[Xposed][MOD][4.0+] XDictionary - Quick Dictionary Search Button

Search This thread

vin-ivar

Mar 4, 2011
Pune
Introduction:

XDictionary adds a quick dictionary search popup button to text you select. The popup is extremely non-intrusive (similar to iOS), and appears next to the Paste/Replace buttons. It then opens the definition of the selected word.

Now, you don't need to bother with opening your dictionary app, typing in the whole word and hitting search - it's essentially just a one-click procedure.

IMPORTANT: after installing, run the app, and allow it to copy dictionary data to external memory. If the app force closes, delete the folder /xdictionary, and reboot. For a proper install, there should be nine files in /xdictionary/dict - the folder will be around 33 megabytes. If all else fails, you can manually make the folders, and download the files from here.

Limitations:

• Currently only works in text input fields where Paste/Replace do show up. Making it global for all text is high priority.
  • Supports only English. Support for other languages may or may not happen, depends on the response.

Bugs:

• May break for certain OEM skins or ROMs with heavily modified UIs.
  • Occasional force closes when you try to copy dictionary data

Source:

https://github.com/vinit-ivar/XDictionary

Future:

Module has been abandoned, as of now; support for custom UIs and ROMs that modify standard AOSP is unlikely. When and if Xposed is ported to Lollipop, I shall start working on porting the module.

Donate:

If you liked the app, and you're feeling generous, do buy the Google Play version! Developing while going through college can be pretty tiring work, and I like the way this app is going.

Download:

The APK is attached; knock yourselves out!

Changelog:

Code:
1.1.0 - dictionary is now offline.
1.0.0 - added support for Toast (donate) and popup windows.
0.9.0 - initial version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-28-11-36-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-28-11-36-49.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 14,386
  • Screenshot_2014-06-28-11-37-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-28-11-37-06.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 13,503
  • Screenshot_2014-07-15-16-15-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-15-16-15-14.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 10,027
  • Screenshot_2014-07-15-16-15-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-15-16-15-34.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 9,090
  • XDictionary_v1.1.0_demo.apk
    10.3 MB · Views: 5,186
Last edited:

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Limitations:

• Opens the definition in your browser. Support for installed apps will be added soon.

Awesome idea. Support for the dictionary.com app would be the best place to start, IMO (it's the most popular, and their widget is great). Merriam-Webster and Oxford English also have apps. If you figure this out, you could also extend it to search Wikipedia, which would be a fantastic idea too.

I don't know nothin 'bout programming or porting, but something similar to the way those Words with Friends cheat apps have a built-in dictionary search might be something to look in to.

RedBeardT

Aug 1, 2013
Looks like a great app. Just took the leap and purchased through Google Play because of all the potential features mentioned in the reddit thread.

Upon installation though it does not appear to work?

Perhaps I misunderstood the functionality of this module so could you give me a scenario to try to test? I'm not given the option to define when selecting text in Chrome(address bar), or Hangouts (text input field).

I'm running SlimKat ROM with their gapps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simba501

jorv976

Feb 21, 2011
Lol. Very nice. And useful. Thank you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

cdonald

Jun 8, 2014
NJ
Is it possible for the "define" button to not show up next to paste when pasting something that is more than one word?

vin-ivar

Mar 4, 2011
Pune
Looks like a great app. Just took the leap and purchased through Google Play because of all the potential features mentioned in the reddit thread.

Upon installation though it does not appear to work?

Perhaps I misunderstood the functionality of this module so could you give me a scenario to try to test? I'm not given the option to define when selecting text in Chrome(address bar), or Hangouts (text input field).

I'm running SlimKat ROM with their gapps.

I'm sorry to hear that; maybe SlimKat have modified their code.

Give me a day, I'll get back to you ASAP. Meanwhile, could you take a screenshot of the Paste/Replace thing?

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app

themadproducer

Aug 28, 2009
Is this the same problem RedBeardT was facing? If so, could you perhaps take a screenshot? It'll help.

@perseus0807
Thx for the speedy reply.
Probably no need for screen shot. I simply don't get any extra button or text when highlighting text anywhere whether in a input box or on a page etc. But I get my usual copy/paste etc. Let me know how else I can help.
Cheers

vin-ivar

Mar 4, 2011
Pune
@RedBeardT:

Give me 'til tonight, maybe tomorrow, I'll do my best to have a solution or a fix up.

