[Q] Is this a known issue? Hotspot slower when talking on phone

Search This thread

phairway

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain View
Notice when I am talking on the phone while running wifi hotspot, speeds are very slow. Is there a fix? I am using wifi hotspot and not usb tether.

droid512

Jan 20, 2011
Austin
Well I know that LTE doesn't work while on call so i would assume its just going down to h+

Sent from my SGH-I727

Nucleartx

Jan 2, 2010
Temple, TX
Known att issue, they throttle your speeds when on a phone call. Test it out on hspa+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

phairway

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain View
I'm not sure its even going down to Hspa+ because its just way to slow, nothing loads. I tried speedtest.net and was getting like edge speeds probably even worse.

M0D1441

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
ATX
I remember talking on the phone once and checking the data network type in about phone and it said UMTS (first 3G tech, about 365kbps max). i guess AT&T uses HSPA for voice and UMTS for data while on a call? idk.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using morse code

phairway

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain View
I remember talking on the phone once and checking the data network type in about phone and it said UMTS (first 3G tech, about 365kbps max). i guess AT&T uses HSPA for voice and UMTS for data while on a call? idk.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using morse code

Yea you are right, I just checked in About Phone and it goes back and forth between HSDPA and UTMS. That sucks. Would love to browse while talking on the phone. Pages are loading way too slow.

rccar

Feb 20, 2012
AT&T throttles your phone and also bring it down to UMTS to save battery while in call, if you haven't noticed, it sucks tremendous amounts of battery to talk on the phone and keeping the phone at it's max speeds will just eat the battery dry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

dvandam

Aug 11, 2010
That would explain why recently I was on a call and I tried to look up something and nothing was coming up on my browser. That's BS. Remember all those old AT&T ads claiming, "Only on OUR network can you talk and browse the web on your iPhone?" I'm tired of being nickle and dimed by these damn guys..

promiseofcake

Dec 8, 2011
San Francisco
That would explain why recently I was on a call and I tried to look up something and nothing was coming up on my browser. That's BS. Remember all those old AT&T ads claiming, "Only on OUR network can you talk and browse the web on your iPhone?" I'm tired of being nickle and dimed by these damn guys..

Well it is true, only on AT&T can you talk and browse at the same time on an iPhone. They aren't saying you can browse very well, just that you can. I came from a 9700 Blackberry so UMTS was my day to day and I know the headache.