Clearing up the display issue of the Xperia Z

Search This thread

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hello guys! I am making this thread in order to solve the confusion about the display of the Xperia Z. I was a bit surprised today when I saw my rss flooding with the discussion of how crap the display was on the retail models.

To start of I would like to tell you all that both the Docomo variant and international variant of Xperia Z display are the same! They both are using the Renesas R63311 variant of LCDs. Which is using actually Sharp technology for the displays. Yeah it's not made by sony.

http://www.rsp.renesas.com/en/news/2012/news20120418.htm

So the issue of the color saturation between the international model and docomo model is suppose to be the calibration of the values of the display(a configuration in the kernel level).

In short the issue is within the software side and not the hardware so NO it's not true that sony did put cheaper displays on the international version compared to the docomo versions. Cause there's no cheap and premium edition of the Renesas R63311 model.

Now most of you would probably doubt me now on how I was able to tell you this and what are my sources.

Now being a kernel developer and have very solid knowledge with hardwares I would like to show you here concrete proofs of what I am talking about (Kernel developers are welcome to prove my point here)

Here is the kernel config file of the docomo version of Xperia Z

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-.../configs/fusion3_yuga_dcm_defconfig?at=master

The boolean configs for the display drivers is located in line 398 and 399.
Code:
CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY70=y
CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_SHARP_LS050T3SX01=y

Looking at the Makefile
https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-...7/kernel/drivers/video/msm/Makefile?at=master

the display drivers of those configs basically call out the files
Code:
obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY70) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_jdc_mdy70.o
obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY80) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_jdc_mdy80.o
obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_SHARP_LS050T3SX01) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_sharp_ls050t3sx01.o

Now how can I tell that it is the one used by Xperia Z?

If you view the board files of the Xperia Z the display if defined here.

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-...ch-msm/board-sony_fusion3-display.c?at=master

Code:
#ifdef CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY70
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_dlogo_02,
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_dlogo_2a,
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_dlogo,
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_1a,
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_1a_02,
	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id,
#endif /* CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY70 */
#ifdef CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY80
	&jdc_mdy80_black_panel_id,
	&jdc_mdy80_white_panel_id,
#endif /* CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY80 */
#ifdef CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_SHARP_LS050T3SX01
	&sharp_ls050t3sx01_panel_id_dlogo_01,
	&sharp_ls050t3sx01_panel_id_dlogo,
	&sharp_ls050t3sx01_panel_id_1a,
	&sharp_ls050t3sx01_panel_id_1a_02,
	&sharp_ls050t3sx01_panel_id,
#endif /* CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_SHARP_LS050T3SX01 */

Now this alone proves that Docomo version indeed uses the display I mentioned. Now how do I prove that it is the same as with the international version? Of course by providing the kernel sources of the international version also.

Now here's the config file for the

International version of Xperia Z:
https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y.../arm/configs/fusion3_yuga_defconfig?at=master

on line 391 & 392:

Defconfig of Xperia ZL for reference here

International version of Xperia ZL:

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y.../arm/configs/fusion3_odin_defconfig?at=master

And board files of the international version of Xperia Z.

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y...ch-msm/board-sony_fusion3-display.c?at=master

Code:
        &jdc_mdy70_panel_id_1a,
        &jdc_mdy70_panel_id,

You can see the similar display drivers being used by the international version & docomo version here.

So my point here is demo model or not. Docomo variant or not they all use the same LCD technology! There's no difference!

Now how do I prove to all of you that they're not the same kernel sources and I didn't just made duplicates and remove some files?

Compare these yourself.

Docomo version:
http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...s/open-source-archive-for-build-10-1-d-0-317/

International version:
http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...s/open-source-archive-for-build-10-1-a-1-350/

All in all the very basic logic here is that you can't use a single display driver on different types of hardware which should make a point that if two different sources uses the same driver only leads to having the same hardware.

Last edited:

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
Ok, excuse my noobiness here, but are the "display levels" able to be fiddled with? Or is it likely to be part of some binary that we can't do anything about.

M.

Reactions: mobde3

jigarpatel22

Feb 1, 2013
Pune
Does it mean we will be able to correct display issue with display calibration application ?

Already clicked thanks :) Thanks for the detailed information :)

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
When Comparing the NA Xperia Z (production carrier testing model) to a HTC One X, it is abundantly obvious the screen isn't up to par.

