Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Update (01-03-09)
v1.31 is out! This is a minor bugfix release to fix a few issues that had cropped up in v1.3.

The changes from v1.3 include:
  • Fixed the nandroid backup so that it works on sdcards with a raw fat32 filesystem (with no partition)
  • Added the telnetd binary from RC28
  • Fixed an issue with SuperUser where it was displaying the wrong processes in the su request popup
  • SuperUser should allow root to use su without displaying the popup (though there's not much point.. :))
  • Added /system/modules and /system/xbin to fstab in normal and recovery mode
  • Minor fix for the update-script, so the progress bar acts more sanely

I have the usual RC30 and RC8 versions, and new for v1.3 is an ADP1 version.

ADP1: (md5: 96b2abd9a1da2852bc33b2052ea51b2a)
http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=223&rb_v=viewtopic
http://www.gotontheinter.net/content/new-images-jf (at bottom of page)

RC30: (md5: 0f2e6a4244410e00028db55b4fbf808c)

RC8: (md5: e008bbe1d93abd0c2e5e6218f012f20d)

These updates are installed the normal way. Save them to your sdcard named update.zip, boot into recovery mode (home + power), and then press alt+l and alt+s. If you are switch between versions, e.g. from RC30 to ADP1, then it's usually a good idea to perform a wipe. You can try booting up without a wipe, but if it doesn't boot, or you get strange errors once it boots up, go back into recovery and perform a wipe (alt+w)

Note: To install these updates, you need to have a recovery image that uses test keys. If any of the following are true, you most likely have a recovery image that uses test keys
- you have installed my modified recovery image in the past
- you have an ADP1
- you currently have one of my modified firmwares installed

What's new?

The coolest new functionality in v1.3 is a new backup utility that allows you to perform a backup directly from recovery mode with alt+B. This is done using infernix's and brainaid's nandroid script, which they kindly modified to work in recovery mode. Let them know what you think :). The backups are stored in a subfolder in the nandroid folder on your sdcard. To restore them, you have to copy them to your computer, and then flash them with the fastboot tool (sorry, no integrated restore yet).

If you get errors when making a backup, first make sure you have enough free space on the sdcard. it needs around 85-90mb. If you have enough space, then try reformatting the sdcard (fat32 is your best bet).

Other changes of note include
  • This version includes a new busybox binary that I compiled against uclibc, making it much smaller (1.8mb vs 700kb).
  • All busybox applets are linked at /system/xbin/bb, which is also in the path. So there are many more standard unix commands available in the terminal.
  • Many more modules and binaries are included in /system/xbin and /system/modules. They were also optimized for size, so even though there are more modules and binaries, they actually take up much less space than they did on v1.2
  • I added the terminal emulator application to /system/app. (don't worry, it won't, or at least shouldn't :D, cause any problems if you already have it installed)
  • got rid of the normal su binary, in favor of koush's su and SuperUser application. See details here
  • when you boot up into recovery, it will automatically show the text. You can press alt+L to turn off the text and ogle the background. (did I mention there's a new background? shhh. it's a secret :p)
  • fixed the annoying uptime bug, where the uptime is shown incorrectly in the settings
  • added /data/local/bin to the path. Feel free to add your own binaries/scripts here.
  • includes the /dev/mtd/mtd6 and /dev/mtd/mtd6ro devices, which allow access to the entire flash chip (other than certain restricted areas used by the radio)
  • new "ro.modversion" property, that is set to "JFv1.3". The intent of this property is so you can know you are running a modified version, as well as identify which version
  • added a modified /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks file, which contains additional certificates for cacert.org (courtesy of Disconnect)
  • added a /system/etc/resolv.conf file with the 4.2.2 family of DNS servers, to allow busybox's ping, wget, etc. to resolve host names

See the attached change logs for a complete list of changes with respect to the corresponding "official" firmware.

---------------
Update (01-03-09): Updated the links to point to the v1.31 versions

In addition to the updates themselves, I am also releasing a build environment that can use to build each update from scratch. You can use these to easily make your own custom updates. It includes some utilities that were built from git source. The binaries are for 32bit x86 linux. If you want to run it on a different platform, you're on your own.

NOTE: You don't need these to use my update. Just download one of the updates from above and install it. The build environments are only if you want to make your own customized update.

The general idea of the build environment is that it extracts the original files from the official update (or from my original ADP1 update), and then copies over anything from the various ModifiedFiles folders, then packages it all back up into a ready-to-be-applied update.zip. It does this for the boot image, recovery image and system folder. You can also specify files to delete in the various OriginalFilesToDelete.mk files.

Consider anything new that I created for the build environments (the makefiles, etc.) to be in the public domain. Everything else retains its original license of course.

Instructions:
- extract the build environment into a folder
- download the official update that the update is based on, and put it in the root of the build environment. (note: use my original ADP1 update for the ADP1 build environment. available on this page)
- run make as root. yes, it has to be with root, because the binaries in the 2 cramfs images should be owned by root. (note: I plan on using fakeroot in the future, to workaround the need to be root)
- after make finishes, assuming there are no errors, the update should be in Workspace/update.zip.