@themadproducer: okay, scratch what I said earlier; that was for another ROM. Can I have a screenshot anyway? Some manufacturers skin the buttons, which may lead to the problems.

Last edited:

myxor

Nov 17, 2008
Great work!
Would like to see a german version or support for german dictionaries at some time :)

tupacpsp

Jan 10, 2012
Love this, Dutch addition would be great!

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Vtrendzzy

Nov 13, 2012
This isn't working but i really hope it does asap. I'm on xperia u AOSX 4.4.3 pure aosp. :)

Diljinder

Oct 22, 2010
I'm using this module on rooted Stock LG E970. The define button does appear in text selection menu but it's overlapping with the other button (select all) in that menu.

This is not dev's fault at all. LG has modified the system heavily like other OEMs. I'm attaching the screenshot, but if dev needs any other device/ROM specific information like systemui.apk etc, I'll happily provide that.

5uzute4e.jpg

vin-ivar

Mar 4, 2011
Pune
Great work!
Would like to see a german version or support for german dictionaries at some time :)

Haha. Ich brauche ein deutsches Wörterbuch auch, ich werde es bald ergänzen. :)

This is not dev's fault at all. LG has modified the system heavily like other OEMs. I'm attaching the screenshot, but if dev needs any other device/ROM specific information like systemui.apk etc, I'll happily provide that.

Thank you for understanding! :) Actually, there is something ROM specific I do need - the frameworks/base/core/java/android/widget/Editor.java file. I'm not sure if it'll be present in all ROMs, but I'd love it if you had a look.

RedBeardT

Aug 1, 2013

Does this imply that an update of the module will be required with each update of the ROM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:

XDictionary adds a quick dictionary search popup button to text you select. The popup is extremely non-intrusive (similar to iOS), and appears next to the Paste/Replace buttons. It then opens the definition of the selected word.

Now, you don't need to bother with opening your dictionary app, typing in the whole word and hitting search - it's essentially just a one-click procedure.

IMPORTANT: after installing, run the app, and allow it to copy dictionary data to external memory. If the app force closes, delete the folder /xdictionary, and reboot. For a proper install, there should be nine files in /xdictionary/dict - the folder will be around 33 megabytes. If all else fails, you can manually make the folders, and download the files from here.

Limitations:

• Currently only works in text input fields where Paste/Replace do show up. Making it global for all text is high priority.
    • Supports only English. Support for other languages may or may not happen, depends on the response.

Bugs:

• May break for certain OEM skins or ROMs with heavily modified UIs.
    • Occasional force closes when you try to copy dictionary data

Source:

https://github.com/vinit-ivar/XDictionary

Future:

Module has been abandoned, as of now; support for custom UIs and ROMs that modify standard AOSP is unlikely. When and if Xposed is ported to Lollipop, I shall start working on porting the module.

Donate:

If you liked the app, and you're feeling generous, do buy the Google Play version! Developing while going through college can be pretty tiring work, and I like the way this app is going.

Download:

The APK is attached; knock yourselves out!

Changelog:

Code:
    1.1.0 - dictionary is now offline.
    1.0.0 - added support for Toast (donate) and popup windows.
    0.9.0 - initial version.
    thanks for new module, but I do not see it useful cause it opens browser and also I can jut copy paste anything from anywhere by using swype and "copy paste it" app.

I'll be adding Toast and popup meanings in an update today. Then you can choose which of the three you want; Toast, popup or browser.
    I'm not getting anything in the little bar when I select a word. Also I'm only able to choose either popup or browser, can't set it to a toast!
    Att galaxy note 3 running biggins 4.4.2 ROM.
    This module has been shelved.

Use the below module instead

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2994035

It is under constant development with highly active dev
    A Working Alternative for All Android Versions

Just download and install this and copy the text like normal. 3 icons will appear and just click on Aa and you will be given the definitions in a nice overlay. This was on the official app store and taken down for some unknown reason.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mimeo/files/Android/

Not anymore - development was dead for a while because my laptop was having problems, needed to get it serviced. Just got it back an hour ago, should resume work in a day or two.