Not sure if software can correct atrocious viewing angles and contrast.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Ok, excuse my noobiness here, but are the "display levels" able to be fiddled with? Or is it likely to be part of some binary that we can't do anything about.

M.

Hi! I only did a quick glance on the whole code to confirm that docomo and international version have the same types of display but I haven't messed yet with the whole display driver itself. I don't have any device yet to try messing with the driver configuration so I can't say yet. But most likely yes it is possible.

Does it mean we will be able to correct display issue with display calibration application ?

Already clicked thanks :) Thanks for the detailed information :)

Suppose to be yes. Like what I have said above I don't have any devices yet to debug this one but if the display calibration software sony included in the ROM is directly controlling the color enhancement and gamma(for saturation) then mostlikely it is possible.

When Comparing the NA Xperia Z (production carrier testing model) to a HTC One X, it is abundantly obvious the screen isn't up to par.

Not sure if software can correct atrocious viewing angles and contrast.

I don't own any HTC One series phones so I can't compare actually but they are a whole different type of displays so I really can't tell if it's possible to calibrate it to be on par with the One X.

Edit: I am not familiar with Tegra 3 might take a while before I can check HTC One X

Last edited:

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Ok this is good news..gave a thanks :)

If the software isnt included ill try get an XZ from japan only..do thy sell unlocked units?

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Same with me. My eye currently is on HTC M7 since I got attracted by the frontal stereo speakers. But if it's the same like other One Series with unremoveable battery + no sd slot then back on anticipating the Xperia ZL. :D Being a current HTC user I find sense a very battery hog type of UI. Having a small battery capacity and unremoveable one would be a very big no for me. My current HTC device has already killed 2 batteries in 2 years and I don't want that to happen on a unremoveable battery phone. At least let us change batteries if it died. lol don't want a disposable device on my hand.

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009
Does the ZL use the same screen? Since it is thicker it might use a non economical IPS???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: iRapeLay

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Does the ZL use the same screen? Since it is thicker it might use a non economical IPS???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

ZL does use the same screen as Xperia Z and what's economical IPS? If you're talking about e-IPS it's Enhanced-IPS not Economical-IPS. There's no such thing.

Also isn't e-IPS made by LG? And the display here isn't from LG but from sharp.

As you can see in the document it is a LTPS type of panel.

Panel Low-temperature poly-silicon (LTPS) TFT

Last edited:
Reactions: millicent

vivftp

Dec 11, 2011
Hmmmmm, a lot of people seemed convinced these displays were from JDI... so this is not the case? Interesting.

IF they are all Sharp displays, could that explain relatively crappy screen performance?

Phorgasmic

Oct 2, 2012
Luzern
wow relatively crappy?!??!
what the... i mean its not top of the notch 2013 highend screen, but it sure does look sexy as hell in my eyes...

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hmmmmm, a lot of people seemed convinced these displays were from JDI... so this is not the case? Interesting.

IF they are all Sharp displays, could that explain relatively crappy screen performance?

Even I was also convinced on the past. But when the kernel source code was released this confirmed the real display being used.

There are actually 3 types of TF displays in general which are being used by phones.

AH-IPS, LTPS and ASV

AH-IPS are somewhat the AMOLED killer(Might be the display used by HTC)

LTPS which is being used by Xperia Z/ZL are the displays which is famous for being low power

ASV on which has the advantage of having a clear wide angle display.

I assume sony did get the LTPS display for utilizing the low power feature it has. This probably the reason why every review we get says that we are having excellent battery life for a 5 incher phone with high end chipsets.

So I'm not sure about what you're saying about crappy screen performance but if you're talking about the angle washed out issue then probably this is a screen issue.

If it's the saturation of the overall screen I'd say it's a software issue :)

I'm sure sony could fix it. It's just a matter of setting the ARGB values of windows manager of ROM they compiled.

This must be the reason also why Docomo version has good display while others aren't. Assuming that the Docomo version is a customized OS and not the generic one probably different developers must have made/compiled the OS.

vivftp

Dec 11, 2011
wow relatively crappy?!??!
what the... i mean its not top of the notch 2013 highend screen, but it sure does look sexy as hell in my eyes...

