Xbmc to Chromecast - Just got easier

Search This thread

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
I don't disagree with anything you said in the last post and I never said this was great solution. I only disagreed when you implied you were transcoding non-native Chromecast files in Plex and achieving 1080P.

UOTE=Asphyx;53701323]Vincent you really need to read what I'm saying.....

All of these channels (XBMC and PLEX) are nothing more than Metadata menu creators that take information from a publicly available internet website (either via RSS, XML or Direct DB read), And create a list of links to go to and view the content.

You can get everything you think you are getting now without the need to run XBMC (or Plex for that matter) by simply going to the website for that content DIRECTLY..and then you have the option of casting a tab if you have to or in some cases those sites will have Chromecast support already in their Player (see ESPN who uses JW Player that now has CCast support natively).

You will get just as good a quality as you think you are getting from XBMC (or Plex) with screen casting and in cases where CCast is supported, even BETTER quality as no transcoding is needed at all!

I would LOVE IT if XBMC supported CCast....I just wish everyone who wants it to work with CCast would get on XBMC Dev's case and get them to implement it.

I sympathize with the Cord Cutters need to get channels in an easy to use interface on a CCast...
But we would all be better off if we would all focus more on getting the channels you want working on a product that DOES support the CCast...
Or getting XBMC to get with the program and support the desires of it's user base![/QUOTE]

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
You could use this to watch any stream, not just Xbmc.

I don't disagree with anything you said in the last post and I never said this was great solution. I only disagreed when you implied you were transcoding non-native Chromecast files in Plex and achieving 1080P.

UOTE=Asphyx;53701323]Vincent you really need to read what I'm saying.....

All of these channels (XBMC and PLEX) are nothing more than Metadata menu creators that take information from a publicly available internet website (either via RSS, XML or Direct DB read), And create a list of links to go to and view the content.

You can get everything you think you are getting now without the need to run XBMC (or Plex for that matter) by simply going to the website for that content DIRECTLY..and then you have the option of casting a tab if you have to or in some cases those sites will have Chromecast support already in their Player (see ESPN who uses JW Player that now has CCast support natively).

You will get just as good a quality as you think you are getting from XBMC (or Plex) with screen casting and in cases where CCast is supported, even BETTER quality as no transcoding is needed at all!

I would LOVE IT if XBMC supported CCast....I just wish everyone who wants it to work with CCast would get on XBMC Dev's case and get them to implement it.

I sympathize with the Cord Cutters need to get channels in an easy to use interface on a CCast...
But we would all be better off if we would all focus more on getting the channels you want working on a product that DOES support the CCast...
Or getting XBMC to get with the program and support the desires of it's user base!
[/QUOTE]

jazzmachine

Jan 9, 2013
Chicago
I agree that CC implementation in XBMC would be awesome, but I've been using a sort of "integrated" solution to cast my (temporary) XBMC library.

I just moved and haven't set up all of my AV stuff or my desktop computer (just using a laptop for now). I picked up a Chromecast to watch... stuff (Netflix) on my TV while I redo my fairly complex setup including my main XBMC library. I'm really impressed with the device, IMO much better than watching Netflix in a browser window or XBMCflix. Anyways, I've had the Mediabrowser3 server, which is fantastic for scraping metadata / artwork for media and integrates with XBMC via the MB3 plugin, installed on my desktop since around Gotham. Also the Android app is quite nice, and as I've learned, recently integrated Chromecast streaming (!!!). I've always thought Plex was ok, but I have several problems with it. The show-stopping one is that the server simply will not connect through my vpn, and as my research has revealed, there's just no workaround. MB3 server (on LAN at least) isn't affected at all by connection / disconnection to the vpn, so that alone makes it the clear winner.

So while I've mainly been using the CC for Netflix, I've also used it to stream new content from my laptop, on which I installed the Mediabrowser server and organized new content XBMC library-style (which I'll add to my main library once it's up and running).

TL;DR Plex kind of sucks, IMO. MB3 is awesome and integrates with XBMC. MB3 can then play any content from your XBMC library to your Chromecast via the Android app (to a different, or even remote, TV perhaps?)

Last edited:

tharmor

Jun 18, 2013
Guys i am using XBMC on mobile. Need to cast channels on xbmc to chromecast !

Have tried the playercorefactory method but not all files play on it ! I have avia player and bubbleUpnp but not getting all the channels thru ! Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Guys i am using XBMC on mobile. Need to cast channels on xbmc to chromecast !

Have tried the playercorefactory method but not all files play on it ! I have avia player and bubbleUpnp but not getting all the channels thru ! Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

Channels will always be hit and miss with the CCast basically because of it's limited codec support.
If the Video is H.264 and Audio is AAC or MP3 then it should work...
The other issue is the Stream protocol used by the channel.
CCast is also limited in the types of streams it can accept.

The only solution is to hope that at some point all of these providers switch to something HTML5 compliant that do not require and plug in or add on to play...

As it stands now if the video doesn't play in a fresh install (no Add Ons) Chrome Browser then it probably will not play correctly on the CCast.

XBMC/KODI to Chromecast Android Apk

I found a working fork of xbmc/kodi that has build in native Chromecast support. Works fairly well using BubbleUPnP.
They also have various chipset builds as well like for TEGRA, ARM & x86.
I heard that soon there will be a rtmp version for streaming Live TV from xbmc/kodi to Chromecast using cast2tv pro

I cant promise anything but it works for me!

xbmchelper

XBMC/KODI to Chromecast Apk download... XBMCast

#chromecast #xbmc #kodi #xbmcast #kodicast #bubbleupnp #cast2tv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated - This is a how to on Casting Xbmc from Computer to TV for Free using the Chrome Browser. No more player core factory file needed and seems to play all formats including Live Streams.

http://youtu.be/4tm7-micx1s Instructional Video

Step 1. Go into Chrome Browser and add the Google Cast Extension at
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

Step 2. Download and install XBMC Windows version 13.1 Gotham at
    http://xbmc.org/download/

Step 3. Demonstration

Start Chromecast

Open Chrome Browser.....Hit Google Cast Button....Cast this Tab to Beta-Click down arrow on far right.....Cast Entire Screen-Experimental.....Click your Chromecast......Click Yes to Screen Sharing Request.

Start XBMC

Start your show and Chromecast automatically finds the Chrome Browser and plays the video on your Big TV.

Good Luck!
    This should play anything that plays on-computer. However it should be noted that it adds to CPU load on the computer as content is being recompressed on-the-fly and sent to Chromecast. Also, the quality of the image sent to Chromecast will be affected by your desktop resolution. Tab/Desktop casting gets iffy above 720p.