Dusting off iPhone-Developers.com

Search This thread

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Recently we've been the target (via PM and email) of a coordinated effort by some users to get XDA to add an iPhone forum. This intensified a bit recently with the "jailbreaking is legal" news that came out a few weeks ago. We also recently “lost” a behind-the-scenes guy at XDA to the iPhone (someone who had donated countless hours to helping with site development and bug fixes).

Despite his pleading, some of the mods and I decided earlier this month that xda-developers is NOT the place for detailed iPhone discussion. There's just too much going on here. XDA is still digesting the move to add non-HTC WinMo/Android devices. And the site is just too darn big already!

With all that said: many of you know that we also own the iPhone-Developers.com domain. It was purchased years ago—mostly as a joke. Now, with the maturation of the iPhone community (in particular, the independent developer and jailbreak community) we are going to dust it off and launch an XDA sister site. The goal is to try to replicate the XDA feel while keeping XDA itself free of iPhone-related clutter. We see it as a win/win for everyone (iPhone lovers and haters alike). The aim of the site is to demystify jailbreaking and to make iPhone development more mainstream. Millions of people have benefited from the development work that has taken place at XDA over the last decade, and we want to bring these same benefits to iPhone owners.

If you are excited by this move, please keep your expectations in check: The site will be totally separate from XDA (separate mods, servers, everything) and will probably be somewhat "Wild West" to start out (like XDA in the early years). We have assigned a new admin—the former XDA tech volunteer referenced above. His user name is Arbre, and he also is doing all the tech development for the site. He hopes to have it launched (at least in beta form) in September.

We are looking for a few people to help get things started in the new forums. If you’ve got any jailbreak/development experience on the iPhone and want to help out just PM Arbre and he’ll get in touch with you when we’re closer to a beta launch.

Reactions: iBotPeaches

lemonspeakers

Jan 11, 2009
New York
Is there anyway to make a poll to see if anyone else is interested to the success of iphone-developers.com?

I already feel as though making another forum for iphone users is redundant since there is already tons of other ones light-years ahead on the web.

Think about how many successful "xda" look-a-likes are out there **Coughs... htc-pedia** <<-- NotMuch.

I just don't think it will be worth the effort, to be honest. Is there another thread where others are discussing this?

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is there anyway to make a poll to see if anyone else is interested to the success of iphone-developers.com?

I already feel as though making another forum for iphone users is redundant since there is already tons of other ones light-years ahead on the web.

Think about how many successful "xda" look-a-likes are out there **Coughs... htc-pedia** <<-- NotMuch.

I just don't think it will be worth the effort, to be honest. Is there another thread where others are discussing this?

Maybe you're right. But the launch of the site has been totally funded by a donor. We hope we create a somewhat unique vibe over there. But if not, then it hasn't hurt anyone. :cool:

Arbre

Aug 11, 2010

As the one who is actually building and running iphone-developers, I can tell you that for me it is definitely worth the effort. To even have the chance at creating something like xda for the iphone is incredibly exciting.

The only reason I got svetius and the site owners to consider this project in the first place was because of the number of requests we've gotten to add iphone forums -- it turns out a lot of xda users have iphones, and many have even switched altogether. Creating a new site for these people makes a lot of sense (to me at least).

Plus, as svetius said, there is really nothing to lose by trying. I'm the one bearing all of the work, and if you're not interested in apple products then xda will be the exact same as usual :)

-- Arbre

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
I'm just wondering if you are going to bride the two sites together, so that registered on one is registered on the other etc.

I doubt it...he said they will be completely separate, including separate servers etc...

I'm not an iphone person at all, but sounds like it will be very successful, with the xda name behind it!

twolf

Mar 5, 2006
LX
twolf.sytes.net
Excelent news!!!!

I'm slowly porting my apps (adding some more bling) to the iPhone with flash CS5, only made a beta of flashlight so far, but was hopping for the greatness of a XDA forum-like to "bind" all scatered users out there, in a way that only XDA can.
:)

Cant wait for it...

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

There are of course many other iPhone sites around as indeed there are for WM / Android etc. Included in that there is also a range of good and poor quality. However, we often talk about our "Community" here at xda-devs and this combined with good quality content is what defines a good forum site. Creating, the right atmosphere combined with quality content is what will also make or break a new iPhone site. It really doesn't matter about the volume of other sites if you can create a better feel in a new site people will move.

We should also not forget that there has been a 200% rise in the smartphone market over the past year and 93% of that has come from the iPhone. Consequently there is a vast and ever increasing number of potential members who have not established a loyalty to already existing sites.

Good luck to Arbre in getting this going, though I'm sure he doesn't need it:)

Mike

MordyT

Dec 15, 2008
Milwaukee WI
mordyt.com
That is a great question. I hope that this is possible. This way it also retains our reputation instead of starting from scratch while claiming that you are so and so.

We're trying to link the user databases of XDA and iPhone-Developers so that if you want, you can transfer your XDA account.

It is defiantly possible, and several sites exist today that show off that ability. I am glad you are looking into the option, as that will boost the amount of people who are active there.

mic_888

Retired News Writer
Sep 8, 2007
London
Looking forward to seeing this go live! Hopefully it will encompass the same community feel that XDA has nurtured and grown :)

Plus if XDA members who are interested in the iPhone also register with the IPD forum, we will bump into members with whom we may already be acquainted :D So we will have a ready made 'starting' community!

adriafix

Nov 23, 2007
What a great news

Excelent news!!!!

Since i bought my iphone, i no longer visit xda developers but now everything will be diferent.

Can´t wait :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently we've been the target (via PM and email) of a coordinated effort by some users to get XDA to add an iPhone forum. This intensified a bit recently with the "jailbreaking is legal" news that came out a few weeks ago. We also recently “lost” a behind-the-scenes guy at XDA to the iPhone (someone who had donated countless hours to helping with site development and bug fixes).

Despite his pleading, some of the mods and I decided earlier this month that xda-developers is NOT the place for detailed iPhone discussion. There's just too much going on here. XDA is still digesting the move to add non-HTC WinMo/Android devices. And the site is just too darn big already!

With all that said: many of you know that we also own the iPhone-Developers.com domain. It was purchased years ago—mostly as a joke. Now, with the maturation of the iPhone community (in particular, the independent developer and jailbreak community) we are going to dust it off and launch an XDA sister site. The goal is to try to replicate the XDA feel while keeping XDA itself free of iPhone-related clutter. We see it as a win/win for everyone (iPhone lovers and haters alike). The aim of the site is to demystify jailbreaking and to make iPhone development more mainstream. Millions of people have benefited from the development work that has taken place at XDA over the last decade, and we want to bring these same benefits to iPhone owners.

If you are excited by this move, please keep your expectations in check: The site will be totally separate from XDA (separate mods, servers, everything) and will probably be somewhat "Wild West" to start out (like XDA in the early years). We have assigned a new admin—the former XDA tech volunteer referenced above. His user name is Arbre, and he also is doing all the tech development for the site. He hopes to have it launched (at least in beta form) in September.

We are looking for a few people to help get things started in the new forums. If you’ve got any jailbreak/development experience on the iPhone and want to help out just PM Arbre and he’ll get in touch with you when we’re closer to a beta launch.
    What do you mean? Of course there is... The limit is the developers imagination... :)

thats really true^.^