I agree they are great. By relatively crappy I was both referring to peoples perceptions of it and the fact that some people say the phones they have seen are great and others say they are bad. Originally it was believed the screen came from JDI, so if they are using screens from both companies that could explain this discrepency if the Sharp panels aren't up to snuff

Reactions: ar47vn

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
:D found a decent description of the 3

AH-IPS
This display technology has been invented by LG. It is an abbreviation for Advanced High performing - In-Plane Switching LCD. It is being touted as the actual competitor to Samsung's 'Super AMOLED' display. In a competition held by 'Intertek', LG's AH-IPS display actually defeated Samsung's Super AMOLED in 2 parameters: Color-Accuracy and Power-Efficiency. You can find this display in the recently released LG Nitro HD.

LTPS
This is an abbreviation for 'Low Temperature Poly Silicon' LCD. One of the important characteristics of such displays is that, the drive circuits are directly integrated onto the glass surface which contributes to reducing the number of component parts designed on the outside substrate. This leads to the display's durability being enhanced. The reduced size of the TFT section leads to a crisper display and also leads to lower power consumption. You can find this display in the Lenovo LePad S2005.

ASV
This is an abbreviation for Advanced Super View display. The important characteristic of this display is that it offers excellent viewing angles and competes with the In-Plane Switching (IPS) LCDs. You can find this display in theMeizu MX.

Phorgasmic

Oct 2, 2012
Luzern
yea sorry i sounded a bit harsh, my Z arrives today and the discussion about the display here just got me..

had a S2 for a year now, lets see how the switch will be :) cant wait to get home to my phone today in a few hours!!!!

sorry for OT

vivftp

Dec 11, 2011
yea sorry i sounded a bit harsh, my Z arrives today and the discussion about the display here just got me..

had a S2 for a year now, lets see how the switch will be :) cant wait to get home to my phone today in a few hours!!!!

sorry for OT

All good. I shall be getting the ZL as soon as it hits Canada in April. The screen easily destroys the one on my x10a, and that is all that matters to me.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City

sorry for OT

Hi! If you don't mind could you try installing this software on your Xperia Z?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&hl=en

And see if you can fix the saturation like they say.

If you can then I can confirm that the issue is within the ROM it is using and not in the display nor the gamma values defined on the kernel.

Reactions: cheltenham2004

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
All good. I shall be getting the ZL as soon as it hits Canada in April. The screen easily destroys the one on my x10a, and that is all that matters to me.

Same with me :D I wouldn't exchange the IR Blaster, smaller size, comfortable back portion, Cool notification lights, Dedicated Camera Button, higher battery capacity(even if it's way too little it's still higher)

over waterproofness & classy looks only.

vivftp

Dec 11, 2011
Same with me :D I wouldn't exchange the IR Blaster, smaller size, comfortable back portion, Cool notification lights, Dedicated Camera Button, higher battery capacity(even if it's way too little it's still higher)

over waterproofness & classy looks only.

Well the only other thing the Z MIGHT possibly have over the ZL is drop test durability, but no way to know for certain until they're actually dropped. My guess is they will either be equal or the ZL will be better, but so far we've only seen the Z dropped and survive everytime just fine.

I do like the idea of the dock for the Z, but I can live without that. I do wonder if Sony will have a dock for the ZL too...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys! I am making this thread in order to solve the confusion about the display of the Xperia Z. I was a bit surprised today when I saw my rss flooding with the discussion of how crap the display was on the retail models.

To start of I would like to tell you all that both the Docomo variant and international variant of Xperia Z display are the same! They both are using the Renesas R63311 variant of LCDs. Which is using actually Sharp technology for the displays. Yeah it's not made by sony.

http://www.rsp.renesas.com/en/news/2012/news20120418.htm

So the issue of the color saturation between the international model and docomo model is suppose to be the calibration of the values of the display(a configuration in the kernel level).

In short the issue is within the software side and not the hardware so NO it's not true that sony did put cheaper displays on the international version compared to the docomo versions. Cause there's no cheap and premium edition of the Renesas R63311 model.

Now most of you would probably doubt me now on how I was able to tell you this and what are my sources.

