[ROM] Alien ICS ★ Build #8 ★ The train won't stop going -- No way to slow down ★ 5/18

Search This thread

BigWopHH

Dec 30, 2009
I am also getting more force closes. I am not sure what the problem is though. Maybe its the leak itself. It started with Chrome (but only when I launched it), now Youtube is experiencing the same (again, only when I launch it). I wonder if it might be a Google log in issue or something across apps?

Yeah, it's weird. It's happening regularly for me with Words, Task Manager, and the e-mail app. But sometimes it'll do the random vibrate thing while I'm just looking at the home screen, and there's no error message displayed. Assuming it's a background task force closing and then restarting.

Was looking forward to ICS, but it's soooo NOT ready for prime time on the Skyrocket, even after all of ROMRacer's excellent work. I think it's back to GB for me until the devs get their hands on an official release and source for a few weeks.

mcchico

Dec 1, 2006
Icon between pages

Well here is a quirk I have not seen before; I installed Twitter from the Gplay and it put the icon behind the launcher. Could not use and it was between screens. Uninstalled/re-installed fixed it.

This happens with any icon. I have 4 stick between pages and cannot remove them.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

At the beginnings everything was perfect. But using for 24 hours realized that are some issues. I really like this ROM so perhaps there is some fixes to this soon. I want to add that this is the 2nd ROM I test (the first SilverUCLD2) and both have issues. This is something I believe expected at this early stage from a leak.
AT&T Syrocket i727

1. Icons getting stuck between pages.
  2. Many lock-ups and randoms freezes. Mainly with Media files.
  3. Issues checking emial: "Unable to load message. Message too long" -- random
  4. Delayed responses. I took the SDCARD out and response was much better. Perhaps is something with the cache and with sdcard with lost of media. My card is 32g and is 50% full.
  5. Folder size too large. When creating folders in home page, opening these folders are sized incorrectly and cannot be resized.

Last edited:

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
This happens with any icon. I have 4 stick between pages and cannot remove them.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

At the beginnings everything was perfect. But using for 24 hours realized that are some issues. I really like this ROM so perhaps there is some fixes to this soon. I want to add that this is the 2nd ROM I test (the first SilverUCLD2) and both have issues. This is something I believe expected at this early stage from a leak.
AT&T Syrocket i727

1. Icons getting stuck between pages.

As romracer stated, it is a TW Launcher bug. It happened on GB and other ROMS as well. It won't happen if you put icons on the homescreen yourself instead of letting the Play store do it for you.
  2. Many lock-ups and randoms freezes. Mainly with Media files.
  3. Issues checking emial: "Unable to load message. Message too long" -- random

I think these two issues are related. I had this problem to begin with and here is what I did to fix it. When you launch your Email program (not GMAIL but the stock Email program) try to delete a message. If it hangs (and it will if you have this issue) and says "deleting", but doesn't actually delete the message, press the "home" button on the bottom and get back to your homescreen (while your Email is still running). Then, go to "settings", "applications" and chose "running" (from the top). Scroll down until you find "Email" and click on it. You will see that it lists "Social hub" as running along with the Email app. Next, force stop the Email app. Then, scroll down a little more and you should see 2 instances of Social hub running. Force close both of those as well. Now go back to your home screen and open the applications manager and "close" Email. Open the stock Email again. All should be good now. This is what worked for me anyway.
  4. Delayed responses. I took the SDCARD out and response was much better. Perhaps is something with the cache and with sdcard with lost of media. My card is 32g and is 50% full.

Not sure about this one, but I noticed if you let the phone settle for a little while after a boot that it runs much quicker. Perhaps it could be a cache issue.

5. Folder size too large. When creating folders in home page, opening these folders are sized incorrectly and cannot be resized.

Not sure about this on either.

Try the Email fix and see if it works for you and let us know.

**Edit**

It is "Social Hub" that must be shut down in "Settings" / "Applications" / "Running" (from the top). 2 instances of it need to be shut down (stopped). This "fix" seems to work for me even through reboots and shutdown / restarts, but must be done "once" each time something new is installed via CWM.

