[APP][Android 2.3+] Simplest Reminder

Would you get upset if I introduced ads in my free app?

• No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A little, but I would keep the app

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, and I would uninstall the app

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Can you upload apk as XDADEV attachement?
You know, years ago, before google took it all, it was in good tone to post software that way HERE.

I can do that for the free version but I don't feel comfortable distributing my paid app that way. If you are a developer you understand how hard it is to write those apps... And from what I see these days developers rarely post APK to their paid apps here. Even more, their free apps posted here have ads in them. My free app does not have any ads!

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
IDK if this will help but basically if your structure is the same as i mentioned here than
you could do something like this.

IF time to fired reminder THEN
SET fire reminder
IF repeating THEN
SET time to (current time + repeating time (1 day, 2 weeks whatever you have to do the calculation here))
ELSE
SET time to null (so you don't fire them next time)

Cheers. :)

Hey thanks for your help, but I have already figured this all out on my own. Those new features are now part of Simplest Reminder Pro. PS. Your logic is good. I used somewhat similar approach although it was more complicated due to the snooze button, edit button etc. There are just many different scenarios. But I got it all under control now :good:

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
I can do that for the free version but I don't feel comfortable distributing my paid app that way. If you are a developer you understand how hard it is to write those apps... And from what I see these days developers rarely post APK to their paid apps here. Even more, their free apps posted here have ads in them. My free app does not have any ads!

Hey, it's obvious i'm talking about free version. :)
I'd like to try it, 'cause it seems to be interesting app.
Unfortunately can not not use google way.

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Free version has been updated to 1.8. It includes:
- refreshed looks inspired by Pro version
- cleaner looking List of Reminders
- help screen
- info icon removed and replaced with help icon
- button to get the Pro version (this button is not part of 2 main screens so that it doesn't clutter the screen)

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
New restarter app on portal. Simple and small.
Should solve the killed reminder problem!

EDIT: Not really the solution. Simply brings up the UI again.

The app probably needs a "save and restart" button to exit the program but leave its background task running. If one simply backs out, probably kills app in doing do.

Last edited:

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
New restarter app on portal. Simple and small.
Should solve the killed reminder problem!

EDIT: Not really the solution. Simply brings up the UI again.

The app probably needs a "save and restart" button to exit the program but leave its background task running. If one simply backs out, probably kills app in doing do.

No, this is not the case. You can press back button as many times as you want in Simplest Reminder. The GUI will be closed but the reminders will not be affected and will become active at regularly scheduled time. I am utilizing Android's AlarmManager class to set reminders so they are independent from GUI.
The only situation when reminder may not work is if your task killer application completely kills Simple Reminder or does something that is equivalent to force closing my application. This kills the GUI and all the background processes for the app rendering reminders useless.

This is rare scenario and it only affects people who use Task Killers. If you use task killer just add Simplest Reminder (and any other app that needs to run in the background) to the white list.

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
No, this is not the case. You can press back button as many times as you want in Simplest Reminder. The GUI will be closed but the reminders will not be affected and will become active at regularly scheduled time. I am utilizing Android's AlarmManager class to set reminders so they are independent from GUI.
The only situation when reminder may not work is if your task killer application completely kills Simple Reminder or does something that is equivalent to force closing my application. This kills the GUI and all the background processes for the app rendering reminders useless.

This is rare scenario and it only affects people who use Task Killers. If you use task killer just add Simplest Reminder (and any other app that needs to run in the background) to the white list.

OK. I have gotten rid of the task killer. The keep-runing app keeps bringing up the Simplest Reminder UI so I assumed it had been otherwise killed. I have also uninstalled that.

I will test the app with and without using backspace to "exit." See what happens.

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
I added poll asking about in app advertisement. Can you please vote? I would appreciate your honesty.
PS. Poll is located at the top of every page in this thread.

cooina

Feb 8, 2014
Awesome reminder, is there any other way to buy a pro version, becouse i cant buy it via play store(not available in my country)

tomcatoggo

Mar 13, 2008
Germany
Hi guys,

I have a small problem: the reminders switch on the screen of my phone when going off... resulting in funny actions performed by my leg (that the phone touches through the cloth of my pants pocket :) Could you integrate an option to avoid this? Or do you have any idea how I could avoid it?

