[KERNEL] M-Kernel [MOVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Dr_Nacho

Aug 15, 2012
How do I check what version of bootloader I'm on? Is this your custom recovery?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Milamber33

Dec 22, 2011
Sydney
How do I check what version of bootloader I'm on? Is this your custom recovery?

No, bootloader is the thing that loads either Android or your recovery. Power the device off, then hold both volume down and power at the same time to switch it on. The screen that comes up should have the bootloader version listed.

Reactions: Dr_Nacho

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
i just flash this kernel on PA...what min and max cpu frequency do u guys recommend? i'm using 102mhz min and 1.3ghz max atm...but 102min seems a bit slow and laggy...so what values do u guys recommend?

Is it laggy at 304? But it's not the kernel its something else about your configuration.

I run 102 and 1500 and 520 GPU on the 666 kernel. No voltage tweaks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: ace-user

ace-user

Feb 23, 2012
Is it laggy at 304? But it's not the kernel its something else about your configuration.

I run 102 and 1500 and 520 GPU on the 666 kernel. No voltage tweaks.

u OC the GPU to 520 and CPU to 1500? will it affect battery life? :confused:

Last edited:

Dr_Nacho

Aug 15, 2012
No, bootloader is the thing that loads either Android or your recovery. Power the device off, then hold both volume down and power at the same time to switch it on. The screen that comes up should have the bootloader version listed.

So I took or steps and found that my bootloader is 3.3.4. How would I update this to meet the requirements for this kernel?

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Probably 555. For multitasking you want the extra cores to come online so it can handle all tasks simultaneously, and the 666 version would wait for higher load before activating them.

Yep multitasking would be the one time 555 would be better. I still prefer 666 personally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
i just flash this kernel on PA...what min and max cpu frequency do u guys recommend? i'm using 102mhz min and 1.3ghz max atm...but 102min seems a bit slow and laggy...so what values do u guys recommend?

Min has nothing to do with lag considering touchboost. Either adjust ondemand parameters or fix your setup so 666Mhz is enough for home screen and scrolling.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
So I took or steps and found that my bootloader is 3.3.4. How would I update this to meet the requirements for this kernel?

There are lots of ways to do that. Find the 4.1.3 recovery install zip here on XDA... Fastboot flash recovery image.. And I'm sure others. Fastboot is safer but more difficult. Up to you.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen a couple of kernel devs saying, with most LCD screens it's not really possible (unless you're talking about some kind of overlay to change the actual image sent to the display), but the Nexus 7 display does have some kind of options available, not sure how much it can be tweaked but some stuff was found in the Google kernel commits or something for adjusting the display. I believe Morfic and Franco are both looking into it now and seeing what they can do.

They're not. They are both busy with other things, simpler tweaks, and other devices like the nexus 4. Gotta make a kernel to sell their app. (And i own all of them :D)

I tried messing with the nvidia drivers and gamma, had little to no effects. I believe Morfic tried something similar. For the most part, devices with gamma correction like the GS3, Gnex, N4, the gamma parameters or values were already present in the display drivers.

Color control doesn't come out of thin air. Interfaces are built around values and controls already present. We just let you change those values.

The nexus 7 doesn't have any of these. Making the chance of color control slim to none. Either someone would have to find gamma correction where everyone else had missed it... Or something would have to be built from scratch.

Sorry. Other kernel devs say maybe... Buy I'm not as optimistic.

Last edited:

ace-user

Feb 23, 2012
My setup involves a cracked and non-functioning screen. You can try that, but i wouldn't recommend it.

lol...i oc the gpu to 520mhz...will it have a big decrease in battery life?
and how do i set the LP value? is it fixed and cant be changed?
i'm new to kernel stuff and sorry if i caused any troubles..
btw...hope u get ur tablet fix soon :)

Sent from both my sexy galaxy nexus and nexus 7 X)

christianlr25

Aug 12, 2011
Westchester, CA
Switched ROM from ParanoidAndroid to CM 10.1 nightly and I'm still having trouble with auto brightness after flashing your kernel. I've brought it up before, about a week ago. I've been reading around and looks like its a 4.2.1 bug? Its weird though cause this only occurs when I'm using your kernel. :what: idk what to do anymore. Its kinda frustrating. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

adstraylight

May 17, 2010
Switched ROM from ParanoidAndroid to CM 10.1 nightly and I'm still having trouble with auto brightness after flashing your kernel. I've brought it up before, about a week ago. I've been reading around and looks like its a 4.2.1 bug? Its weird though cause this only occurs when I'm using your kernel. :what: idk what to do anymore. Its kinda frustrating. :eek:

You could try LUX Auto Brightness, it is far more controllable than the stock adjustment, and working perfectly well with CM10.1/M-kernel

Reactions: fossean

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010

I don't know what trouble with auto brightness means.

Kearkan

Oct 10, 2012
It's 'grammar', not 'grammer'. ;) :p

Catching up on the tread... Now waiting for jay aristides name to pop up.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

You could try LUX Auto Brightness, it is far more controllable than the stock adjustment, and working perfectly well with CM10.1/M-kernel

I had a look at lux, does it have much effect on battery life?

Stuphologist

Jan 15, 2008
Germantown, MD
My setup involves a cracked and non-functioning screen. You can try that, but i wouldn't recommend it.

A friend of mine dropped her GNex quite a while ago and, to her and my surprise, it still worked. I thought sure the touch functionality would be dead or randomized, but it worked fine. I gather that your N7 is deader than that, though. Have you tried disassembling and reassembling it? Could be a connector, and a defunct screen can't get more defunct.

Dave

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
A friend of mine dropped her GNex quite a while ago and, to her and my surprise, it still worked. I thought sure the touch functionality would be dead or randomized, but it worked fine. I gather that your N7 is deader than that, though. Have you tried disassembling and reassembling it? Could be a connector, and a defunct screen can't get more defunct.

Dave

The glass is glued to the touch sensor and display. If you crack the screen you lose touch input. It's not a bad crack, I'm sure the case helped. I get sporadic touch functiobality in the bottom half, but yeah for all intents and purposes it is done for. And a new glass/display/touch sensor is almost as much as a new device anyway. (Have to admit...Nvidia's kai program is impressive)

And i have taken it apart. Very easy to do. Broke it down into individual pieces and put it together. Just because I can :). That's just who I am. I like to know how things work and break them down. Im sure a few of you like that. Once you get over the fear of screwing up, it:s quite a fun and interesting endeavor. Part of the reason I want to be a doctor and maybe a surgeon.

On a boat right now... About to lose signal... All day fishing trip... Hopefully catch some food with my bro and dad... So I'm going to have to count on you guys to answer eachother's questions :) See you guys at midnight (eastern)!

adstraylight

May 17, 2010
Lux has never even shown up on my battery stats, and I think that any drain from the background service is more than offset by the fact that it dims the screen to suit your environment. I've been using it since its initial release and frankly couldn't live without it now.

It works best on the N7 when set to adjust 'ascendingly' btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would you guys feel about me closing this thread and starting a new one in Android Original Development? It technically belongs there anyway, and I wouldn't mind reserving a couple more posts in the beginning for a FAQ and other stuff. Hopefully to stop any more "Why is my min stuck at 340MHz?!?" and others like it :)
    Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
    • optimized compiler flags
    • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
    • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
    • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
    • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
    • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
    • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
    • Runnable threads hot plugging
    • FSync control (Ezekeel)
    • Glibc memcpy and memmove
    • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
    • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    • LP core overclock to 666MHz
    • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
    • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
    • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    • Faster LP -> G transitioning
    • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    • Tweaked CFS parameters
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • Block: recursive merge requests
    • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
    • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
    • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
    • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
    • allow use of a controller native max block size
    • optimized crypto algorythms
    • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    • Better hot plugging delays
    • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
    • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
    • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
    • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
    • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
    • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
    • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
    • Input: Send one packet at a time
    • support for ROM built-in OTG support
    • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
    • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
    • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
    • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
    • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
    Now, on to my status with this -
    As a quick fix, I will revert this patch for the next build. This should hopefully solve all issues with a33 including, but not limited to, SODs, reboots, and increased battery drain in LP1 (too little voltage, but not little enough to cause freezes/reboots, has been shown to actually cause increased battery drain as compensation).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to whip up a quick fix for a couple reasons.

For one, I have other responsibilities. I had a Physics midterm early today and had to spend time reviewing and studying. Also, my father purchased a new HDTV (very nice one, super jealous) and I had to help him go pick it up and transport it, unpack it, remove the old, gigantic, heavy as f---, rear projection DLP HDTV, set up/secure/mount the new one, situate all the cables with the FIOS box/DVD/AV receiver/Surround sound, reprogram the universal remote, set up the new smart tv capabilities with the internet and their internet video services, update the TV software, set up the 3d and 3d glasses, and teach them all how to use the new stuff.

Second, my computer broke. The graphics card started acting up, kept getting messages about it failing and successfully restarting until it no longer would successfully restart. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and the whole kitchen sink, but the card was dead and there was no way around it. Aren't laptops with their all-fused components wonderful :rolleyes:? To be honest four years is a decent run for a cheap 4-yo HP. Anyway, I need a computer for school so I got a new one as an early birthday present.

So I have a new computer now. First of all it's a macbook so I'm going to have to learn how to use OSX for one thing and get everything set up, and I'm going to have to re-make my kernel build environment from scratch which will take some time.

So hang tight please!