Last edited:

mcchico

Dec 1, 2006
I decided to flash again and see how it goes.
I will post update tonight. The first flash was 7.1 followed but 7.2 update. This time 7.2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
I am also getting more force closes. I am not sure what the problem is though. Maybe its the leak itself. It started with Chrome (but only when I launched it), now Youtube is experiencing the same (again, only when I launch it). I wonder if it might be a Google log in issue or something across apps?

Yeah, it's weird. It's happening regularly for me with Words, Task Manager, and the e-mail app. But sometimes it'll do the random vibrate thing while I'm just looking at the home screen, and there's no error message displayed. Assuming it's a background task force closing and then restarting.

Was looking forward to ICS, but it's soooo NOT ready for prime time on the Skyrocket, even after all of ROMRacer's excellent work. I think it's back to GB for me until the devs get their hands on an official release and source for a few weeks.

Is there any way you can get me logcat's of the force closes? Also, try powering off instead of rebooting to see if it helps.

sjmoreno

Dec 19, 2010
DFW, TX
2 things: game crashes and email doesn't sync always

Didn't know where else to report this but on 7.2 and now 7.3 of this rom this game Polarbit called Raging Thunder 2 just goes to a black screen for about 20 seconds and then pops up an error message where I can report it or exit out.

Games I've tried from other developers and also other games from this developer work fine.

Another thing is that I've setup my corporate exchange email account on this phone and even though the Push is set for sending and receiving emails I don't get notifications that there is new emails until I open up the email app to read them. I didn't have this issue when I was on a rooted stock rom that I noticed.

Anyone else having these issues?

update: My corporate email is syncing properly now. I wonder if the 7.3 update fixed it but I could swear it wasn't working right after I flashed the update. Maybe a reboot after everything settled helped?

Last edited:

catapilla

Apr 21, 2010
Medford, OR
Can you add the circle battery mod for this version.

Flash the KOB4LT Theme.......? Works well if you MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD UCLD2 VERSION!

Here

Screenshot:
Screenshot_2012-04-25-09-12-38.png

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
Flash the KOB4LT Theme.......? Works well if you MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD UCLD2 VERSION!

Here

Screenshot:
Screenshot_2012-04-25-09-12-38.png

Thanks for the screen shot post, I am liking how that theme is. Have you had any major or minor issues so far?

This ROM looks excellent, but was trying to find the circle or honey comb battery mod, seems like that theme has it, I really like how that screen looks. Hope official source come out sometime so we can get some BLN rocking :)

Last edited:

mcchico

Dec 1, 2006
My Earlier Post

Wanted to give an update to my earlier post on Page-9
Actions Taken:
- Reflashed 7.2
- Formatted SDCARD

Everything seems to be working now good and fast except two thing explained below.
However, I have not reloaded all my media back on my SDCARD which is about 16 Gb.
Once I reload all my media back into SDCARD I will provide another update.

The two things not working:
1) The folders size in home screen. Still when creating a folder in home screen it is not sized properly when you open the folder, for the screen size of the skyrocket. Also the margin where icons are placed is too large on left. It seems as if this was configured for a larger screen (maybe Note?)
2) The icons (shortcuts) get stuck in between the pages. I have not have this happen to me yet -- Maybe this is fixed but I have been very careful now when moving icon shortcuts with my pulse not to release ahead of time - so maybe it has been -- although it seems that the potential is still there.

I am not planning for now to update to 7.3 since the fixed do not impact me.

Thank you for a nice ROM -- I REALLY like your ROM.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

OK
Have my SDCARD loaded now with all data and media.
Also foreclose Social HUB (x2) as indicated by scott14719 on Page-9

ROM looking GOOD! and FAST!
Just the two exceptions listed above -- If there is just a fix for these that I can manually do or flash via CWM for the above this will be nice.

Thank you for a nice and very well debugged ROM!

