[Q] My friend has a strange S3 with a strange rom that can't be rooted properly.

Search This thread
Jan 29, 2014
My friend bought an S3 off a friend and at first I told him that it was a fake.
But after looking around the device a bit it looked fairly legit to me, but had this awkward Rom.
It's called OmegaRom and I found it on this website: http://omegadroid.co/omega-roms/
I tried rootchecker and it came up as not being rooted. But on a separate occasion it came up as being rooted.
I installed CWM and Saved a backup. When I tried installing C-RoM it didn't work and just wiped data and cache.

When I connect the USB it doesn't show up on my PC even with USB Debugging enabled so I can't root it properly.

Does anyone know anything about this device and how I can root it without breaking my friends phone?

Here is the Device information:

1012575_288509384655775_4870927307532061871_n.jpg

Curst

Nov 2, 2011
Redmi K20 Pro
4.2.2 never got beyond test firmware for us, my guess is that what's messing with the rooting.

Tapped with Tapatalk on my GT-I9300 running rooted and debloated stock 4.3.

jojohnson250

Dec 1, 2013
My friend bought an S3 off a friend and at first I told him that it was a fake.
But after looking around the device a bit it looked fairly legit to me, but had this awkward Rom.
It's called OmegaRom and I found it on this website: http://omegadroid.co/omega-roms/
I tried rootchecker and it came up as not being rooted. But on a separate occasion it came up as being rooted.
I installed CWM and Saved a backup. When I tried installing C-RoM it didn't work and just wiped data and cache.

When I connect the USB it doesn't show up on my PC even with USB Debugging enabled so I can't root it properly.

Does anyone know anything about this device and how I can root it without breaking my friends phone?

Here is the Device information:

1012575_288509384655775_4870927307532061871_n.jpg

Flash stock firmware via odin. (maybe 4.1.2) then you can root or update to 4.3 and then root.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk
Flash stock firmware via odin. (maybe 4.1.2) then you can root or update to 4.3 and then root.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes, very good advice, if PC does not see his phone.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

First things first. Go to google play, install phone INFO samsung, check if it is fake or not.

If it is genuine, use google search engine, find thread related with saferoot, first. It will give you info about the last version of ROM which saferoot is able to root without tripping anything. Then, look for that version of STOCK firmware, flashable via CWM.
finally, flash the stock via CWM (do not forget to wipe phone via CWM before and after).
Check if phone can be recognized by PC. If so, root it.