[Q] Dual-booted TF101 optimised for work.

Search This thread

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
Greetings,

I have looked at information on the internet (including this forum) with regards to loading different a different OS onto the TF101. There is a lot of information on how to do it, but very little explaining how satisfactory the result is.

Here is my situation:

I have ordered a refurbished TF101 + Dock for under $400 delivered. This is covered by a 12-Month warranty.

My plan was to use this device primarily as a work-oriented device. I am studying law and am required to take excessive notes, apply for clerkships, and write fully referenced (NB: footnoted) essays.

I only have 2gb per month of mobile data which means I spend a lot of time at various educational institutions. I also work mobile pretty often (train ride into city, etc). Essentially I'll be using this primarily as a netbook with an awesome battery life

While the TF101 seems like an perfect device for someone with my lifestyle, the lack of any android app which allows for footnoting is unforgivable. The decision to dual-boot ubuntu is a logical solution.

Onto my questions:

1. Is there any issue setting up dualboot on a TF101 from a bootable USB drive on a windows based OS?

2. How does ubuntu run on the TF101 in terms of productivity? I have read about what functions are supported; but I'm wondering how it all works in practice. It doesn't seem like anyone has turned their TF101 into an ultrabook with a killer battery life and tablet functionality.

3. I have read that bricking is always reversible. Is this the case? I don't plan on deviating from instructions from xda. I understand that there is always a risk, I just want to know my chances.

4. Does it matter whether HC or ICS is loaded on this tablet when it arrives? Are there any steps I should take to update the OS before dual-booting

5. Are there any drawbacks to clocking to 1.4Ghz? Does this affect battery life and if so, to what extent?

6. Is there a lite version of ubuntu I could dual-boot on my TF101 to improve performance/work efficiency? If so, how would this change the instructions listed: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/How_to_install_Ubuntu_on_an_Asus_EEEPad_Transformer#Installing_Ubuntu. Would installing a lite version be necessary? Could the TF101 handle full office applications running a full version of ubuntu without increasing the clock speed? I'm just trying to get a sense of how sharp the TF101 feels running programs on ubuntu.

7. Are there any other things I should consider to optimise my TF101 to perform at the level I indicated?

Thanks for bearing with me. If it seems like I've bought the wrong device, I just find it amazing that I could have a low-spec ultrabook and a tablet with a battery life better than both for under $400. I figure I can boot android for tablet use (calendar, browsing, reading) and ubuntu when I need to get some serious office-type work done :)

Thanks again for reading.

Last edited:

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Let me try to address these one at a time to help you out with your purchase, also glad to see you pick the TF :D It's a wonderful tablet.
"This is covered by a 12-Month warranty." - If you install Ubuntu, root or otherwise, it will almost Surely void this warranty, so be careful as it is refurbished, inspect carefully and make sure it isn't a lemon (bad tablet).

"the lack of any android app which allows for footnoting is unforgivable" - Quickoffice seems to support this, although it is $20 -- link.

1. A bootable USB stick setup on windows WILL NOT work on the tf, you must use the Android Debug Bridge to install it on the tf. Instructions in link below.

2. It works, but not like desktop ubuntu, as the ARM processor doesn't support 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit applications. So WINE WILL NOT work, AT ALL.
Read what will and will not work here.

3. This is heavily dependant on the version of your tablet, older (b60 or lower) devices have sbkv1 and therefore support NVFlash, which means you can always (unless you.. microwaved your tablet or something..) restore a brick. If you have a newer (most b70s and all b80s and up) sbkv2 tablet like mine, it will not work. If you follow instructions carefully when messing with your device though it's pretty hard to COMPLETELY brick it, although all user data can be at risk.
NOTE! If you have a tablet with sbkv2 you Can Not install Ubuntu on it with the installer. I won't say At All, as there is probably a way, but it would be very hard.

