[Recovery] ClockworkMod 3.2.0.0 (R4c) Modded for Internal media [UPDATED 10/6]

Search This thread

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
GR0Ke.png

ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Motorola Xoom

OK, so this recovery will skip /data/media (Internal storage) when performing nandroid backups and also when you perform a factory reset.

This means that we can now perform nandroid backups without backing up our internal media and removing it everytime you want to do a backup.

Thanks to Bigrushdog and MadIndustries for helping out with the concept of the solution for skipping /data/media.
Also thanks to Koush and all the other developers that have contributed to clockworkmod, without you guys the android world would be completely different.
Thanks also to everyone in #xoom that tested this.

The source code for all changes etc are available through the github repository. The two other projects that have been modified to make this recovery possible can also be viewed through my github account.

Even though this recovery has been tested, I am not liable for any loss of data or any damages done by this recovery.

==============================================
General Notes

When I refer to /data/media, this is the same as /sdcard when the xoom is booted into honeycomb. So any data that is stored in here should be untouched by this recovery.

If you encounter a problem with the filesystem on /data like it has become corrupt, place a blank file called "eraseData" (without the quotes) in the clockworkmod folder on your external sdcard. This will revert to the old way of formatting /data. NOTE: by doing this you will lose everything that you have in /data/media.

Versioning of recovery images:
At the moment I don't have a version number as such, instead each recovery image is timestamped in the format of DDMMYY-HHYY. So the file recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img was produced on 12 May 2011 at 8:30 PM. This versioning is also shown in recovery when it starts.

Downloads

SLOW DOWN AND RELAX
Make sure you download the correct version depending on how you want to flash. I have seen at least two xooms bricked now because they have tried to flash the zip file through fastboot.

Recovery Zip (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH CWM
MD5: 1ad409db4030635734b27df02b7e7c1a

Recovery Image (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH FASTBOOT
MD5: 20575d4b62bf697f77abca9093877ea3

Installation Instructions

Method 1 Flashing through CWM
Download the recovery zip file

Place the recovery zip on the sdcard where clockworkmod can read it.

Reboot into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" or any other method

In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard and select the recovery zip you downloaded

Sit back and relax while recovery flashes the new recovery and reboots into it.
Method 2 Without CWM
Download the recovery image (not the zip file)

Pull up your command prompt, then

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
fastboot reboot

Let your Xoom boot up. Then to check out your shiny new recovery,

Code:
adb reboot recovery
Also, you can grab Rom Manager or QuickBoot from the market for easy access to recovery.

Changelog
Code:
  [url=http://bit.ly/k7cZxJ]3.2.0.0 (R4c-100611-1150)[/url]
- Rebuilt recovery, the previous recovery was built off of bad device files.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4b-060611-1300-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4b-060611-1300)[/URL]
- Disabled partitioning the sdcard as per request.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4-050611-1515-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4-050611-1515)[/URL]
- Included changes from koush's sources upto clockworkmod 3.2.0.0
- Implemented Advanced backup. This allows you to choose what partitions you want to backup.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.zip]3.0.2.8 (120511-2030)[/url]
- Fixed mounting the sdcard for some users

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-080511-1630.img] 3.0.2.8 (080511-1630)[/URL]:
- Modified to skip /data/media or /sdcard in nandroid backups.
- Modified formatting /data to remove directories and folders so we can keep media.
- Place a file called eraseData in the clockworkmod directory on your EXTERNAL sdcard to revert to the normal restoration method.

Last edited:

bigrushdog

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2007
You da man solarnz! Also, you can grab step 1 from my 3.1 thread. That zip will flash recovery from recovery! Mods, please unsticky my Recovery thread and lock and replace with this one. This is recovery we will support going forward.

Reactions: pipesdl

b0ricua

Jul 3, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great job folks!!!

We've gotten used to BRD's awesome formatting of his posts and super clear instructions, would be real nice if we can get this on the new sticky ;)

jland22

Aug 13, 2010
Boston
You da man solarnz! Also, you can grab step 1 from my 3.1 thread. That zip will flash recovery from recovery! Mods, please unsticky my Recovery thread and lock and replace with this one. This is recovery we will support going forward.

might be a stupid question but just to clarify: we would obviously not want to flash any recoveries in rom manager thus not having any need for rom manager at at this point correct?

solarnz

May 23, 2010
Sydney
might be a stupid question but just to clarify: we would obviously not want to flash any recoveries in rom manager thus not having any need for rom manager at at this point correct?

