Finally, hardware accelerated web browser!

Search This thread

pukemon

Jul 16, 2010
Richmond, TX
Lmao. Late to the party. One of the requirements of ICS is hardware acceleration of 2d elements of the ui/os. Its about f'in time google.

I voided my warranty and your mum.

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23
I was hoping some of the browser controls would be at the bottom of the screen since it'll make browsing with one hand easier kinda like in opera mobile, reaching the top tab button will be a pita with your thumb with such a tall screen..

Mylenthes

Aug 6, 2010
Is scrolling hardware accelerated too? One of the main reasons I liked samsung devices is because of the amazinh smooth scrolling.

Between the click of the light and the start of a dream.

Jul 24, 2011
The scrolling and pinching/zooming looks pretty quick and smooth.

I'd like to see the results of a SGS2 browser test ran the Galaxy Nexus: open a bunch of pages with flash videos playing at the same time (I think there were over 10), and then zoom/pinch one of them. The SGS2 handled that without lag. I'd like to see the HTML5 and Flash results from the GUIMark3 benchmark, too.

The Sunspider result is 1983ms (vs. 3385ms for SGS2, smaller is better) and the V8 version 6 result is 1387 (vs. 336 for SGS2, larger is better), so that bodes well for browsing on the Galaxy Nexus.

Galaid

Sep 1, 2010
[Q] GPU rendering (smoooth scrolling) in Browser

Hi,

I can't find info whether Google implemented GPU scrolling in ICS ala iOS or Samsung in their latest 2.3.4+ firmwares for GS and GS2?

That's only thing that's keeping me away from AOSP (CM7 now), but if it's in the ICS now, I wouldn't care about Samsung abandoning SG1.
If anyone has NG, please try. Thanks.

kanariya

Sep 17, 2007
New York
www.holicrap.com
From the videos I've seen, the whole os is hardware accelerated including the browser

Hi,

I can't find info whether Google implemented GPU scrolling in ICS ala iOS or Samsung in their latest 2.3.4+ firmwares for GS and GS2?

That's only thing that's keeping me away from AOSP (CM7 now), but if it's in the ICS now, I wouldn't care about Samsung abandoning SG1.

dnlsmy

Sep 16, 2010
Tampa/Orlando, Florida
Everything OS-wise is supposed to be 2D Hardware Accelerated according to the Android Code release page. However, it might be more sluggish compared to the SGS2, as they're both Hardware-Accelerated, but the SGS2 is only pushing 480*800 while the Nexus coming in at 1280*720.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA App

Jul 24, 2011
Everything OS-wise is supposed to be 2D Hardware Accelerated according to the Android Code release page. However, it might be more sluggish compared to the SGS2, as they're both Hardware-Accelerated, but the SGS2 is only pushing 480*800 while the Nexus coming in at 1280*720.
Sent from my Sensation using XDA App

The British tech blog, The Inquirer, posted a short review of the Galaxy Prime. This is what it had to say about performance:

"We certainly noticed the speed when browsing the web and opening apps, but we did notice a slight lag when changing the orientation of the device."

The article doesn't mention if the review device was running 4.01 that had the fix for video stuttering and whatnot.

Sjael

Feb 13, 2011
Christchurch

You'd be surprised how little power is required to perform full 2D acceleration. :p

Eattheirdead

Oct 26, 2011
Florida
Hi,

In Android Central's quick look video of the Galaxy Nexus that was posted today, the narrator mentions that the entire device is hardware accelerated multiple times.

I can't post links yet, but you can find the video embedded in the 4th story on the second page of Android Central. Likewise, you can search YouTube for "galaxy nexus, today" (without the quotes) and it's the first video.

Hope this helps!

Galaid

Sep 1, 2010
In Android Central's quick look video of the Galaxy Nexus that was posted today, the narrator mentions that the entire device is hardware accelerated multiple times.

I can't post links yet, but you can find the video embedded in the 4th story on the second page of Android Central. Likewise, you can search YouTube for "galaxy nexus, today" (without the quotes) and it's the first video.

Hope this helps!

I've just seen the video at the AndroidCentral.com. The browser is fast, but the point is not how quick you can scroll the page (it is quick), but how smooth is the actuall scrolling. If you saw iOS in personal (or Samsung 2.3.5+ firmwares for SGS1/SGS2) compared to AOSP, you'd know what I'm talking about.

No smooth browsing as I can see so far, unfortunately.

tjtj4444

Apr 11, 2011
I've just seen the video at the AndroidCentral.com. The browser is fast, but the point is not how quick you can scroll the page (it is quick), but how smooth is the actuall scrolling. If you saw iOS in personal (or Samsung 2.3.5+ firmwares for SGS1/SGS2) compared to AOSP, you'd know what I'm talking about.

No smooth browsing as I can see so far, unfortunately.

How do you expect to see 60fps smoothness on a heavily compressed 30 fps video?
And it's getting worse since there is no vsync between phone display and camera when recording the video (of course).

Sent from my GT-I9100

Galaid

Sep 1, 2010
How do you expect to see 60fps smoothness on a heavily compressed 30 fps video?
And it's getting worse since there is no vsync between phone display and camera when recording the video (of course).

Sent from my GT-I9100

Do you see on the long webpage partial appearing of the page while scrolling on sgs2? On NG?

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
Have you ever tried Opera Mobile? Even on my SGS it has amazing performance, and you don't see parts of the webpage only render correctly after a delay. It's all 60FPS and rendered right away.
These guys beat Samsung and Google for performance. Only issue is their browser takes a few seconds to start up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nice, very nice :) Finally, full hardware accelerated web browser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTpf0J5vfMs

Head to 50 seconds ...

Happy .. Happy .. Happy ..

I can now ditched Opera Mobile .
    Honestly, everyone will say that their phone is faster "my 600mhz android 1.6 phone takes 20 seconds is faster that your 1.5 ghz quad core HTC one x loading the same app in 2 seconds". Tbh here everyone is a fanboy and fanboy like you defend their phone like a mother protecting a child.
    And no, you should stop being a fanboy unless you have replaced your pair of eyes with 15fps shooters.

or if you were being sarcastic, its an exception

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

You call people fanboys, and yet act like a a GS2 fanboy.

pot, meet kettle.
    i am honest about this and you're not. You're just making **** loads of excuses from saying the sgs2 is laggy (video shows its not to now losing out and calling me a fanboy) That is what makes you a idiotic fanboy.

I am waiting for improvements and would rely on a official galaxy nexus Rom rather than cm9 on sgs2.

Edit: nope SGS2 browsers does not have motion blur effect on it (bull**** about actually using a demo the sgs2 AGAIN).
    Its just skiing on snow as a pose to a skate park
    Once again, i would be judging with by friends nexus.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

You started with the fanboy comments. You are just solidifying your position as a GS2 fanboy every insult you make.

So, let me get this straight....you haven't even tested a gnex yet and bashing it? Wow.

You have a little GS2 running down your chin. Want a tissue?
    Well sorry to disappoint. No special effects or firecrackers here. My phone is smooth. Doesn't SEEM smooth, it IS smooth. I would tell any curious gs2 or iPhone owner to see how far android has come with a 4.0.4 update. Everything got smoother from running .2 and 384mhz gpu to .4 and 307. No over clocks whatsoever and -200mv or more under volts. Still smooth. And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps. Off a fresh boot. But for the most part they usually aren't like that. Anyways, I am going to go start the galaxy nexus challenge. Winners get jelly beans.

bow chicka wow wow.

"And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps", clearly you haven't even touched a Galaxy S2 in person and made bull**** up to back up AOSP which is why Android is still rather unoptimised.
    We need people to be honest and google to fix lag issues for future builds.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

I've had both but I'm really not seeing much of a difference. I'm not getting lag when pinch and zooming. Once in a while, yes. But for example this forum web page, nexus general, is smooth as can be scrolling and zooming. But I agree the sgs2 gpu was a better chip and prob smoother overall. But I can't see much of a difference in performance smoothness honestly.

Its not with the GPU, SGS also has the same GPU as the Galaxy Nexus but at a lower clock speed. The once in a while lag is very annoying and what many of us hate is how android zooms in "level by level"

Here is what I mean by "micro lag", when flickering down a page on Galaxy Nexus there is visible "jitterlyness" and google needs to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVn-u7MbB3E
    "And I've played with gs2's that were choppy as hell in browser and maps", clearly you haven't even touched a Galaxy S2 in person and made bull**** up to back up AOSP which is why Android is still rather unoptimised.
    We need people to be honest and google to fix lag issues for future builds.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Its not with the GPU, SGS also has the same GPU as the Galaxy Nexus but at a lower clock speed. The once in a while lag is very annoying and what many of us hate is how android zooms in "level by level"

Here is what I mean by "micro lag", when flickering down a page on Galaxy Nexus there is visible "jitterlyness" and google needs to fix this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVn-u7MbB3E

my brother has a gs2.tweaked with custom rom,oc etc.the browser experience isn't good as my nexus,with 4.04 update,aosp based rom and a oc kernel i eat my bro in browser surfing at all (speed\pinch to zoom\scrolling\page rendering)notice that he has also ics with quick ics browser app from market same as mine (not tried with chrome or others)
    tried that with quick ics browser and stock.