Simplest reminder pro on Xperia Z3 Compact

Last edited:

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Hi guys,

I have a small problem: the reminders switch on the screen of my phone when going off... resulting in funny actions performed by my leg (that the phone touches through the cloth of my pants pocket :) Could you integrate an option to avoid this? Or do you have any idea how I could avoid it?

Simplest reminder pro on Xperia Z3 Compact

Hey, the option to turn off the screen is coming back in the next update. The update got delayed few days because I was sick and could not work on the app.
I apologize for the delay.

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
FYI, I just pushed another update for Pro version which introduces Pop Ups. They can be enabled in Settings. Free version has also been improved. Some minor bugs have been fixed in both versions.
Both versions now allow to pick more sounds for notification and screen can stay turned off when reminder is activated.

Reactions: tomcatoggo

tomcatoggo

Mar 13, 2008
Germany
FYI, I just pushed another update for Pro version which introduces Pop Ups. They can be enabled in Settings. Free version has also been improved. Some minor bugs have been fixed in both versions.
Both versions now allow to pick more sounds for notification and screen can stay turned off when reminder is activated.

It works! Thanks a lot!

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Pro version 2.6.2 is now live.
I added new, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app.

ngewO8N0-v80lnTP2l6V3NLyYcx83FS2u0wvGhppKZEBy5rly8T0eP-doA9cA0jUWhXk=h310-rw
UY4m1JiMNQ2LVXvyDz5DHrCNhpbUMM2da1oGe1PsxaP62-Y5ygwCHxEl2Vigk5NECXuv=h310-rw

Droff

Dec 7, 2010
Great App!

Just a suggestion...
In notifications those cut off words don't look very nice. If it is too difficult to fit everything there, maybe for more polished look it would be better to get rid of icons (or labels) completely or shorten them [SN...] -> [Zzz] [DE...] -> [DEL]
I personally would love to see just labels [SNOOZE], [DELETE], [EDIT] without icons. I think it would look a lot cleaner.

For Pro version, maybe add Snooze time to the button: [SNOOZE: 15m], if icon and label can be moved to the left.

Baerbeisser

Sep 1, 2015
Great App

One suggestion, if this app still gets maintained.
Could you implement a call for an file-picker, in case there is no mediaservice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I forget things quite easily so I have been using my phone for years to help me remember about certain tasks I need to do. I tried few applications but did not fall in love with any. They are often too complex and require too many steps to create a reminder / note.
    Therefore I decided to make my own. I learned the basics of Android development and spent 2 months developing "Simplest Reminder". I was working on and off and only during my free time which was just a few hours a day at most.

Without further delay I present my first android application :laugh:

It is available for free, with NO ads, in the Play Store:

Here are the screenshots:

z8WY2G44E4wISZRiT-lamwIYmJEMypUP2YSeJtCPWcDCEC3KBx42JtYD9fjRxKmJTmLg=h310-rw
    Ul78YyMjPKleH-5TpJOflfHNomMO6Zjxv8IJ_aCyu10xr7Gd-4k4sqWW8xI7lqjIVA=h310-rw
    YqjQS-A5evSrpLNzLR0AjJI8p6QwlDhN_U1dyTMGBbnY0xWhbxWP9lkkV-o-ptwVxd3d=h310-rw

y5PCzOX-H_3d9gba2bl__DZ7cQT9Kp7piOBwEQB-ZDNr2HQtRLLf8ykWVG_HTxTqZVw=h310-rw
    yLY4tRih1KuOfTBUoue3PvoHoRFGiCFYXcL8vC5uCTCgYHdnJVV3hkPurl9tJFPDsQ=h310-rw
    9wMXzs8vbWUi0aiBVhFoHMQpxg3kNvWdyEtRuWIthoR4Lx3hOmTPrhzYEVcSWNcGAjCP=h310-rw

If you notice any issues please let me know instead of leaving 1 star review. I will get back to you and solve the issue ASAP.
    If you can think of any improvements don't hesitate to post them here.

Again, app is available for free without any ads here
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gadgetjudge.simplestreminder

UPDATE, May 22: I now have a donation version of my application in store. It is located here: Simplest Reminder (Donate)
    If you like my application please consider buying the "donate version". Both apps have the same features so buying my app ($ 0.99) is just a way of saying Thank You for my hard work.