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
Wanted to give an update to my earlier post on Page-9
Actions Taken:
- Reflashed 7.2
- Formatted SDCARD

Everything seems to be working now good and fast except two thing explained below.
However, I have not reloaded all my media back on my SDCARD which is about 16 Gb.
Once I reload all my media back into SDCARD I will provide another update.

The two things not working:
1) The folders size in home screen. Still when creating a folder in home screen it is not sized properly when you open the folder, for the screen size of the skyrocket. Also the margin where icons are placed is too large on left. It seems as if this was configured for a larger screen (maybe Note?)
2) The icons (shortcuts) get stuck in between the pages. I have not have this happen to me yet -- Maybe this is fixed but I have been very careful now when moving icon shortcuts with my pulse not to release ahead of time - so maybe it has been -- although it seems that the potential is still there.

I am not planning for now to update to 7.3 since the fixed do not impact me.

Thank you for a nice ROM -- I REALLY like your ROM.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

OK
Have my SDCARD loaded now with all data and media.
Also foreclose Social HUB (x2) as indicated by scott14719 on Page-9

ROM looking GOOD! and FAST!
Just the two exceptions listed above -- If there is just a fix for these that I can manually do or flash via CWM for the above this will be nice.

Thank you for a nice and very well debugged ROM!

Thanks for the description of the folder issue. I hadn't been able to reproduce it until now. The icon placement was a known issue.

But both had the same fix. Try out Alien ICS 7.4. The update should be fine. The only difference between it and full release is updated system apps which can be had from the market.

I also added a 4x4 version of the app drawer. Rename the file to remove "4x4" and push it to /system/app if you want a 4x4 app drawer.

Last edited:

catapilla

Apr 21, 2010
Medford, OR
Thanks for the screen shot post, I am liking how that theme is. Have you had any major or minor issues so far?

This ROM looks excellent, but was trying to find the circle or honey comb battery mod, seems like that theme has it, I really like how that screen looks. Hope official source come out sometime so we can get some BLN rocking :)

I love romracer roms. This is where it's at for following an awesome dev. You wouldn't be disappointed if you gave it a go! I have not experienced any force closes or things not working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Last edited:

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
Does this ROM include a radio/modem. If so, which one is it and where can I download it? If not, ... er, same questions. LOL I want to revert to the radio I had before I went messing with other T989 radios and screwed it up.

dixit

Apr 26, 2006
ATL
Does this ROM include a radio/modem. If so, which one is it and where can I download it? If not, ... er, same questions. LOL I want to revert to the radio I had before I went messing with other T989 radios and screwed it up.

The first post clearly states this. You must have missed this

Alien ICS #7.4 (full wipe - follow instructions below)
MD5 af1b7ea8ab0161eea6bfbd0f7021bc0f

0) Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM first!
1) Update to ICS radio if you haven't yet (Use my CWM zip here)
2) Wipe data/factory reset
3) Wipe cache
4) Install from SD card
5) Reboot. First boot will take a while, be patient.
6) Setup AT&T Ready2Go or skip it, your choice.

Item #1 said the modem is in a different flashable ZIP. So no it doesnt include the modem. If you want it, click that link and it will be the UCLD2 one.

Dixit

Reactions: Razor1973

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
The first post clearly states this. You must have missed this

Item #1 said the modem is in a different flashable ZIP. So no it doesnt include the modem. If you want it, click that link and it will be the UCLD2 one.

Dixit
I did miss it, sorry. But I don't want UCLD2, actually. I'm on T-Mobile, so I'm trying several of the T989 ICS radios out there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] Alien ICS ★ Build #8 ★ The train won't stop going -- No way to slow down ★ 5/18

