Z1C Screen Cracked by itself

Search This thread

constantine243

Jan 5, 2013
Bangalore
Hi guys this is bad time for me, i got a hairline crack in my touch screen, i don't know how, now half of the screens touch is not working,

What should i do, i am very sad as i buyied it by my this years saving, pls help:(

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Schlengge

Sep 11, 2012
Berlin
Well....
Send it in for repair?
This should be a warranty issue. No software issue so theres nothing we can do here ;)

constantine243

Jan 5, 2013
Bangalore
Anybody else had this here? As i searched for this and got many users reporting this hairline crack in the touch screen

Schlengge

Sep 11, 2012
Berlin
If you did not cause it by like smashing it against a wall on purpose they will not charge you.
Thats what a warranty is there for.
If you want to make sure, just ask in your shop / email your shop and ask them.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
I think some stocks got QC problem, especially some early stocks. This usually happen on all Sony flagship phones, so better not to buy any new model immediately.... lol

vampyre_masq

Jul 13, 2007
Perth
I actually work for a phone company in Australia and had someone come in with this issue. TBH physical damage is defined by a cracked screen and no matter how many times you say you didn't do it the outcome will be the same (if only you knew the stories ive heard). Unless Sony publicly admits fault then any repair centre will charge for physical damage. I advised my customer to speak to Sony directly to get a case open and to send the handset directly to Sony repair once they say they will fix it.

Reactions: marsx1984

Schlengge

Sep 11, 2012
Berlin
That sounds like complete bs from Sony right there. I hope everybody who experiences this will get a proper repair.

Good luck!

blackmesa47

May 27, 2014
Myslowice
I got the same issue in Poland with my Z1C !!!

official answer from sony service:
"Nazwa urządzenia:Sony D5503 /Z1 Compact/ Black
Powód wyceny: Mechaniczne uszkodzenie wyświetlacza, np na skutek zgniecenia, upadku itp. -nie podlega gwarancji!"

***TRANSLATED***
Product Name: Sony D5503 / Z1 Compact / Black
Reason for valuation: Mechanical damage of the display, for example, as a result of being crushed, falling etc. -not covered by the warranty!

D

Deleted member 3493119

Hello @constantine243,
I'm so sorry to hear that your phone got a cracked screen.

This issue have been seen on other Xperia devices too, such as Xperia Z1, Z and Z2. Usually these types of issues are caused by a construction fault, which causes a lot of pressure on the glass which can cause the screen to shatter.

This should however be covered by warranty, but you might have to argue a bit as there is a lot of customers who lie about cracked screens.

I hope this issue gets resolved, and have a good day,
GethPrime

marsx1984

Jul 10, 2011
Bucharest
It's not Sony's fault for a few cracked screens here and there.It's your own carelessness in 99.99% of the times if this were to happen to you.

New Folder

Feb 22, 2014
It's not Sony's fault for a few cracked screens here and there.It's your own carelessness in 99.99% of the times if this were to happen to you.

It's then user fault when Sony's thermal throttle is not working as it's supposed to causing internal temperature to raise too high?

As most materials expand on high temps especially battery, then it's no wonder they push the glass screen from inside resulting sudden crack.

The phone gets really hot in poor coverage areas and doesn't stop searching until it finds good signal. So this theory imo bases some truth.

It's better for Sony and worse for customer to put all cracked screens on USER FAULT.

Cause if they admit this problem, then they are forced to replace thousands of screens and they really can't tell if it was actually caused by accident or by phones overheating.

There is no solution for this problem because the design is flawed.

Bonus: Or just wear it in your back pocket.

Last edited:

marsx1984

Jul 10, 2011
Bucharest
First I would like to point out that I am only talking about the Z1 Compact and not the Z1 or Z2 or any other Sony phone.

If you really think that was the reason for a few cracked screens we would see a LOT more people reporting this , just like it was with the flash bleed . Now that was a big design flaw. An other design flaw is the water proofing : again on this front you see a lot o people complaining...

I have searched for people that reported this problem for the Z1 compact and I could only find 2 people (the OP of this thread and one in the comment section of this article )

P.S. @Iruwen : I fail to see what you added to this conversation

Iruwen

Dec 14, 2012
More than your baseless accusations against everybody (ok, against 99,99% of everybody). While there are of course people lying about what happened, this is not a typical issue of the Z1 Compact but of tempered glass in general which is under extreme internal pressure and may crack under rare occasions. And even if additional external pressure was applied, e.g. by sitting on it, it shouldn't crack.
I don't like your aggressive attitude. Sony doesn't need a White Knight here.

constantine243

Jan 5, 2013
Bangalore
Thankz for the response, i am collecting all comments on various forums about users problem, and will make a case file and then visit the sony service center hope they understand, the crack is not visible from the from but at tilting angles

marsx1984

Jul 10, 2011
Bucharest
At least we agree it's not a Z1 Compact problem...

"And even if additional external pressure was applied, e.g. by sitting on it, it shouldn't crack." -> no warranty would ever cover that crack if you tell the truth about how it happened. I think you really need to re-evaluate your expectations of mobile phones.

doctor_droid

Oct 29, 2012
Indore
Thankz for the response, i am collecting all comments on various forums about users problem, and will make a case file and then visit the sony service center hope they understand, the crack is not visible from the from but at tilting angles

I agree wid ur problem...
This is a problem which i have seen only in the z series...and only reason i didnt went for z1 instead of n5,... I hope u get repair under warranty for it.

Reactions: constantine243

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually work for a phone company in Australia and had someone come in with this issue. TBH physical damage is defined by a cracked screen and no matter how many times you say you didn't do it the outcome will be the same (if only you knew the stories ive heard). Unless Sony publicly admits fault then any repair centre will charge for physical damage. I advised my customer to speak to Sony directly to get a case open and to send the handset directly to Sony repair once they say they will fix it.
    That's not true and a very uneducated, inflammatory opinion.

I agree wid ur problem...
    This is a problem which i have seen only in the z series...and only reason i didnt went for z1 instead of n5,... I hope u get repair under warranty for it.
    Collecting reports of this issue and will visit them on Saturday, i f they refused i'll file a case in consumer court India, buyied with my whole years saving and dont have anything now

i dont have the issue, but i wish you the best of luck!
    and i'm almost sure they will fix it as your device is still under waranty! :)
    Goodluck and take care :)
    Guys good news i got my phone from and that too its a new handset on top of it free of cost :victory: