Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
There is a (not quite simple) way to get root + custom recovery + custom kernel + custom rom without ever tripping the flash counter:

1.) Flash rooted system.img
2.) Flash this CWM recovery using dd (extract recovery.img from tar, place on /sdcard/, from adb issue command: adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 )
3.) Copy my root/oc cwm kernel zip to /sdcard/ and any other CWM zips you wish to apply
4.) Boot to CWM, install from here.

Et. Voila, rooted, custom kernel, custom recovery, custom rom, without triggering flash counter.

sweetboy02125

Aug 16, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Not sure why ppl care about the root counter so much. Everytime i return the phone either to Bestbuy or Att, noone really asks anything about it.

Sent from my phonablet AT&T Galaxy Note - please forgive if typos

superfire71

Mar 25, 2011
NYC
Rom runs great. Love the JKay enhancements, especially the vol/next track option (like cm7).

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note

kikex76

Oct 23, 2011
There is a (not quite simple) way to get root + custom recovery + custom kernel + custom rom without ever tripping the flash counter:

2.) Flash this CWM recovery using dd (extract recovery.img from tar, place on /sdcard/, from adb issue command: adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 )
3.) Copy my root/oc cwm kernel zip to /sdcard/ and any other CWM zips you wish to apply

Et. Voila, rooted, custom kernel, custom recovery, custom rom, without triggering flash counter.

This is priceless man. I think this would help a lot if is listed under Q&A since everybody asks about it. I don't care either. I lost count already since I messed up the phone and using odin was the only way to get it fixed.

Hey bro, it seems like CWM Beta2 is coming out soon. Would you recommend doing a full wipe again to install the update? It sucks having reinstall the rom, apps and fixing the screens all over again. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

KLLSWITCH

May 19, 2007
NOR CAL
blownco.com
This is priceless man. I think this would help a lot if is listed under Q&A since everybody asks about it. I don't care either. I lost count already since I messed up the phone and using odin was the only way to get it fixed.

Hey bro, it seems like CWM Beta2 is coming out soon. Would you recommend doing a full wipe again to install the update? It sucks having reinstall the rom, apps and fixing the screens all over again. Any suggestions?

get titanium backup it will backup all that stuff for you then you can just restore it after a rom flash

Reactions: kikex76

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
i had flashed beta 1 and i can't get into recovery mode, i hold down the vol up + down then hold down the power button, it gets to the samsung logo and it just keeps vibrating and going to OS, what am i doing wrong.

parth6512

Feb 19, 2009
i had flashed beta 1 and i can't get into recovery mode, i hold down the vol up + down then hold down the power button, it gets to the samsung logo and it just keeps vibrating and going to OS, what am i doing wrong.

Release the power button after the first vibrate. But keep holding the vol up + down buttons until you see recovery screen.

Bataga

Jan 2, 2012
Georgia
Followed the instructions and worked like a charm! Had a slight issue in recovery, couldn't figure out how to ''select'' power off as it would just pop the cwm symbol. Just held down the button and it worked.

THANKS!!!

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
1.) Install CWM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1517134
2.) Copy the cwm zip to your /sdcard/
2.) Reboot into CWM either by issuing "adb reboot recovery" from command line, or loading ROM Manager app and choosing "Reboot into recovery", or by powering the device off and holding vol up+vol down and powering on.
3.) From CWM, choose "install zip from internal sd card" then navigate to the cwm zip you copied in, select it
4.) Select "reboot system"

Done and done! Adding this to first post.

Worked perfectly! I had to add "su" before the dd etc command but then I just rebooted recovery and voila CWM! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING, now I can mess around without worrying DA_G! Thank you a hundred times!

Please hit THANKS button if I help you, I have very low self esteem, and I crave validation! Sent from my Team EOS ICS Xoom

Reactions: ajithshettyb

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008

+1 to this question! Also there's a new clockwork beta 3 out? Is that the same, just two versions ahead? Any chance someone is gonna cwm zip it like DA_G did for his OC kernel maybe?

My phone will eat your Apple!

Reactions: kikex76

powdered_donuts

Dec 30, 2010
omaha

nice work! now find a way to bring my counter from 24 to 0 and ill find this usefull... lol

Rocket42

Jul 22, 2011
Red Bluff, Ca
hello, I have been following Da_g's recovery thread and this morning i find another and in Beta3. Can someone shed some light on what is happenning? Is the other thread taking over...Are these two independant of each other. Is the beta3 thread taking off form where the other left off? KInda confusing.

I have rooted but waiting a bit for CWR...just wanted some clarification...

Thanks all !!

kikex76

Oct 23, 2011
Help

+1 to this question! Also there's a new clockwork beta 3 out? Is that the same, just two versions ahead? Any chance someone is gonna cwm zip it like DA_G did for his OC kernel maybe?

My phone will eat your Apple!

Hey bro, I've been doing some searching about using DD or ADB, but haven't had any luck. You mentioned someting about SU and DD.
This is what I did from searching a lot. I downloaded sdk, copied adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll to c:/adb folder. Copied the recovery.img to /sdcard on phone. Turned on USB Debugging on phone. Opened Command prompt on windows and went to my adb folder. I ran adb devices, and shows my device I guess.
Now, when I type in the command: adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 i get: cannot open for write: permission denied.
Am I missing something, or doin something wrong?

I went to root explorer and checked r/w under sdcard. Tried again and got the same. I wonder if is dd is an app or something that have to be ran directly from the phone. Any help would be appreciated it. Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

nice work! now find a way to bring my counter from 24 to 0 and ill find this usefull... lol

I really hate saying this. I don't whant to encourage anybody else for these, but, maybe exchanging the phone for some reason, and start from scratch? :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts