[q] wifi "error"

Search This thread

MJT6981

May 7, 2011
No matter what ROM/Kernel I flash to i loose my WIFI access. When I go into settings/Wifi it just says ERROR. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

rhodiggah

Aug 11, 2010
South City
With CM7.0.3.1, I have been using bcblends tinyrcu (available through kernel manager) and leave min/max as is (806max/245min) make sure you wipe cache/dalvik before installing the kernel...
Hope this works for you.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

lilgrass71

Jul 5, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
When it does that is your SD card not mounted anymore and requires a reboot for it to see it again? That happens to me smetimes

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium App

gtkansan

Nov 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Same thing happens to me with kernels. Sometimes Wimax too. I'm using mik shift, works fine with stock kernel.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

lilgrass71

Jul 5, 2007
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Maybe its just my luck w cards... been running cm7 stables and had two 8 giggers die one me... one kingston class 4 and a sandisk class 6... its happening again on my last 8 gigger too!

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App

raid31

Mar 28, 2010
I too am getting an "Error" when trying to turn wifi, Logcat says " Wifi Driver missing" have tried rebooting, and flashing another rom. any help?

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Well it's probably been said before, but here goes When you flash a new Rom make sure you do a FULL wipe. It's seems trivial, but not doing this can and usually does cause all kinds off issues. Also, you should check your WiFi settings, and make sure they're correct.

raid31

Mar 28, 2010
Full wipe has been done and what wifi settings are you talking about? phone settings can't be accessed because the phone can't turn wifi "on". is it possible to extract the wifi driver from another shift? i have another one at my disposal. BTW wifi was working a day ago no problem. i havn't flashed a new ROM in months and was on a stock rooted rom.

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Have you tried to ruu back to stock to see if you have the same issue? Or nandroid back to a version where it worked?

raid31

Mar 28, 2010
yea ruu'd back to froyo, re-rooted and reinstalled updated radios, and am back to gb. any idea where the wifi drivers would be? thanks for the replies.

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Have you just tried it from a stock froyo rom? RUU back to 2.2 and just try it from there. It should reflash all the proper radios. Maybe the wifi chip is defective in the phone too. It happened at work to a co-workers playbook.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Have you just tried it from a stock froyo rom? RUU back to 2.2 and just try it from there. It should reflash all the proper radios. Maybe the wifi chip is defective in the phone.

+1 on that. Also if it was working then not. Something else might be up, are other devices able to connect to that WiFi spot with no issues? It is possible to extract the wifi driver from another SHift. But if you just RUU back to stock it should work. If not somethingelse is definately wrong. To get to the settings: Menu-Settings-Wireless & Networks-Wi-Fi settings-menu-Avanced.

raid31

Mar 28, 2010
yea went ruu'd back to stock, no dice. wifi just says "error" after "turning on", must be an internal problem. other devices work fine on this point. what would be the steps to extracting the driver from another shift, i have one ready to go.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
If you RUU'd back to stock, and it's a still no good. Then you might want to consider getting a replacement if WiFi is really important to you. Especially if you know for sure that other devices can connect, and you cannot on a stock Rom. But you do risk getting an updated Shift. Not a risk worth taking in my eyes. Did you make sure and check all the settings?

raid31

Mar 28, 2010
Yea all the settings are good, it definitely seems to be an internal problem at this point. I'm weighing the options right now and came close to ruu'ing to gb to see if it solved the problem, but I just couldn't give up root.

only 2 things come to mind on what caused this, i attempted to update to the newest ota htc update over the stock rom, ( i know stupid, got the android + !) and i installed an app to transfer files over wifi.

Wifi isn't too important but I hate the feeling of not having my phone %100.

shawayne21

May 29, 2010
New York, USA
Same problem here. I just got a wifi-error running the latest shift-deck. The phone was brand new with a bad esn (planning to flash to a different carrier) and was first turned on 8/2/11. so basically 2 weeks turned on. This just happened 2 days ago. Cleared everything and flashed again. Don't know how to RUU or what it is. Anyone want to explain?

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Ruu basically puts the phone back as if it were just out of the box. There is a thread somewhere here with the file. Just make sure you get the froyo version, otherwise you won't be able to root.

Reactions: shawayne21

Top Liked Posts