4. You would probably want to update to ICS first, Asus provides this update through ota updates pushed to the transformer or off of their website. It is a smoother experience. Or you could root and flash a custom ROM, (even smoother! :p) Also see #5

5. If you want to overclock to 1.4 Ghz you Must Root and flash a custom rom and Kernel (important) that supports overclocking, and may not be able to use ubuntu at the same time as it seems to overwrite the recovery slot (correct me if I'm wrong someone). It does affect battery life by a noticeable amount, (roughly 20% would be my guess) and you really shouldn't need to OC if you're just word processing though. The tf is a pretty fast tablet xD I overclock mine to 1.2 for general use and gaming.

6. Searched, and not that I could find, sorry :/

7. Yes, flash a custom Rom and Kernel, there are many to choose from! :D The ones I use work great and are in my signature. ARHD Rom and TastyMehIcs kernel. It's all up too you though.

In conclusion I think you would be better off using android as the Ubuntu is pretty limited, quickoffice should be fine. Go ahead and optimize it though, and if you have a sbkv1 tablet you can try it out!
ToD

Edit: You could also look into remote desktop to computer to word process, but that would lock you to your 3g wifi speed and be non-native. -shrugs- Splashtop HD is pretty fast on a home n+ wifi network.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcd234

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
Thanks!

Thanks for your response - it changes everything!

"the lack of any android app which allows for footnoting is unforgivable" - Quickoffice seems to support this, although it is $20 -- link.
I actually spent quite a while looking around for android apps with full office functionality. Like quickoffice, I found that numerous apps supported viewing footnotes, but none which actually allowed for their creation.

The only solution I've found for footnote creation via android is google docs desktop view, but it's really barely functional at best on android.

I'd also like to use freeware when possible.

1. A bootable USB stick setup on windows WILL NOT work on the tf, you must use the Android Debug Bridge to install it on the tf. Instructions in link below.

Ok, I've never actually installed linux on my computer, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)

2. It works, but not like desktop ubuntu, as the ARM processor doesn't support 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit applications. So WINE WILL NOT work, AT ALL.
I don't think this will be a problem. For what I'll use the tablet for, it seems like I'll have plenty of office, video, and utility applications that run natively on ubuntu.

3. This is heavily dependant on the version of your tablet, older (b60 or lower) devices have sbkv1 and therefore support NVFlash, which means you can always (unless you.. microwaved your tablet or something..) restore a brick. If you have a newer (most b70s and all b80s and up) sbkv2 tablet like mine, it will not work. If you follow instructions carefully when messing with your device though it's pretty hard to COMPLETELY brick it, although all user data can be at risk.
NOTE! If you have a tablet with sbkv2 you Can Not install Ubuntu on it with the installer. I won't say At All, as there is probably a way, but it would be very hard.
This is a problem; I've determined the item in the mail is an sbkv2.

This link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1345049 says I can still root the sbkv2. Are there any implications that would prevent me from dual-booting ubuntu?

Otherwise, you've convinced me that clocking would be unnecessary. I really would like to dual-boot ubuntu eventually however for the flexibility (and freeware-ness) of the applications.

For instance, I might download a video clip or pdf, need to unzip it and then find it needs a weird codec to play.

I'm not really a fan of "apps" on mobile devices. I find that they are generally very limiting: they use too much processing power for what they are, they often have an unreasonable price-tag/bloatware, and they are designed for small mobile devices, so the interface lacks functionality.

For example; none of the android office apps support footnote creation. Only some support viewing. Clearly the hardware of the TF101 would allow it to footnote easily, so I feel like I should have the ability to use this hardware to achieve the functionality of a netbook

That said, I'm keen to use the whole android/mobile app interface when I've separated the tablet from the dock and recline to watch youtube or check my emails :)

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Alright, I'll look into it more as to getting Ubuntu on a sbkv2, as I'd want to do it too, but for now, assume no as I've looked into it before and no cigar.. I believe there is a chroot method but that is slow buggy non-native etc so it's probably not what you're looking for. Using desktop view in Dolphin Browser HD is actually about the same as pc browsing, just tested on google docs. Or you could always type out your docs on the tablet then get on a pc/desktop view and add footnotes later. (roundabout, I know x.x)
Rooting the sbkv2 and romming is easy, but sadly Nvflash doesn't work at all till ASUS unlocks the bootloader or someone cracks it.

