Just flashed ARHD

Search This thread

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
Just flashed it the other day. Why is my other so high? I just installed the apps that I normally install. I have the ROM file saved on my phone. Should I delete it?
ee09261dd97d836de98b496b0966bd3e.jpg

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Just flashed it the other day. Why is my other so high? I just installed the apps that I normally install. I have the ROM file saved on my phone. Should I delete it?

"Other" is anything on internal storage that doesn't fit the description of the other categories. The ROM alone is probably a GB or more. Also did you make a Titanium backup, or nandroid? Those take up storage, also.

I like to keep a known good ROM or nandroid (but not both, as that is excessive) on internal storage or removable SD, in case anything goes wrong I can restore with one of those (although you can pretty easily get it on the phone or SD if needed, so its just for convenience). But aside from that, its not necessary to keep the ROM zip.

Reactions: cjbart1009

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
"Other" is anything on internal storage that doesn't fit the description of the other categories. The ROM alone is probably a GB or more. Also did you make a Titanium backup, or nandroid? Those take up storage, also.

I like to keep a known good ROM or nandroid (but not both, as that is excessive) on internal storage or removable SD, in case anything goes wrong I can restore with one of those (although you can pretty easily get it on the phone or SD if needed, so its just for convenience). But aside from that, its not necessary to keep the ROM zip.
I have a nandroid of my stock. I just deleted it and other went down to 8gb. I asked someone with the same custom ROM and his other is only 5gb.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I have a nandroid of my stock. I just deleted it and other went down to 8gb. I asked someone with the same custom ROM and his other is only 5gb.

Did you outright delete the nandroid, or at least move/copy to your computer or SD first? You have 17 GB free, so unless you make a copy, discarding backup data for the sake of unneeded space seems like a poor trade-off.

Do you understand that flashing a ROM does not wipe the internal storage? So anything you saved there before the flash is still there. Unless you choose the option in recovery to wipe storage, which will then of course cause you to lose any personal data stored there (backups, photos, etc.).

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
Did you outright delete the nandroid, or at least move/copy to your computer or SD first? You have 17 GB free, so unless you make a copy, discarding backup data for the sake of unneeded space seems like a poor trade-off.

Do you understand that flashing a ROM does not wipe the internal storage? So anything you saved there before the flash is still there. Unless you choose the option in recovery to wipe storage, which will then of course cause you to lose any personal data stored there (backups, photos, etc.).
The nandroid is in my PC now. Forgot to mention that. I'll dig deeper into my phone. I don't really care about the extra storage space but if it's something that I can just delete then I do wanna delete it.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
There are various apps to look at storage, but I find that one to have a cool and useful interface:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=en

It visually shows you how much space a folder is taking up, and you can then tap on it to drill down.
Wow this a really nice app. Thanks for being so patient with me I really appreciate it. I'm not a brand new android user but when I had one before my ex took care of all the stuff like this. That's why I'm still needing help in some areas because I switched back to iPhone after my my touch 4g.

Can I delete the ROM file that I downloaded since I already flashed the ROM?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Wow this a really nice app. Thanks for being so patient with me I really appreciate it. I'm not a brand new android user but when I had one before my ex took care of all the stuff like this. That's why I'm still needing help in some areas because I switched back to iPhone after my my touch 4g.

No worries, we were all beginners at one time. For the most part, just passing on what I've learned here; and the coolest thing about XDA is that its a community where members help each other. In fact I only came across that Disk Usage app after another XDA user suggested it.

I already answered that question in post #2 above.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'll dig deeper into my phone. I don't really care about the extra storage space but if it's something that I can just delete then I do wanna delete it.

There are various apps to look at storage, but I find that one to have a cool and useful interface:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=en

It visually shows you how much space a folder is taking up, and you can then tap on it to drill down.

No worries, we were all beginners at one time. For the most part, just passing on what I've learned here; and the coolest thing about XDA is that its a community where members help each other. In fact I only came across that Disk Usage app after another XDA user suggested it.

I already answered that question in post #2 above.