UPDATE, October 16 2013: Donate version has just became PRO version with new, exciting features based on user feedback. Simplicity has not been compromised but functionality has been greatly improved.
    It is available at the same URL: Simplest Reminder Pro so that anybody who donated to me gets free upgrade. Thanks to the bunch of you who supported me with nice words and especially those who bought my app! I hope you all enjoy the new features

Here is a list of new features in the Pro version:
    - Recurring reminders. Choose between daily, weekly, monthly, or annually
    - Pop Up dialog. This can be disabled in Settings
    - New, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app
    - Self-repeating reminders. Reminder will repeat itself every 10 minutes so you don't miss it. This can be disabled or interval can be changed in Settings
    - LED light notifications. This can also be disabled in Settings
    - Swipe notification away to delete reminder. This can also be disabled in Settings
    - Swipe notification away to dismiss recurring reminder
    - Help screen
    - Improved user interface and performance

Pro screenshots:
    tURJnFMev8ssGJ1QRn35qI0b5zpgOmbBgJtkCjQkE9ylaYt_LzrdaDT2jDUXwwgsdA=h310-rw
    9PIF1tnOB-1qXm8g9K28F-kt9pkgPGbbYjVmchhPg14Qn51yMyGV_0kv3D8CBxsH3zg=h310-rw
    HU0bdMcUncwDPWSSAusjEDjuszOlhqk6M4_XGuCUUBgIEuKlp5hDMEl2o8V8ZohoUhjr=h310-rw

ngewO8N0-v80lnTP2l6V3NLyYcx83FS2u0wvGhppKZEBy5rly8T0eP-doA9cA0jUWhXk=h310-rw
    UY4m1JiMNQ2LVXvyDz5DHrCNhpbUMM2da1oGe1PsxaP62-Y5ygwCHxEl2Vigk5NECXuv=h310-rw
    PlPX8VXR8eU4IvkLSsPpEHoXXtNn8Q4FAw9jozCjU4MncMl7p0uaWiD8gyssFizWDO4=h310-rw

UPDATE, October 17: APK for free version uploaded as per user request. This is for people who can't use Google Play for any reason.

UPDATE, October 18: Version 1.8 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I refreshed the looks to be as nice as the look in the Pro version. I updated the screenshots in this thread.

UPDATE, Nov 12 2014: Version 2.1.1 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I fixed bunched of things and added minor improvements such as ability to choose more sounds.
    Pro version now has Pop Up dialog option.

UPDATE, Dec 2 2014: Version 2.6.2 of the Simplest Reminder Pro has been released. I added new, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app. They make picking date and time much easier and they look great too! I attached new screenshots.

Thanks for your interest!
    Thanks for sharing your work!

A nice feature would be, if we can decide Yes/no Notification Sound per reminder.

So one is with notification sound as set up in settings, one without because of not beeing so important.

While this is a nice feature, I don't think I will be implementing anything that would add complexity or increase number of taps required to create a reminder. The main goal of my application is being the simplest to use out of all reminder applications in the market.

There are many great applications in the market that have all that complexity and extra features including colors, note priority, sound per reminder, vibration per reminder, repeatable reminders etc. The reason why I don't use those apps is because setting up a reminder takes a minute or so.

I realize that limiting the number of features in my app may turn some users away but at the same time I am confident that it will be appealing to users who expect mobile apps to be simple and intuitive to use.

With all that being said, I really appreciate your feedback and please keep it coming. I may actually build another application based on Simplest Reminder that would have whole bunch of additional features.
    Today I pushed 2 updates to the market.
    Version 1.4 is meant to put an end to the mysterious bug causing reminders not to go off (I am 100% confident I nailed it this time and it turns out it was not even a bug but rather a missing feature, lol - simply put, the alarms were not set after phone reboot [Android OS removes all alarms on phone reboot])
    Version 1.5 introduces new option in the settings panel - now you can decide if screen should be turned on when reminder goes off.
    I spent few hours recently trying to find a very frustrating bug in my application that was causing reminders not to go off under certain circumstances.
    I found a potential issue, fixed it and pushed updated version 1.2 to the Google Play yesterday.

I really hope that it will permanently fix it! However, if for any reason a reminder doesn't go off for you it would be very helpful if you could provide some details here or PM me (version 1.2 and up only).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just pushed version 1.3 to the market because there still was a bug. Third time a charm... Hope it is gone for good!
    I love this app! :cyclops: