For Z1 Compact owners: any regrets?

Search This thread

aakash43

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
Man, you should really unplug the potato from your phone to make better pictures.
I put SlimKit on my phone and the new Kernel 108 from Doomlord and it's like a new phone.
As for display, imho this display is grade A+ and on par with AMOLED from Samsung.

Lack of Loudness ?
Dayumn... if I let the phone with tones at max, Whatsapp scares me to death when someone writes.

Are you sure you own an Z1 Compact??

Now i'm not sure that u have z1 compact there is a separate thread for z1 compact IEM's every user their confessed there Z1 has low sound in IEM.
Plz Plz don't misunderstood me i'm not talking about speakers i'm talking about in ear ear phones.
Display is awesome i know but camera not that good.
Between which ear phone do u use.
One more weird issue that a person wrote on any other thread that touch not respond or stops after sometime while swiping text through keyboard, first i thought the glitch may be with keyboard but when i downloaded temple run 2, i just wanna say that it is hardware problem.
My sony xperia neo v's touch work far better in this game. A single light touch can do the work but that not the case with z1 compact.
Don't know why all of u neglecting all these problems.
Waiting for Xiaomi piston 2 in India then i can confirm the real loudness issues with it. But if there is no loudness issue in this phone then why is there dozens of loudness mods in themes and app section.

eEnzo0

Nov 1, 2011
Lübeck
@aakash43
Headphones I am using are Sony Mdr-ex15lpb black in-ear.
Great bass response and great noise insulation.

Sent from Xperia Z1 Compact KitSlim_AMG [Evo 9] using Tapatalk.

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
Ya crappy camera. Went to a concert. I couldn't get clear pics or videos. But gal next to me took really good ones with HUAWEI honor 3c. Best part it has 8mpx Sony bsi...
Mine Morethan 500usd. Hers around 250USD: face palm:

Last edited:

eEnzo0

Nov 1, 2011
Lübeck
Something is wrong. It should easily make even 4k videos. Mine does this without a problem.
I know the phone isn't that great in poor light conditions but still... A Huawei to beat it, pfff

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410086596887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410086596887.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: Lasantha

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
Something is wrong. It should easily make even 4k videos. Mine does this without a problem.
I know the phone isn't that great in poor light conditions but still... A Huawei to beat it, pfff

My goodness something is def wrong with my phone.My antutu hovers around 29000:confused: but huwawei cam is really good.mine was out of focus all the time.

Do you mind sharing how you got that antutu score?how about batt life?

Last edited:

aakash43

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
Ya crappy camera. Went to a concert. I couldn't get clear pics or videos. But gal next to me took really good ones with HUAWEI honor 3c. Best part it has 8mpx Sony bsi...
Mine Morethan 500usd. Hers around 250USD: face palm:
You are right brother my friends samsung grand takes great pics, even my friends started making fun of me they say keep your 20MP **** in ur bag, we r happy with 8MP. Now i feel shame in taking out this ****ty camera phone out of my pocket.............

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
You are right brother my friends samsung grand takes great pics, even my friends started making fun of me they say keep your 20MP **** in ur bag, we r happy with 8MP. Now i feel shame in taking out this ****ty camera phone out of my pocket.............

For a second i thought my Z1c is faulty.Same here.I felt really ashamed after frnds strted to nag me about my high end sony..:(

aakash43

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
My goodness something is def wrong with my phone.My antutu hovers around 29000:confused: but huwawei cam is really good.mine was out of focus all the time.

Do you mind sharing how you got that antutu score?how about batt life?

How many apps are running in back ground my z1 compact reaches 33+ easily but i'd tested it just after unboxing not after installing apps.

aakash43

Jul 3, 2012
New Delhi
a bit :) but all are greenified..i will try factory reset and see

And one more thing which class memory card do you have.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

@aakash43
Headphones I am using are Sony Mdr-ex15lpb black in-ear.
Great bass response and great noise insulation.

Mine is sound magic ES 18 but they lack loudness, bass is very good punchier, sound quality is OK but totally not happy with loudness.

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
And one more thing which class memory card do you have.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Mine is sound magic ES 18 but they lack loudness, bass is very good punchier, sound quality is OK but totally not happy with loudness.

sandisk mobilr ultra 64 gb class 10 uhs1

Davith

Apr 11, 2010
I've had this phone since it came out and I'm still loving it.

Those are my previous phones : HTC Hero, Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Nexus 4, Note 3. The Z1C is my favorite.

Low light camera shots are disappointing and the back panel is **** but I've stuck a carbon like sticker which gives a great feel in hand.

Good phone all in all.

sarskild

Jan 13, 2010
My biggest problem, which I had to find out the hard way, is the incredibly scratch prone front and back of the phone.
Front is the ASF which can be removed but the crappy back cover is a real shame!

With normal use I somehow got a huge scratch on the back.
Never used screen protectors with any of my previous phones and never really had to until I met the Z1c

Overall great phone and performance but that build quality is a bummer for such a supposedly high-end phone.

Reactions: vriz27

vriz27

Jan 2, 2011
glyfada , Hellas
My biggest problem, which I had to find out the hard way, is the incredibly scratch prone front and back of the phone.
Front is the ASF which can be removed but the crappy back cover is a real shame!

With normal use I somehow got a huge scratch on the back.
Never used screen protectors with any of my previous phones and never really had to until I met the Z1c

Overall great phone and performance but that build quality is a bummer for such a supposedly high-end phone.
+1000. Exactly the same happened to me. Overall a great phone but with the easiest -to-scratch back...

eEnzo0

Nov 1, 2011
Lübeck
Wich supposed to be universal according to manual iirc but was only sold in Japan.

Sichroteph

Mar 15, 2009
Just replaced the back with a glass one, the operation was easy and now I don't care about scratches anymore

c9h9m9

Sep 12, 2014
The camera

My biggest regret is the camera. Coming from Xperia S, I can say that the S took way better photos. The Z1 Compact are just more grainy when you zoom to 100%, the S pictures are just smoother (and the resolution is the same - 8 Mp in Z1 Compact default superior auto and 9 Mp in Xperia S default mode)

I tried all modes, superior auto, manual - but I still like more the pictures from Xperia S.

In rest - great phone, nice to hold in hand, bullet quick - just the camera is disappointing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would not recommend buying a Z1c at the moment, not until it is seen if Sony bother to fix issues in the phone software. Unless you are happy to unlock + root, then go ahead.
    The stock Sony software has so many quirks at the moment its driving me nuts!

• calls answer to speaker phone sometimes
    • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app
    • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain
    • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo
    • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode
    • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing
    • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers
    • proximity sensor issue: 1-2 second delay in screen switching back on if it was switched off by proximity sensor. i.e when you make/receive a call, you have to wait to hang-up the call. minor inconvenience really.

And as already mentioned, the plastic ASF on front and back glass is very, very delicate. Leave the phone wrapped in cotton wool until you have protectors on front and back!

oh, and buy a dock or magnetic charging cable too, otherwise the USB flap comes loose (mine has after 3 weeks)
    • calls answer to speaker phone sometimes <-- This is an issue with chrome browser not Xperia Z1 Compact.
    • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app <-- Well the equalizer was polished for walkman. This is the same even on my HTC One except for beats audio at least.
    • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain <-- It's not broken it's on by default unlike other devices which is off by default and just customized by network operators or depending on variant. Fast dormancy would really kill your battery if it's on and your network provider doesn't support it as it will keep on enforcing fast dormancy even if it's not available.
    • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo <-- Ok for a smartphone camera though... It's meant for average users for average results. Hence why manual mode is added. If superior auto was the best of everything then what would be the use of manual mode then.
    • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode <-- Well stamina mode is stamina mode. It's doing its job. I would have been disappointed if it can't control system apps though... Android is all about customization. Would defeat the purpose if we can't control system apps here. If you want it to work with stamina mode then add it on the whitelist.
    • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing <-- Never encountered this yet.
    • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers <-- Like? Been using Opera and firefox here since I disabled chrome because of the first issue you mentioned.
    • ???
    Where I come from there's a saying "every Gipsy praises his horse".
    Having that in mind, I'm asking you, Xperia Z1 Compact owners, to reply here honestly, if you have any regrets and remorses for buying this phone.

It's a serious money for me, and I plan to have my next phone for at least next two years (I've had Motorola Atrix for three years), so please, serious answers only.
    I have regrets buying it at launch lol! In my country right now the phone had dropped it's price for like almost 1/4 already. Could have saved some money if only I had waited a week or so.
    Honestly for the Specs and Size. Its a "YES" for me. I had HTC One X for 2 years but the thing I don't like is the Battery life. Was thinking about Nexus 5 or Moto X which has very similar specs but i go for the "size", "battery" and IP57.

Z1C last me average 2.5 Days with 4 hrs screen time. (For normal usage)

Regrets on Z1C was only the screen had ASF (Thin layer of film to prevent glass shutter) which easily get scratch. (Solution - Get a good screen protector, prefer a Glass with 9H)

Liking - Battery, Water Resistant, Power, SD Card Slot, Camera and a slick design.

Not talking about the software side but I read that Sony quite reliable on updating their software + Firmware. Currently on 4.3 and likely to get 4.4 kitkat (Hopefully the battery will get better then).

Hope this helps!