Rom manager is still nice as you can quickly reboot to recovery etc from it. It also allows you to select the operation to do in recovery and then restart it will automatically restart and perform the action.
If you flash recovery from Rom Manager, you will end up with the official 3.0.2.5 recovery from Koush that doesn't contain the method of skipping /data/media

lokko21

Jun 4, 2010
Chihuahua

What's the difference between this and the one on bigrushdog thread. (3.1)

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

MitchRapp

Aug 18, 2010
Montreal
very cool, but would it be complicated to just make an "exclude" menu before backing up? That way people can just exclude whatever they want ...

Dubar

Feb 27, 2011
Lakeland, FL
thanks to everyone who contributed. We dont always think about how great CWM is and all the wonderful things it does for us until we dont have it anymore :( I didnt like the feeling of walking around with that stock recovery

Prod1702

May 31, 2007
running into a problem. I have a wifi only xoom. I had the old 3.0.2.8 recovery installed which i still had after 3.1 update no problems with it at all. I just flashed the 3.0.2.8 one using fastboot but now when i reboot into recovery. All i see is the android with the exclamation mark i do not see clockwork. I have reflash more then once with no luck still.

Edit: wanted to add that if i flash the clockwork from Rom manger which i see is the version 3.0.2.5 i am able to do a adb reboot recovery into recovery with no problems.

Edit2: for some reason the zip flashing in the old recovery works fine and updated to the new recovery. no clue why fastboot is not working. I tried fastboot 5 times every flash said it finished fine but it boots with a android and a exclamation mark. only the zip flashing in recovery works for me.

Last edited:

ltracte

May 23, 2010
maybe this is a stupid question, but i dont even see a "media" folder on my xoom. there are folders for music and video. i have my own folder for movies, one for comics, ect. do i have to create a media directory and move everything into it in order to make sure that it doesnt get included? and if so, where does it go?

solarnz

May 23, 2010
Sydney
running into a problem. I have a wifi only xoom. I had the old 3.0.2.8 recovery installed which i still had after 3.1 update no problems with it at all. I just flashed the 3.0.2.8 one using fastboot but now when i reboot into recovery. All i see is the android with the exclamation mark i do not see clockwork. I have reflash more then once with no luck still.

Edit: wanted to add that if i flash the clockwork from Rom manger which i see is the version 3.0.2.5 i am able to do a adb reboot recovery into recovery with no problems.

Edit2: for some reason the zip flashing in the old recovery works fine and updated to the new recovery. no clue why fastboot is not working. I tried fastboot 5 times every flash said it finished fine but it boots with a android and a exclamation mark. only the zip flashing in recovery works for me.
Ok, I'm assuming you are on android 3.1 without a modified kernel.
The issue you are having is that with the default boot image, it flashes back the stock recovery every single time you reboot.

Code:
adb shell rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
(Thanks Berzerker7)
maybe this is a stupid question, but i dont even see a "media" folder on my xoom. there are folders for music and video. i have my own folder for movies, one for comics, ect. do i have to create a media directory and move everything into it in order to make sure that it doesnt get included? and if so, where does it go?

Ok. on our xooms, /sdcard is actually a symlink (think of a shortcut) to /data/media.
So when I say /data/media, you can think of /sdcard (the internal storage).

Last edited:
Reactions: ltracte and benso87

ankorez

Apr 22, 2010
E: can't mount /sdcard/update.zip
or error mounting /sdcard

anyone has encountered this problem plz?

thks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GR0Ke.png

ClockworkMod Recovery - Modified for Motorola Xoom

OK, so this recovery will skip /data/media (Internal storage) when performing nandroid backups and also when you perform a factory reset.

This means that we can now perform nandroid backups without backing up our internal media and removing it everytime you want to do a backup.

Thanks to Bigrushdog and MadIndustries for helping out with the concept of the solution for skipping /data/media.
    Also thanks to Koush and all the other developers that have contributed to clockworkmod, without you guys the android world would be completely different.
    Thanks also to everyone in #xoom that tested this.