"I'm not really a fan of "apps" on mobile devices. I find that they are generally very limiting: they use too much processing power for what they are, they often have an unreasonable price-tag/bloatware, and they are designed for small mobile devices, so the interface lacks functionality. "
The way android works helps to manage processing power very well, so you shouldn't be worried about a smooth experience if you root rom and optimize. As for the design most major apps have an HD version specifically for tablets, and many are free (if you can get past ads or use a blocker :p) Any other questions/concerns?

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
Any other questions/concerns?

At this point I'm only really trying to figure out whether there is a way to dual-boot ubuntu. I have more reading to do, but my current reading suggests that it's possible - just not sure how accessible the process is to someone like me.

Law here allows us to return an unopened product within 7 days of purchase, so I will have to weigh up whether I can reasonably expect a way to run ubuntu in the future, and whether I should just have fun with android in the meantime.

I'll be happy to keep it if I thought there'd be a way to run ubuntu (or asus releases the key) sometime in the next couple of months. Otherwise I've just spent $400 on something that my current (old, heavy, 1hr battery) laptop does better.

EDIT: Remote desktop isn't a possibility due to my lack of internet.
2ND EDIT: I've made a bit of a mistake: the model no is TF101-1B180A, but as far as I know it is skbv1 (fingers crossed) which means I can use the PRIME installer. I guess I shall find out tomorrow morning!

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
What you really need to find out is the serial number - If it's B60 or lower it is sbkv1, if it's B70 it could be either (mine is a b70 but is sbkv2, my friends is a sbkv1, we both got it in best buy on the same day :p) The ubuntu help and installer thread in the dev forum can help you if you have sbkv1, I can help walk you through everything if you'd like too. Asus is 'planning' to release the bootloader, which will happen eventually as people continue to pester them, and there is a way I'm sure.

Nairbly

May 11, 2011
Just an F.Y.I it is possible to install Ubuntu on an SBK2 device followinf the instructions in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1537566

As for the speed of it, it is not great(I did the mount-loop install on the internal storage which is at least faster than installing on an sdcard). I havn't tried overclocking yet to see if that helpls. Also a number of things do not work at all/ need some tweaking to work.

Reactions: Thing O Doom

irrelevancy

Nov 14, 2009
how about tethering from wifi from your phone and using something like splashtop?

I have a TF101G so the internet issue is a bit less troublesome.

Nairbly

May 11, 2011
It is layed out pretty well in the third post. I used the Dual-boot with loopmounted image option and just followed the instructions in that post. Just make sure you have rooted and installed cwm recovery.

Also I am not sure if the android kernels linked in the post are ics or hc ones, but if you upgrade to ics there are a couple kernels available in the dev section.

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Theres an app called ubuntu installer, it isn't native but may work about the same, also testing now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
EDIT: deleted because it sounds negative. Basically I'll need to try to return/sell this if I can't get ubuntu working because android cannot do what I need it to.

Last edited:

Nairbly

May 11, 2011
As I pointed out previously it doesn't matter if you have an sbkv2 device as far as installing Ubuntu is concerned.

Just follow the instructions here after rooting the device.

It is not perfect though, there are a few bugs and as far as I know no one has got hardware graphical acceleration working yet so you can't watch videos. I think sound isn't working yet either.

Also don't expect the same programs you would find in windows or even linux normally as many programs have yet to be ported to arm based linux.

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
As I pointed out previously it doesn't matter if you have an sbkv2 device as far as installing Ubuntu is concerned.

It is not perfect though, there are a few bugs and as far as I know no one has got hardware graphical acceleration working yet so you can't watch videos. I think sound isn't working yet either.

Also don't expect the same programs you would find in windows or even linux normally as many programs have yet to be ported to arm based linux.

Thanks for the instructions.

