HowTo: Wake car mounted Nexus 7 from sleep without power button (2002 Mustang)

Search This thread

Walz83

Apr 27, 2012
Nice work. I always prefer having a hardware solution over software. I will be doing this when i get my setup in.

02sonicblue

Jun 8, 2014
Just to update this scenario, while it's not good to just leave a tablet laying in a hot car. I have not had any problems with mine as of now 4/24/2016. I did do a couple of other things to help with cooling.
1# i drilled 2 rectangles vertically about 1 inch wide each, but not to get into the Velcro that holds the tablet.
2# i drilled 2 half inch holds in the duct work that goes to the center 2 vents. (This allows some of the air to fill the area behind the wood that the tablet is mounted on.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have looked high and low for a way to turn on my Nexus7 without using the power button while it is in sleep mode.
    The reason is because i am putting my tablet in my 2002 Mustang GT to replace the stock radio. Once installed , the power, and volume buttons are no longer accessible. I have bought an AMP and use the remote volume knob to adjust the volume. Next my issue was getting the tablet to wake from sleep.
    After some serious thinking, i have found a way.
    This does not require flashing,hacking, taking the tablet apart to rewire ANYTHING.
    What i am going to do is connect the charging cord to a secondary cigarette lighter, then plug in a USB adapter.
    On the power side of the secondary cigarette lighter connect a toggle switch. (The secondary cigarette lighter will be hidden behind the tablet)
    Mount the cool looking toggle switch somewhere in the car where it is easily accessible.
    When you want to wake the table, and or charge it, turn on the toggle switch. (This SHOULD work with any tablet)
    You may want to download an app to put the tablet to sleep for when getting out of your car.

If anyone else tries this please let me know how it worked out for you.
    I still have to cut out a small piece of the dash to allow room for the charging cable. That will be done tomorrow, along with a better video. I just wanted to show my progress.
    Copy and paste link.
    youtu.be/1psLH24ZsiE
    Here is another video i made during the day, and after it was all mounted.
    Copy & Paste.
    youtu.be/P89paX9fcYw
    Thanks for the videos. Looks like quite the fun project. You did some great work there.
    Just remember that baking a tablet in a car all of the time _will_ destroy the battery, and rather fast. Maybe that's fine. Just warning you.

As for turning the device off. If you have bluetooth in the car or something, you could use Tasker to watch for the BT device. When it goes away, start a timer, maybe 30 minutes or something, then shut down. That way quick runs into the store or it's not powered off/rebooting etc. There are many posts on this exact same subject in this exact sub-forum... Nexus 7 seems to be popular for cooking in vehicles for some reason.

But yes, the "unplug it from the power" solution is always the solution. Using a "pretty" switch is one way to do it. Some cars have lighter ports which are only powered when the car is powered, but I know mine are hot all of the time and a lot of cars these days are.