The source code for all changes etc are available through the github repository. The two other projects that have been modified to make this recovery possible can also be viewed through my github account.

Even though this recovery has been tested, I am not liable for any loss of data or any damages done by this recovery.

General Notes

When I refer to /data/media, this is the same as /sdcard when the xoom is booted into honeycomb. So any data that is stored in here should be untouched by this recovery.

If you encounter a problem with the filesystem on /data like it has become corrupt, place a blank file called "eraseData" (without the quotes) in the clockworkmod folder on your external sdcard. This will revert to the old way of formatting /data. NOTE: by doing this you will lose everything that you have in /data/media.

Versioning of recovery images:
    At the moment I don't have a version number as such, instead each recovery image is timestamped in the format of DDMMYY-HHYY. So the file recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img was produced on 12 May 2011 at 8:30 PM. This versioning is also shown in recovery when it starts.

Downloads

SLOW DOWN AND RELAX
    Make sure you download the correct version depending on how you want to flash. I have seen at least two xooms bricked now because they have tried to flash the zip file through fastboot.

Recovery Zip (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH CWM
    MD5: 1ad409db4030635734b27df02b7e7c1a

Recovery Image (solarnz-R4c-100611-1150) FLASHED THROUGH FASTBOOT
    MD5: 20575d4b62bf697f77abca9093877ea3

Installation Instructions

Method 1 Flashing through CWM
    Download the recovery zip file

Place the recovery zip on the sdcard where clockworkmod can read it.

Reboot into recovery using "adb reboot recovery" or any other method

In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard and select the recovery zip you downloaded

Sit back and relax while recovery flashes the new recovery and reboots into it.
    Method 2 Without CWM
    Download the recovery image (not the zip file)

Pull up your command prompt, then

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
    fastboot reboot

Let your Xoom boot up. Then to check out your shiny new recovery,

Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    Also, you can grab Rom Manager or QuickBoot from the market for easy access to recovery.

Changelog
    Code:
      [url=http://bit.ly/k7cZxJ]3.2.0.0 (R4c-100611-1150)[/url]
    - Rebuilt recovery, the previous recovery was built off of bad device files.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4b-060611-1300-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4b-060611-1300)[/URL]
    - Disabled partitioning the sdcard as per request.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/XDA/Recovery/recovery-solarnz-R4-050611-1515-cwm.zip]3.2.0.0 (R4-050611-1515)[/URL]
    - Included changes from koush's sources upto clockworkmod 3.2.0.0
    - Implemented Advanced backup. This allows you to choose what partitions you want to backup.

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.zip]3.0.2.8 (120511-2030)[/url]
    - Fixed mounting the sdcard for some users

[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-080511-1630.img] 3.0.2.8 (080511-1630)[/URL]:
    - Modified to skip /data/media or /sdcard in nandroid backups.
    - Modified formatting /data to remove directories and folders so we can keep media.
    - Place a file called eraseData in the clockworkmod directory on your EXTERNAL sdcard to revert to the normal restoration method.
    Also try vol up + power.

Then as soon as the screen goes black, hold vol down + vol up at the same time for a cold boot.

This worked for me. Flash new recovery. Reboot and while the screen is black hold the power up and power down. Took me a couple of tries to get my fat fingers on the keys just right.

thanks to solarnz and BWcorvus for the help

Ok, I'm assuming you are on android 3.1 without a modified kernel.
    The issue you are having is that with the default boot image, it flashes back the stock recovery every single time you reboot.

Code:
    adb shell rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    adb shell rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    (Thanks Berzerker7)

Ok. on our xooms, /sdcard is actually a symlink (think of a shortcut) to /data/media.
    So when I say /data/media, you can think of /sdcard (the internal storage).
    so these commands do the same thing as if you would do a basic wipe data or even more than that ?

No, not the same. This is just a delete command and not the same as a wipe since it will erase everything in /sdcard and below that only.
    Still experiencing problems.

Flash http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13093938/recovery-solarnz-120511-2030.img through fastboot to the recovery partition. See if that helps.

If not, please come find us in #xoom on freenode.net.