Somehow, I still included the torch.apk in this build, despite making several notes to myself to delete it. Next week, ok?
    Sorry for long delay, I had a very irritating problem with the update ( now solved). Details (and zip) this week.

Edit: AOSPA ParanoidAndroid 3.15!