Download the build environments here:

ADP1: (md5: 2d116b334515d4d702776b9d74d2e658)

RC30: (md5: 29ced6e7601bac47252e51e5ac4f0ca4)

RC8: (md5: b26f3cd244da9b8662766db69734000e)

Attachments

• ChangeLog-RC30.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 814
  • ChangeLog-RC8.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 212
  • ChangeLog-ADP1.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Sweet! great timing JF works like a dream!

Btw, love the new recovery background...I feel seizures coming on...:)

Stericson

pablizzo

Nov 9, 2008
Fantastic! Been waiting for your update, looking forward to it. THanks JF and others who made this possible!

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
Awesome, thanks!

So what would we need to do to replace the browser with Koush's auto-rotating version and how about replacing the alarm clock with Klaxon?

K

korndub

This is awesome! a little pre 2009 present! thanks JF for all that you do !!!

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Awesome, thanks!

So what would we need to do to replace the browser with Koush's auto-rotating version and how about replacing the alarm clock with Klaxon?

Download the build environment for the version you want, extract it, put the klaxon and browser apk into system/ModifiedFiles/system/app, put in a delete entry into system/ModifiedFiles/OriginalFilesToDelete.mk for the alarm apk and odex, then run make as root.

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
Download the build environment for the version you want, extract it, put the klaxon and browser apk into system/ModifiedFiles/system/app, put in a delete entry into system/ModifiedFiles/OriginalFilesToDelete.mk for the alarm apk and odex, then run make as root.

Will this work on windows vista with cygwin as opposed to a full linux VM?

Are there any specific binaries I need to install?

thanks again!

K

korndub

one last comment... love the Alt+B i know B is supposed to be for backup, but in my mind it stands for BADASS!!!!!!

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Will this work on windows vista with cygwin as opposed to a full linux VM?

Are there any specific binaries I need to install?

thanks again!

The binaries are for 32bit x86 linux. If you want to run it on a different platform, you're on your own.

You might be able to get it to work. You'll need to replace the linux binaries in the tools folder with windows equivalents.

But tbh, you're best bet is to install vmware and get an ubuntu VM running.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
In addition to the updates themselves, I am also releasing a build environment that can use to build each update from scratch. You can use these to easily make your own custom updates. It includes some utilities that were built from git source. The binaries are for 32bit x86 linux. If you want to run it on a different platform, you're on your own.

The general idea of the build environment is that it extracts the original files from the official update (or from my original ADP1 update), and then copies over anything from the various ModifiedFiles folders, then packages it all back up into a ready-to-be-applied update.zip. It does this for the boot image, recovery image and system folder. You can also specify files to delete in the various OriginalFilesToDelete.mk files.

Consider anything new that I created for the build environments (the makefiles, etc.) to be in the public domain. Everything else retains its original license of course.

I applaud you, sir. :D

s0niqu3

Feb 23, 2005
You might be able to get it to work. You'll need to replace the linux binaries in the tools folder with windows equivalents.

But tbh, you're best bet is to install vmware and get an ubuntu VM running.

Ah, thanks for the confirmation.

Is there anyone out there that can tackle this for me? I'm visiting family through the 5th, and don't feel right installing a linux VM on their computer.

If so, PM me, and I can give you the specifics, but really all I'd like is for the alarm clock to be removed and replaced with Klaxon, and for the browser to be replaced with koush's build that auto-rotates.

This would be for a G1 RC30 build.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

bekriebel

Dec 15, 2008
Thanks!

Thanks JF, I just flashed the ADP1 version and it is working great so far.

Have you attempted to add in the MyFaves app to the ADP build? I had tried a couple of things previously, but I was running into some errors. I may try it with your new build environment later if it is something you haven't attempted.

BTW - for those looking for a virtualized Linux environment, I also recommend Sun's Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). It is free for personal use and provides a lot of the functionality that you get from the paid versions of VMWare. In fact, some things seem to run smoother when running Linux virtualized on Vista 64bit; i.e. I can get copy/paste between OSes and auto-resizing guest screens without a lot of extra hassle. Just make sure that you read up on how to use the USB virtualization so you can create the filter for the phone as a USB device.

Great work once again JesusFreke!

-Brint

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Ah, thanks for the confirmation.

Is there anyone out there that can tackle this for me? I'm visiting family through the 5th, and don't feel right installing a linux VM on their computer.

If so, PM me, and I can give you the specifics, but really all I'd like is for the alarm clock to be removed and replaced with Klaxon, and for the browser to be replaced with koush's build that auto-rotates.

This would be for a G1 RC30 build.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

You can always do it manually of course. Install the update, then remount the system as rw, then delete the alarm apk and odex and the browser apk and odex from /system/app, and copy the klaxon and modified browser apk to /system/app

caleb12

Nov 10, 2008
JF!!! You... are a scholar and a gentleman... A happy new year to you...

Couldn't you also use an Ubuntu LiveCD just as easily? That would allow temporary access to a 'nix environment without touching the existing drive, mount one of the partitions temporarily for your make environments. Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (01-03-09)
    v1.31 is out! This is a minor bugfix release to fix a few issues that had cropped up in v1.3.

The changes from v1.3 include:
    • Fixed the nandroid backup so that it works on sdcards with a raw fat32 filesystem (with no partition)
    • Added the telnetd binary from RC28
    • Fixed an issue with SuperUser where it was displaying the wrong processes in the su request popup
    • SuperUser should allow root to use su without displaying the popup (though there's not much point.. :))
    • Added /system/modules and /system/xbin to fstab in normal and recovery mode
    • Minor fix for the update-script, so the progress bar acts more sanely

I have the usual RC30 and RC8 versions, and new for v1.3 is an ADP1 version.

ADP1: (md5: 96b2abd9a1da2852bc33b2052ea51b2a)

RC30: (md5: 0f2e6a4244410e00028db55b4fbf808c)

RC8: (md5: e008bbe1d93abd0c2e5e6218f012f20d)

These updates are installed the normal way. Save them to your sdcard named update.zip, boot into recovery mode (home + power), and then press alt+l and alt+s. If you are switch between versions, e.g. from RC30 to ADP1, then it's usually a good idea to perform a wipe. You can try booting up without a wipe, but if it doesn't boot, or you get strange errors once it boots up, go back into recovery and perform a wipe (alt+w)

Note: To install these updates, you need to have a recovery image that uses test keys. If any of the following are true, you most likely have a recovery image that uses test keys
    - you have installed my modified recovery image in the past
    - you have an ADP1
    - you currently have one of my modified firmwares installed

What's new?

The coolest new functionality in v1.3 is a new backup utility that allows you to perform a backup directly from recovery mode with alt+B. This is done using infernix's and brainaid's nandroid script, which they kindly modified to work in recovery mode. Let them know what you think :). The backups are stored in a subfolder in the nandroid folder on your sdcard. To restore them, you have to copy them to your computer, and then flash them with the fastboot tool (sorry, no integrated restore yet).

If you get errors when making a backup, first make sure you have enough free space on the sdcard. it needs around 85-90mb. If you have enough space, then try reformatting the sdcard (fat32 is your best bet).

Other changes of note include
    • This version includes a new busybox binary that I compiled against uclibc, making it much smaller (1.8mb vs 700kb).
    • All busybox applets are linked at /system/xbin/bb, which is also in the path. So there are many more standard unix commands available in the terminal.
    • Many more modules and binaries are included in /system/xbin and /system/modules. They were also optimized for size, so even though there are more modules and binaries, they actually take up much less space than they did on v1.2
    • I added the terminal emulator application to /system/app. (don't worry, it won't, or at least shouldn't :D, cause any problems if you already have it installed)
    • got rid of the normal su binary, in favor of koush's su and SuperUser application. See details here
    • when you boot up into recovery, it will automatically show the text. You can press alt+L to turn off the text and ogle the background. (did I mention there's a new background? shhh. it's a secret :p)
    • fixed the annoying uptime bug, where the uptime is shown incorrectly in the settings
    • added /data/local/bin to the path. Feel free to add your own binaries/scripts here.
    • includes the /dev/mtd/mtd6 and /dev/mtd/mtd6ro devices, which allow access to the entire flash chip (other than certain restricted areas used by the radio)
    • new "ro.modversion" property, that is set to "JFv1.3". The intent of this property is so you can know you are running a modified version, as well as identify which version
    • added a modified /system/etc/security/cacerts.bks file, which contains additional certificates for cacert.org (courtesy of Disconnect)
    • added a /system/etc/resolv.conf file with the 4.2.2 family of DNS servers, to allow busybox's ping, wget, etc. to resolve host names

See the attached change logs for a complete list of changes with respect to the corresponding "official" firmware.

---------------
    Update (01-03-09): Updated the links to point to the v1.31 versions

NOTE: You don't need these to use my update. Just download one of the updates from above and install it. The build environments are only if you want to make your own customized update.

Instructions:
    - extract the build environment into a folder
    - download the official update that the update is based on, and put it in the root of the build environment. (note: use my original ADP1 update for the ADP1 build environment. available on this page)
    - run make as root. yes, it has to be with root, because the binaries in the 2 cramfs images should be owned by root. (note: I plan on using fakeroot in the future, to workaround the need to be root)
    - after make finishes, assuming there are no errors, the update should be in Workspace/update.zip.

Download the build environments here:

ADP1: (md5: 2d116b334515d4d702776b9d74d2e658)

RC30: (md5: 29ced6e7601bac47252e51e5ac4f0ca4)

RC8: (md5: b26f3cd244da9b8662766db69734000e)