Stock Video Player: HW or SW decoding?

Search This thread

Zakanam

Sep 7, 2012
Hey guys, I don't know much about the stock video player on Samsung TabPro but I was wondering if the stock video player uses HW or SW decoding when playing videos? I mean, in MX player, you have the option but in the stock Samsung you don't get the option.

I have a SM-T325 (8.4 LTE) and I was wondering if the stock player drains more battery than MX Player or what? And what does the H/W+ option really do in MX player? Does the MX player play movies smoother?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
The stock player won't play a lot of formats, so I don't even consider it a feasible option. MX has been my go-to video player for Android for some time now. It works so well, plays anything I throw at it, and has some nice options. So why bother using anything else?

Can't say I've compared the two, but don't think there would be much difference in battery life. I get close to 10 hours playing video on MX anyway. Not often I would even need that kind of playtime, except for long airplane flights.

Reactions: Zakanam

Zakanam

Sep 7, 2012
The stock player won't play a lot of formats, so I don't even consider it a feasible option. MX has been my go-to video player for Android for some time now. It works so well, plays anything I throw at it, and has some nice options. So why bother using anything else?

Can't say I've compared the two, but don't think there would be much difference in battery life. I get close to 10 hours playing video on MX anyway. Not often I would even need that kind of playtime, except for long airplane flights.

Thanks for replying :) really appreciate it, but sorry haven't replied nor have I seen the thread for a while, I would have thought to get an email when someone replies...

Yeah, since the time I made this thread till now, MX player is just better in every way. I tested battery life and it seems like they're both the same but what I dislike about MX player is that when viewing on a tablet, there's so much space to be used that isn't being used e.g when viewing the list of movies, on the right side of the screen is a big white space. But I guess I'll take that up with the developer of the player.

Thanks again :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.