Now being a kernel developer and have very solid knowledge with hardwares I would like to show you here concrete proofs of what I am talking about (Kernel developers are welcome to prove my point here)

Here is the kernel config file of the docomo version of Xperia Z

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-.../configs/fusion3_yuga_dcm_defconfig?at=master

The boolean configs for the display drivers is located in line 398 and 399.
    Code:

Looking at the Makefile
    https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-...7/kernel/drivers/video/msm/Makefile?at=master

the display drivers of those configs basically call out the files
    Code:
    obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY70) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_jdc_mdy70.o
    obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_JDC_MDY80) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_jdc_mdy80.o
    obj-$(CONFIG_FB_MSM_MIPI_R63311_SHARP_LS050T3SX01) += mipi_dsi_panel_r63311_sharp_ls050t3sx01.o

Now how can I tell that it is the one used by Xperia Z?

If you view the board files of the Xperia Z the display if defined here.

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/so-02e-...ch-msm/board-sony_fusion3-display.c?at=master

Code:
    	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id_1a,
    	&jdc_mdy70_panel_id,

Now this alone proves that Docomo version indeed uses the display I mentioned. Now how do I prove that it is the same as with the international version? Of course by providing the kernel sources of the international version also.

Now here's the config file for the

International version of Xperia Z:
    https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y.../arm/configs/fusion3_yuga_defconfig?at=master

on line 391 & 392:

Defconfig of Xperia ZL for reference here

International version of Xperia ZL:

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y.../arm/configs/fusion3_odin_defconfig?at=master

And board files of the international version of Xperia Z.

https://bitbucket.org/Don2x/intl.-y...ch-msm/board-sony_fusion3-display.c?at=master

Code:
            &jdc_mdy70_panel_id_1a,
            &jdc_mdy70_panel_id,

You can see the similar display drivers being used by the international version & docomo version here.

So my point here is demo model or not. Docomo variant or not they all use the same LCD technology! There's no difference!

Now how do I prove to all of you that they're not the same kernel sources and I didn't just made duplicates and remove some files?

Compare these yourself.

Docomo version:
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...s/open-source-archive-for-build-10-1-d-0-317/

International version:
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/dow...s/open-source-archive-for-build-10-1-a-1-350/

All in all the very basic logic here is that you can't use a single display driver on different types of hardware which should make a point that if two different sources uses the same driver only leads to having the same hardware.
    :D found a decent description of the 3

AH-IPS
    This display technology has been invented by LG. It is an abbreviation for Advanced High performing - In-Plane Switching LCD. It is being touted as the actual competitor to Samsung's 'Super AMOLED' display. In a competition held by 'Intertek', LG's AH-IPS display actually defeated Samsung's Super AMOLED in 2 parameters: Color-Accuracy and Power-Efficiency. You can find this display in the recently released LG Nitro HD.

LTPS
    This is an abbreviation for 'Low Temperature Poly Silicon' LCD. One of the important characteristics of such displays is that, the drive circuits are directly integrated onto the glass surface which contributes to reducing the number of component parts designed on the outside substrate. This leads to the display's durability being enhanced. The reduced size of the TFT section leads to a crisper display and also leads to lower power consumption. You can find this display in the Lenovo LePad S2005.

ASV
    This is an abbreviation for Advanced Super View display. The important characteristic of this display is that it offers excellent viewing angles and competes with the In-Plane Switching (IPS) LCDs. You can find this display in theMeizu MX.
    I would argue that this is the Xperia Z forum, so as long as we are talking about the XZ, whats the problem?
    You have every right to praise the XZ, and we have every right to slate it for not being good enough.

That's the text book definition of trolling.

The people who are actually 'praising' or are excited about the device are actually enamored with the device and intend to buy it - they are hence in pursuit of talking about every aspect of their future purchase amongst themselves.

The other party will have nothing to do with the device - and so are just continously slating it for no apparent reason and, by doing so, just annoy everyone else by repeatedly bringing up 'bad' things about the device WE ALREADY KNOW.

Classic trolling, if you ask me.
    According to this staff member the displays are the same on all Sony Xperia Z handsets.

chat2.jpg
    No, unfortunately Sony is late to the game again, just like every other time they have released a phone to the market.

Had the Xperia Z been released when the DNA was... sure.

But not now. Not a chance in hell.

So why spend every moment of time on this forum slating it? If there is another device you like, then go to that forum and enjoy your phone and stop trying to make all of us out as if we're imbeciles.

Just a kind request to leave us in peace :) not just you but everyone else who is making it a mission to slate this phone with every ounce of breadth.

ITS A GOOD PHONE AND I LIKE IT....SO WHAT'S ALL OF YOUR PROBLEM? :D

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium