[Q] No data roaming option

Search This thread

gababros

Aug 20, 2014
Hi,

I bought a gsm unlocked sprint htc m8 from a 3rd party vendor recently. (It was only after the purchase that i realised it was a sprint phone). The phone worked pretty well on my network until i moved to a different city. The trouble is that data doesn't work here for some reason and there is no data roaming option on the device.

The vendor has agreed to sort it out but it will be quite a while before I go back and give him the device. So i wish to try something on my own.
My research on here has yielded that I probably need to change a few settings in the default.xml under system/customize/ACC. Or there could a better way of enabling it.

So far, all the steps I need to take seem disjointed and therefore I'd like someone to please guide me through a step by step process on how to enable the data roaming option. I'm sure I'd be able to follow the instructions as I've previously installed a custom rom on my HTC One S.

The phone is not rooted, although it says "tampered" when i enter the hboot menu. In the same menu it also says "unlocked"

Let me know if you want any further information:)

Last edited:

OMJ

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jun 11, 2007
MN
twitter.com
Hi,

I bought a gsm unlocked sprint htc m8 from a 3rd party vendor recently. (It was only after the purchase that i realised it was a sprint phone). The phone worked pretty well on my network until i moved to a different city. The trouble is that data doesn't work here for some reason and there is no data roaming option on the device.

The vendor has agreed to sort it out but it will be quite a while before I go back and give him the device. So i wish to try something on my own.
My research on here has yielded that I probably need to change a few settings in the default.xml under system/customize/ACC. Or there could a better way of enabling it.

So far, all the steps I need to take seem disjointed and therefore I'd like someone to please guide me through a step by step process on how to enable the data roaming option. I'm sure I'd be able to follow the instructions as I've previously installed a custom rom on my HTC One S.

The phone is not rooted, although it says "tampered" when i enter the hboot menu. In the same menu it also says "unlocked"

for Sprint users, the roaming appears after being activated/provisioned...you can try changing "sku_id" to 42 in system/customize/ACC/default.xml (it's near the bottom)....but u will need root to change that file. If you have TWRP recovery, it should prompt u (when rebooting to OS) to install root if it's not detected

Reactions: gababros

gababros

Aug 20, 2014
for Sprint users, the roaming appears after being activated/provisioned...you can try changing "sku_id" to 42 in system/customize/ACC/default.xml (it's near the bottom)....but u will need root to change that file. If you have TWRP recovery, it should prompt u (when rebooting to OS) to install root if it's not detected

Thanks!!! Much appreciated. So once i'm rooted, do I need some tool to pull the file off the phone or can i simply edit it on the device itself?
Yes I have TWRP, will it auto-root my device when i get the root prompt?

Also I read somewhere, under the default.xml these entries need to be changed to "true" or will changing the sku_id suffice?
<app name="Android_Ril">
<item type="boolean" name="allow_national_roaming">true</item>

<app name="Phone">
<item type="boolean" name="supportNationalRoaming">true</item>

OMJ

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jun 11, 2007
MN
twitter.com
Thanks!!! Much appreciated. So once i'm rooted, do I need some tool to pull the file off the phone or can i simply edit it on the device itself?
Yes I have TWRP, will it auto-root my device when i get the root prompt?

Also I read somewhere, under the default.xml these entries need to be changed to "true" or will changing the sku_id suffice?
<app name="Android_Ril">
<item type="boolean" name="allow_national_roaming">true</item>

<app name="Phone">
<item type="boolean" name="supportNationalRoaming">true</item>

you can edit on the phone, I use ES File Explorer to edit

yes, u can change those too, definitely wont hurt

here's another method to get the roaming options...http://xdaforums.com/sprint-htc-one-m8/general/sprint-roaming-guard-greyed-fix-t2807789

gababros

Aug 20, 2014
you can edit on the phone, I use ES File Explorer to edit

yes, u can change those too, definitely wont hurt

here's another method to get the roaming options...http://xdaforums.com/sprint-htc-one-m8/general/sprint-roaming-guard-greyed-fix-t2807789

The alternate method is for those who have the roaming options but are greyed out. In my case there is no option roaming option at all, may be because the phone is unactivated. Anyway I'll try the previous steps over the weekend and post results

gababros

Aug 20, 2014
The alternate method is for those who have the roaming options but are greyed out. In my case there is no option roaming option at all, may be because the phone is unactivated. Anyway I'll try the previous steps over the weekend and post results

Hey, so I installed Viper m8 rom, data now works in roaming but it catches only EDGE. 3g is not working. Any clues on how to make that work?

Avnish23

Aug 31, 2014
Bentonville
Hi,

I bought a GSM HTC One M8 from a third party vendor in India.

I don't get data roaming options in my phone. I have flashed it using Bad_Boyz_Sprint_ONE_M8_Harman_v1.5

Changed SKU_ID to 42. Updated data and voice roaming guards to Allowed as well. Still no success.

Can anyone help me out?

Please let me know if more information is required.

Thanks

Reuters

Apr 22, 2012
This did it for me

Hi,

I bought a GSM HTC One M8 from a third party vendor in India.

I don't get data roaming options in my phone. I have flashed it using Bad_Boyz_Sprint_ONE_M8_Harman_v1.5

Changed SKU_ID to 42. Updated data and voice roaming guards to Allowed as well. Still no success.

Can anyone help me out?

Please let me know if more information is required.

Thanks

This was posted by maethem and you should thank him:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2718150&page=4

You need to be S-off

Try the following on you responsibility
- You should know your SPC, you can read it with CDMA Workshop or CDMA DFS Tool.
- Install QSPT (http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2263391)
- enable diag mode ##3424#
- open QPST configuration, from port tab add your device diagnostics port.
- from start clients tab choose service programming then ok & click on read from phone.
- on system tab choose automatic for roam preferences.
- on UMTS System tab choose any for pref service domain & any band (last bottom right) for proffered band.
- click write to phone, then your device should work on GSM mode with modified HTCOMADM_SPCS.apk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,