15i82.png
    yEYxd.png
    Alien ICS provides a concocted stew of TouchWiz, and ICS for your Galaxy S II Skyrocket. Samsung's TouchWiz functionality stays intact, but Alien ICS brings a blast of speed to the experience. There are very few theme changes with this ROM.
    Official Beta Tester signature:
    HTML:
    [CENTER][URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1376482"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bfP86.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
    3CUBm.png
    Code:
    - Based on AT&T UCLE2 4.0.4
    - Various memory and speed tweaks
    - Zipaligned
    - Deodexed
    - Rooted
    - Busybox installed
    - 5 icon dock enabled (4 + the app menu)
    - 5 column app drawer
    - Scrolling wallpaper!
    - CRT off animation
    - No carrier label
    - No address book sync
    - Customizable 15 toggle quick panel added
    - Build.prop optimizations for speed, power savings
    - Init.d scripts for compatible kernels (loopy smoothness, memkiller, zipalign on boot)
    - Stock-ish kernel with custom ramdisk (disables ro.secure)
    - Boot animation support!
    - Recovery, Download added to Power Options
    - Tethering enabled / entitlement check gone
    - SIP over WiFi and 3G
    - Updated applications
    - Some GApps moved to /data for more flexible management
    - Latest Superuser application and binary
    - Bloatware removed
    - Removal of HSPA+ upload limits
    - Additional Samsung applications made removable
    - Mms.apk mods: increased MMS text threshold, increased recipient limit, increased size limit
    - Email.apk/Exchange.apk mod: removed security policy restrictions
    - Removed “full battery” notification, vibration, sound, and screen wake.
    - Enabled "Stay awake" option
    - Added Internet call settings
    - Transparent lock-screen default, changeable in Settings > Display > Lock screen wallpaper
    - Additional Live Wallpapers
    - Movie Editor
    - sysro/sysrw added
    - sqlite3 binary added
    - bash and other miscellaneous binaries for the power user
    - more coming soon!
    oSAbh.png
    Alien ICS #8 (full wipe - follow instructions below)
    MD5 1930b67322b3849a1d46ca4d8ec69bd6​

0.5) If possible, use the OneClick at least once. Some things can't reliably be accomplished in an updater-script.
    1) Flash my ICS radio if you haven't yet. Seriously, do it. (Use my CWM zip here)
    2) Wipe data/factory reset
    3) Wipe cache
    4) Install from SD card
    5) Format /cache from "mounts and storage"
    6) Reboot. First boot will take a while, be patient (5+ minutes).
    7) AT&T Ready2Go is busted this release.

1) Apply update via CWM.
    2) Reboot.

See the changelog in post #3 for important information.

DON'T KANG MY WORK! (yes, I'm looking at you).
    8L4aY.png

kennethpenn
    Original GB author - BriefMobile
    DesignGears
    Original ICS leak
    legendk95
    15 toggle mod
    4MbRg.png

• It's not working when I install! I'm receiving force closes, sitting at bootloops, etc.
      Make sure you're installing the ROM correctly. Remember that kernels, MODs, radios, and carriers can mess with your phone's performance and workability.
    • I'm not on AT&T and this ROM is completely broken!
      This ROM is not necessarily designed for international compatibility. Please wait for future updates or attempt an install with a proper international kernel. I hear it works fine on Rogers, but you'll need to add your APN. Google for directions on how to do that.
    • Why is my device running/booting slowly?
      Your first boot will take an unimaginably long time. After that, your device will continue to run slowly until the application cache is built up. Don't worry, the speed will increase as you use the ROM!
    • Why is my battery life bad?
      Your battery life is often killed when flashing ROMs in CWM. For the best battery life, you must drain your device’s battery until it turns off. Plug the device into the AC adapter and let it charge until the image says 100% charged. Then turn it on and use the volume buttons to boot into CWM. Click Wipe Battery Stats under the advanced menu. Then you should charge to 100% and install the ROM. Battery life should be comparable to (if not better than) every other ROM.
    • Where's my bloatware?
      Alien ICS deletes unnecessary bloatware that can be replaced by better applications in the Android Market. If you'd like the bloatware back, you can download the CWM bloatware installer from here.
    • Why isn't there a battery mod?
      You can cook your own battery mod using the UOT kitchen.
    Changelog:

