[Q] Trying to install KK OTA - stock, rooted

Search This thread

vflock

Mar 2, 2014
Moved this question from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51198721

I'm currently stock, rooted, S-OFF, and TWRP recovery. I'm flashed to 3.06.651.6 firmware.
I still get the OTA notifications, and my goal is to install the latest OTA update (without RUU) so that I can preserve data. I've created a TWRP backup, but that's the extent of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Other background - I reverted back to 3.06.651.6 after flashing firmware 4.06.xxx because I could not boot normally after that or did not know how.
My bootloader says Tampered, relocked

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Moved this question from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51198721

I'm currently stock, rooted, S-OFF, and TWRP recovery. I'm flashed to 3.06.651.6 firmware.
I still get the OTA notifications, and my goal is to install the latest OTA update (without RUU) so that I can preserve data. I've created a TWRP backup, but that's the extent of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Other background - I reverted back to 3.06.651.6 after flashing firmware 4.06.xxx because I could not boot normally after that or did not know how.
My bootloader says Tampered, relocked
Ok :D
I have never done an OTA or Ran an RUU personally.
To the best of my knowledge you will have to flash the stock recovery and a stock rom to be able to take the OTA.
Sidenote: You say you are re-locked...when you unlock again it's going to wipe your device.
Backup everything important to your PC then run the RUU stuff is gonna get wiped either way might as well use the RUU as it's a cleaner method.
You'll have to flash the 4.06 firmware I pointed you to from the other thread to get the required hboot.

vflock

Mar 2, 2014
Ok :D
I have never done an OTA or Ran an RUU personally.
To the best of my knowledge you will have to flash the stock recovery and a stock rom to be able to take the OTA.
Sidenote: You say you are re-locked...when you unlock again it's going to wipe your device.
Backup everything important to your PC then run the RUU stuff is gonna get wiped either way might as well use the RUU as it's a cleaner method.
You'll have to flash the 4.06 firmware I pointed you to from the other thread to get the required hboot.

Serious Q - Am I not On the stock ROM if I never switched ROMs?
But OK, s=you're saying if I were even able to get the stock revoery reloaded, and receive the OTA, but then if i try to unloack bootloader after that I won't be able to? Also serious Q - Do you have a link on performing a good nandroid backup?

Next - if I did run the RUU, how would i quickly restore my data - just using titanium backup? is that the quickest/only way?

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Serious Q - Am I not On the stock ROM if I never switched ROMs?
But OK, s=you're saying if I were even able to get the stock revoery reloaded, and receive the OTA, but then if i try to unloack bootloader after that I won't be able to? Also serious Q - Do you have a link on performing a good nandroid backup?

Next - if I did run the RUU, how would i quickly restore my data - just using titanium backup? is that the quickest/only way?
If you never changed roms then yes you are on a stock rom.
To unlock the bootloader again you would use Htc Dev again(unless you still have your unlock token) and by doing so it will wipe your phone.
Only way to nandroid is to have a custom recovery which means unocking bootloader.
I personally don't use Titanium Backup so can't answer that...I backup my phone/sdcard to my PC at least once a month (copy and paste to a folder on my PC)