I NEED this device to be able to perform full word procesing as a minimum. I also want to be able to have multiple windows open so I can actually see what I'm writing, and I would like to be able to see what I'm typing as I type it instead of a second later. I need to be able to use keyboard shortcuts and select text easily. Lastly, I need to be able to streamline the OS so it can run quickly.

If a TF101 with ubuntu dual-booted is unable to accomplih this, somebody please tell me now.

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012
umfortunately I have:
Chip UIP: 0x42890884140b097
SBkv2

Now looking up instuctions to root SBKv2

bcd234

Apr 15, 2012

Nairby,

You didn't mention how to root an SKBv2. Would you use the Universal root toolkit 7.1 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185104 ?

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
If it's on HC, root with the razorclaw tool by downgrading the firmware then flash an ics rom. Very easy and no computer required.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me try to address these one at a time to help you out with your purchase, also glad to see you pick the TF :D It's a wonderful tablet.
    "This is covered by a 12-Month warranty." - If you install Ubuntu, root or otherwise, it will almost Surely void this warranty, so be careful as it is refurbished, inspect carefully and make sure it isn't a lemon (bad tablet).

4. You would probably want to update to ICS first, Asus provides this update through ota updates pushed to the transformer or off of their website. It is a smoother experience. Or you could root and flash a custom ROM, (even smoother! :p) Also see #5

5. If you want to overclock to 1.4 Ghz you Must Root and flash a custom rom and Kernel (important) that supports overclocking, and may not be able to use ubuntu at the same time as it seems to overwrite the recovery slot (correct me if I'm wrong someone). It does affect battery life by a noticeable amount, (roughly 20% would be my guess) and you really shouldn't need to OC if you're just word processing though. The tf is a pretty fast tablet xD I overclock mine to 1.2 for general use and gaming.

6. Searched, and not that I could find, sorry :/

7. Yes, flash a custom Rom and Kernel, there are many to choose from! :D The ones I use work great and are in my signature. ARHD Rom and TastyMehIcs kernel. It's all up too you though.

In conclusion I think you would be better off using android as the Ubuntu is pretty limited, quickoffice should be fine. Go ahead and optimize it though, and if you have a sbkv1 tablet you can try it out!
    ToD

Edit: You could also look into remote desktop to computer to word process, but that would lock you to your 3g wifi speed and be non-native. -shrugs- Splashtop HD is pretty fast on a home n+ wifi network.
    Alright, I'll look into it more as to getting Ubuntu on a sbkv2, as I'd want to do it too, but for now, assume no as I've looked into it before and no cigar.. I believe there is a chroot method but that is slow buggy non-native etc so it's probably not what you're looking for. Using desktop view in Dolphin Browser HD is actually about the same as pc browsing, just tested on google docs. Or you could always type out your docs on the tablet then get on a pc/desktop view and add footnotes later. (roundabout, I know x.x)
    Rooting the sbkv2 and romming is easy, but sadly Nvflash doesn't work at all till ASUS unlocks the bootloader or someone cracks it.

"I'm not really a fan of "apps" on mobile devices. I find that they are generally very limiting: they use too much processing power for what they are, they often have an unreasonable price-tag/bloatware, and they are designed for small mobile devices, so the interface lacks functionality. "
    The way android works helps to manage processing power very well, so you shouldn't be worried about a smooth experience if you root rom and optimize. As for the design most major apps have an HD version specifically for tablets, and many are free (if you can get past ads or use a blocker :p) Any other questions/concerns?
    Just an F.Y.I it is possible to install Ubuntu on an SBK2 device followinf the instructions in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1537566

As for the speed of it, it is not great(I did the mount-loop install on the internal storage which is at least faster than installing on an sdcard). I havn't tried overclocking yet to see if that helpls. Also a number of things do not work at all/ need some tweaking to work.

Nairby,

You didn't mention how to root an SKBv2. Would you use the Universal root toolkit 7.1 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185104 ?

I can't remember who made it but I used the attached script to root my device.

Apparently I should read the zip name. This method worked with ics.

Found the original post with the script here.