Wondering if Nexus 5 issues are fixable yet

Search This thread

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
I bought a Nexus 5 on day 1 and quickly returned it once i got it. The screen was so badly washed out it made my Nexus 4 look like a 4K TV, sound quality was just horrible and the defect was insane distortion and crackling coming from the speaker on many songs, I even posted about that here and i wasn't alone.

I returned it and decided to stick with my N4 for another year, since then the bluetooth, camera, and phone are all failing on my nexus 4, i can't focus the camera, bluetooth cuts out constantly and the phone hangs up for no reason with perfect service. So i badly need a new phone now. I hate to even consider another nexus from LG considering what's happening to my N4 but it's more expensive to get a new N4 or Moto X than it is a N5.

So i'm hoping that someone can tell me if through a rom, kernel, app that the washed out screen and terrible sound quality are fixable.

Simple as that. I'd be willing to give the N5 another shot if i can install something that will get the screen to look normal and sound to not sound so ungodly terrible. I had to do that on the Galaxy Nexus for over a year and if i have to do it again so be it. Better that than having a broken phone like i do right now.

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

For the colors it's on the kernel side so you can try ElementalX, Faux123 or Franco kernels. They also have sound improvements, tunables via apps, like the colour control. Just take a look in the OP of the kernel threads.

There is also this mod for the sound: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532788, I use it and it works great for me.

:)

Last edited:

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
Hi,

For the colors it's on the kernel side so you can try ElementalX, Faux123 or Franco kernels. They also have sound improvements, tunables via apps, like the colour control. Just take a look in the OP of the kernel threads.

There is also this mod for the sound: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532788, I use it and it works great for me.

Thanks for the fast reply. So for the colors guess it's probably the same as the GNex where someone comes up with the perfect setting and we all use it?

And the sound mod sounds interesting. I do remember the volume being quite low yet still having terrible quality. Does that improve upon the quality at all? It was just shocking how my N4, hell my 3DS had better sound quality than the N5.

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Thanks for the fast reply. So for the colors guess it's probably the same as the GNex where someone comes up with the perfect setting and we all use it?

And the sound mod sounds interesting. I do remember the volume being quite low yet still having terrible quality. Does that improve upon the quality at all? It was just shocking how my N4, hell my 3DS had better sound quality than the N5.
Yes, for example in Franco thread or in the Franco kernel FAQ thread you have a ton of profiles, it depends on your tastes but the "washed" screen is easily fixed.
For the sound mod it's mainly about louder sound, but for me it seems "clearer" (?), but I'm not a melomane then... maybe I have not the right ears :D

Like rootSU said if you really want a total control over the quality, try Viper4Android...

Last edited:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I bought a Nexus 5 on day 1 and quickly returned it once i got it. The screen was so badly washed out it made my Nexus 4 look like a 4K TV, sound quality was just horrible and the defect was insane distortion and crackling coming from the speaker on many songs, I even posted about that here and i wasn't alone.

I returned it and decided to stick with my N4 for another year, since then the bluetooth, camera, and phone are all failing on my nexus 4, i can't focus the camera, bluetooth cuts out constantly and the phone hangs up for no reason with perfect service. So i badly need a new phone now. I hate to even consider another nexus from LG considering what's happening to my N4 but it's more expensive to get a new N4 or Moto X than it is a N5.

So i'm hoping that someone can tell me if through a rom, kernel, app that the washed out screen and terrible sound quality are fixable.

Simple as that. I'd be willing to give the N5 another shot if i can install something that will get the screen to look normal and sound to not sound so ungodly terrible. I had to do that on the Galaxy Nexus for over a year and if i have to do it again so be it. Better that than having a broken phone like i do right now.

Its been 2 years and key components are failing? that's no good for LG

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
Well finally got my N5 and franco kernel worked perfectly for the screen quality. Few presets i'm switching between as i try to find the right spot. So much better than it was on the GNex though.

Sound wise not too happy so far. the rom i'm using has DSP manager and i played around with that but couldn't really get anything to sound that much better, same with viper. The louder mod did work but actually almost made it too loud and the phone as is is actually pretty loud, not as loud as my N4 but it's good enough so far.

one thing i noticed with DSP manager and Viper is that they didn't seem to affect ringtones or anything other than the music app. Is there anyway to get them to do that, or any other form of system wide audio improvement that will affect 100% of all sounds through the speaker?

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com

the displays inside the nexus 5 are all different. just like some chips can handle more undervolting than others. some will find one color preset better than another. franco has a couple dozen color presets from the community in his app that make testing very easy

hawktalon

Feb 9, 2014
RMA

My N5 works fine. Yours must have been defective. Also, there are lots of mods out there that allows you to change the screen color temperature out there so might as well give it a try if you still think it is problematic after RMA.