[MOD] Swap Internal SD and External SD

Search This thread

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
Hey everyone,

Found this mod for the Galaxy S (Or SGSII, not sure what the i9003 is), which switches the Internal and External SD cards, according to the Android OS. Personally, I have a lot more space of my external SD and would like games and such to store their data there, instead of on my smaller internal SD. Some apps like Titanium backup can change their data locations, but Games such as Gameloft games and the like cant have their game data moved to the External SD card atm.

This looks like a great alternative to this issue, could this hack be adapted to the G2x?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1088474

hiko36

Jul 2, 2009
Dallas
Although I could see how you would think this would be in development, this post should actually go in Q&A.

That being said, this would be a very useful modification.

Edit: My apologies. Apparently you posted in precisely the right forum. My apprehension arose from the fact that so many people say 'BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS MODDD??!?!' and it just clutters things up so my immediate reaction was to motion to have it moved. Good deal bringing it to Krylon and Tweezit's attention :)

Last edited:

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
I couldnt decide between Q&A and Development for this topic, as it involves porting or adapting a hack for another phone to the G2x.

MODS: Please move this to Q&A, if necessary.

EDIT: Apparently not, this seems to be a development topic now :)

Last edited:

tweezit

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 6, 2010
Louisville
Here is a file Be warned I have not tested this. If it messes your phone up I am not held responsible. **Personally I would let another dev look at this to be on the safe side as I am not 100% sure on this.**

You will have to extract it and use root explorer to push to /system/etc/

Oh I needed to clarify this was on 2.2.2 so it may differ on 2.3.

Attachments

• vold.zip
    563 bytes · Views: 128
Last edited:
Reactions: overground

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Seattle
I'm looking at this now. Your biggest issue is you are going to have to have 3 different versions... well... in reality 2 different versions. CM based and Non-CM Based.
And if someone flashes the wrong one...they are hosed and will have to restore from a backup

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Seattle
ok, after reviewing Tweezits vold, Bionix vold, and CM7 vold, tweezit's would break mounting.
The reason being, with the introduction of Tegra, the vold changed for it.

I'll have to do some testing, but making the internal to external switch should be fairly easy.

Reactions: overground

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011
I'm looking at this now. Your biggest issue is you are going to have to have 3 different versions... well... in reality 2 different versions. CM based and Non-CM Based.
And if someone flashes the wrong one...they are hosed and will have to restore from a backup

Eh not bad in my eyes I always do backups

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011
ok, after reviewing Tweezits vold, Bionix vold, and CM7 vold, tweezit's would break mounting.

I'll have to do some testing, but making the internal to external switch should be fairly easy.

Is there a way to have setting like a switch to interchange between the two

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
We need to decide on a standard. Unfortunately some people don't have SD cards but I'm sure most people would that visit here.

I'm for the switch cause i hate crap installing to my internal drive. Cm already made the switch.

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Multiple versions just confuse the new guys. Would be nice if there was some priority... Like use SD as first choice then fall back on internal if SD is not present.

That still complicates things as people wont know what's going on.

****best idea****
If CWM flips it by default then you can just streamline everything and make a public service announcement on the CWM download page that they will be flipped and an SD is required for flashing. Makes sense to use a SD for flashing anyway.

Even a 2gb is plenty for some Roms and app storage. Save the internal for personal music and other media. I hope no one rocks less then that these days.

Plus if you use internal storage I can see certain scenarios popping up where they are boot looping and lost their access into the internal files. I can't mount using 3.1.0.1 external. If it werent for my SD I'd be stuck hardcore.

Last edited:

sryan1983

Feb 5, 2010
Oviedo, FL
Multiple versions just confuse the new guys. Would be nice if there was some priority... Like use SD as first choice then fall back on internal if SD is not present.

****best idea****
If CWM flips it by default then you can just streamline everything and make a public service announcement on the CWM download page that they will be flipped and an SD is required for flashing. Makes sense to use a SD for flashing anyway.

Even a 2gb is plenty for some Roms and app storage. Save the internal for personal music and other media. I hope no one rocks less then that these days.

I'm kind of with you on this one. I use all of my roms and such for the external SD card and everything else for internal.

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011

****best idea****

Plus if you use internal storage I can see certain scenarios popping up where they are boot looping and lost their access into the internal files. I can't mount using 3.1.0.1 external. If it werent for my SD I'd be stuck hardcore.

Good point however 5gb of internal space is not enough for me since I have 10gbs of music onmy sd card. I wish there was a way to have a switch function that will enable you to choose which sd crd to download to

MWBehr

Oct 11, 2010
Corpus Christi
I've attached the CWM flashable .zip of the mod I've been running for awhile that will swap your SDcards. Never been able to get it to mount the external card as a folder inside /sdcard/. Didn't really want to release it until I did, but here ya go anyway ;)

BTW, is it just me, or do init.d scripts not work in CM7?

This is for CyanogenMod only!

I don't have the volds from other builds on hand to mod them....

Attachments

• SD_Swap.zip
    125.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

zimphishmonger

Jun 4, 2009
WOW! I come back from long day of work and find all this discussion.....awesome!! Thanks for chiming in guys. I def understand there will have to be at least 2 versions cause of CM, but as its a file, couldnt a simple app\script be created to swap it back and forth, after detecting CM or not? It may be a lil beyond my scripting knowledge, for the detection portion at least.

I see a ton of useful reasons for this switch, as the 5GB isnt the 13ishGB that the Galaxy S has and doesn't quite satisfy the requirements of a "primary" sdcard IMO. The 5GB would be useful as an "_InternalSD" folder bind\mount (whatever is being used), with the External SD as the main SD card. I'll list a few useful reasons why.....

Off the top of my head......
If your a serious gamer and you have a TON of games that have downloadable files put to the SD card, that 5GB will go quick (Gameloft I'm looking at you)
External SD can hold WAY more nandroid backups than Internal SD, and ROM Manager would recognize them (I acknowledge the external sd issue is not really an issue w/ the two ext4 recoveries)

Last edited:

momentarylapseofreason

Apr 29, 2007
Chicago
Although I could see how you would think this would be in development, this post should actually go in Q&A.

That being said, this would be a very useful modification.

I humbly disagree.... If anything it would belong in the General or Development. It is a work towards development and there is no "question" being asked. Just because it isn't a ROM, doesn't make it any less important to work on the phone.

Just my .02

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

Found this mod for the Galaxy S (Or SGSII, not sure what the i9003 is), which switches the Internal and External SD cards, according to the Android OS. Personally, I have a lot more space of my external SD and would like games and such to store their data there, instead of on my smaller internal SD. Some apps like Titanium backup can change their data locations, but Games such as Gameloft games and the like cant have their game data moved to the External SD card atm.

This looks like a great alternative to this issue, could this hack be adapted to the G2x?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1088474
    Here is a file Be warned I have not tested this. If it messes your phone up I am not held responsible. **Personally I would let another dev look at this to be on the safe side as I am not 100% sure on this.**

You will have to extract it and use root explorer to push to /system/etc/

Oh I needed to clarify this was on 2.2.2 so it may differ on 2.3.

I've attached the CWM flashable .zip of the mod I've been running for awhile that will swap your SDcards. Never been able to get it to mount the external card as a folder inside /sdcard/. Didn't really want to release it until I did, but here ya go anyway ;)

BTW, is it just me, or do init.d scripts not work in CM7?

This is for CyanogenMod only!

I don't have the volds from other builds on hand to mod them....

this might pose an issue down the road though. Redoing the Vold is only half the battle. Kernel init.rc is the other half. We would have to build a custom kernel that matches the vold, so it would be a 2 step process. well....1 since they would be flashed together.