Alien ICS #8
    • Based on UCLE2.
    • CRT off works now (thanks Samsung).
    • Ready2Go moved to bloat - its broken this release anyway.
    • Probably other stuff I don't remember.
    Alien ICS #7.4
    • Updated Google Maps (full release only).
    • Fixed home screen folder size when opened.
    • Fixed icon placement between home screens.
    Alien ICS #7.3
    • Updated Google+ (full release only).
    • Removed AT&T Address Book Sync.
    • Removed broken Yellow Pages contact.
    Alien ICS #7.2 re-release
    • AOSP lockscreen addon available.
    • Hide IME toggle in status bar.
    • build.prop tweaks.
    • Fix Media Hub.
    Alien ICS #7.1
    • Adding scrolling wallpaper both to TW Launcher and third-party ones.
    • Fixed a small bug with enforcing copying libs (would only have affected AT&T's navigation).
    Alien ICS #7
    • Initial Alien ICS release.
    Known issues:

• The home button has a slight delay. This is common in ICS (check SGS2 for example).
    • Turning off Wi-Fi tethering will cause the Settings app to be unresponsive for a minute or so. This appears to be an issue with the Tether provisioning and does not cause any actual problem. Seems fixed in UCLE2.
    • Changing the Wi-Fi sleep policy increases battery drain. This is common across many phones and ROMs.
    • The volume slider in Settings -> Sounds does not stick. Use the rocker instead. This is a ULCD2 issue. Seems fixed in UCLE2.
    • Data may be flaky for some. It works fine for me, but buyer beware. This appears to be a UCLD2 modem issue. Another modem may help. Use my modem and this won't be a problem.
    • Email syncing may be flaky. This is an Android 4.0.3 problem. Hopefully fixed since this is AOSP 4.0.4.
    • Anything else that has been common with ICS from Odin (I really haven't noticed hardly anything to be honest).
    • Some people have noticed weirdness when coming from GB related to the Home/Search keys. This appears to be related to updating from GB only (perhaps files on the SD card). Flashing the ROM a few times and booting into it between each flash seems to clear this up. Alternately, try backing up your internal SD card to your PC and then formatting it.
    Miscellaneous:

• If you want to enable "Preferred install location" in Settings -> Applications, run the following through an ADB shell and reboot:
      Code:
      sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db 'update system set value="1" where name="set_install_location";'
    Gxi6v.png
    Coming soon (its TouchWiz, what do you expect?)​
    OP updated for Alien ICS #8 - based on UCLE2.
    Hey RomRacer---Any updates planned soon? Please save us from some of these other devs that require users to format 12 times, while facing east, jumping on one leg, and chanting to the ROM gods to get their stuff to work...

I don't plan to add the SGS3 stuff, so currently I'm waiting for the ICS release (or another leak). I do plan to look at the Hercules source to see if I can use their kernel to fix the touchkey bug, but that's really the only issue I've seen with this leak.

This Rom's had me really satisfied, everything is running smoothly, but today I saw this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27014974&postcount=1

it has an app that verifies if the kernel is unsafe because of this:
    https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/YPDxnye6rEw

Does anyone know what to expect? what to do? Should we go back to gingerbread?

I haven't seen that app, but the post you linked refers to the only real solution from Samsung themselves, "We plan to fix it via official releases in the future." Personally, I haven't see any problems.

I'm still using this ROM and it still is working great. As mentioned before, data / signal loss is an issue that shows just every once in a while. For me, it only happens when I'm going from WiFi to tower or tower to WiFi. If I toggle the "data" botton it starts to work again quickly. But, like I said, it only happens maybe once out of 20 times or so (for me). I think it is clearly a bug of the UCLE2 leak in general.

More interesting though, is the Kernel that mohan_kr released here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1701189

I have not tested it, but he claims the source code used in this kernel has fixed the "touchkey" issue. I think he based it off of the Korean version of the phone but I wonder how difficult it would be to identify the working code in that kernel and transfer it to this one (with his permission of course). I am hoping AT&T will drop the OTA soon with these slight issues fixed so we can just flash the OTA Alien ICS build.

I will look at the Hercules source soon.