the ics update is "almost here"

Search This thread

phat78boy

Sep 6, 2006
It's funny to have you mention about Apple. Did apple allow Siri to run on other devices? Or they just use it so that they can sell more 4S? And for updates, have you try to update your iDevices from 5.0 to 5.1? Can you see any different?
I know a lot people got frustrated because "even my mom have ICS now". But you can ask any friend of you who have Galaxy S2, they was crying for ICS also. When S2 have the update, they all get excited, but after a few days they realize that it cannot transform their S2 into S3. Asked them how much it have changed and their reply is "don't know, but it's great to be updated with the latest Android build". That's all. Although you can see that usually, Android updates have much more features changed in compare with iOS.
I think many people was like, just ICS, what is a big deal, a lot of devices already have it. Even some hobbyist developer can do it so what take Samsung so long to make it. But things are not as simple as you may have thought. Because what Samsung need to deliver to us is not just ICS. It is another version of ICS that fully customized, optimized for your devices. The more customization, the more work need to be done. And that why some devices with less customization got update first. Even if they have done the work with the customization, optimization, there are still plenty of things for they to do: testing and improve the firmware until it get to the satisfaction level. For example in Galaxy S Froyo update, There was plenty of leak builds in this XDA forum, and a few months after the first Samsung's Froyo Firmware leak before Samsung released the official build to everybody. Xda-developers always have statement like "Flash at your own risk" but Samsung cannot say so. Xda-developer can release build even daily but Samsung cannot do so. It would be very bad if everyone need to update their devices after a short time. The stability is also a very big issue, there are no point to have ICS but when you try to do something simple, it go wrong...

My 2 year olds Galaxy S still have update last month so I think it is not like Samsung totally forgot the customers after they have sold the device.But yes, I think Samsung could pleased us more if they hire more man power to providing updates (but i think there are no point to move man power from new device development to update development, the fact is new firmware work best with new hardware). I hope with the great profit they've just made last quarter, they should invest more in that area to give their customers more satisfactory.

I'm still waiting for the ICS but I think there are no point to be pissed off because it's haven't came yet. I still can use my tablet now. But I will be really pissed of if Samsung deliver it poorly, buggy, laggy..., they should better make it worth the wait.

You are not comparing like items. Featured software is independent of OS upgrades IMHO. The original iPhone was upgraded many years after it had stopped being sold. Yes there is a point where updates will be too advanced for hardware, but Apple's track record is quite good for a typical phone life cycle of 2-3 years. Is there any way you see the Evo getting upgraded to ICS? No, yet that's exactly what Apple has done product after product.

The after sale experience is something severely lacking and I hope one of these Android manufacturers will get it someday soon. With HTC consolidating their phone line, it could be the first step to a better post sale user experience.

Trust me, I have no love for Apple and their products. I do, however, admire how they design their products from an end user view point. They realize that they can charge a premium up front, because their product will be updated/supported for years to come. Besides the Nexus line, no other Android line is even close.

sasquatch080

Oct 31, 2011
springdale

badogg

Mar 11, 2011
You are not comparing like items. Featured software is independent of OS upgrades IMHO. The original iPhone was upgraded many years after it had stopped being sold. Yes there is a point where updates will be too advanced for hardware, but Apple's track record is quite good for a typical phone life cycle of 2-3 years. Is there any way you see the Evo getting upgraded to ICS? No, yet that's exactly what Apple has done product after product.

The after sale experience is something severely lacking and I hope one of these Android manufacturers will get it someday soon. With HTC consolidating their phone line, it could be the first step to a better post sale user experience.

Trust me, I have no love for Apple and their products. I do, however, admire how they design their products from an end user view point. They realize that they can charge a premium up front, because their product will be updated/supported for years to come. Besides the Nexus line, no other Android line is even close.
Well to be fair just because there is an update for a device doesn't mean it is a good thing. For example, my I pod touch 2ND gen got an OS update, 4 I think it was, and the damn thing is almost useless it lags so bad and constantly losses wifi. so being that the HC 3.2 Samsung works really good on my GT10.1 I'm not crying about ics for it out my rezound. :)

LiverpoolFCfan

Dec 8, 2006
Dublin
If you only produced a handful of products a year it would be easy to keep up support in this way - and the less you produce the faster you can update each.
Samsung probably produce more phones in a year than Apple has done iPhones/iPads/Ipods in their lifetime.

phat78boy

Sep 6, 2006
If you only produced a handful of products a year it would be easy to keep up support in this way - and the less you produce the faster you can update each.
Samsung probably produce more phones in a year than Apple has done iPhones/iPads/Ipods in their lifetime.

I agree that less models are easier to support. I believe that is something many manufacturers are now seeing and currently trying to figure out how to proceed. HTC decided to flatten out their lineup and hopefully we will see the benefit from that.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

Well to be fair just because there is an update for a device doesn't mean it is a good thing. For example, my I pod touch 2ND gen got an OS update, 4 I think it was, and the damn thing is almost useless it lags so bad and constantly losses wifi. so being that the HC 3.2 Samsung works really good on my GT10.1 I'm not crying about ics for it out my rezound. :)

I understand that not all updates are equal, but atleast you have the option.

xTONEx

Jul 10, 2010
I'm just confused as to why the io gtab hasn't gotten the update... It's not cause of customizations

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
/rant on

If there was a manufacturer that did yearly cushion upgrades, I think you would be pretty upset if yours didn't.

Wrong. That's YOUR opinion. Don't assume everyone thinks the same way.

I have a Home Theater PC using Windows 7, Media Center and a cable card tuner for TV. It's stable, runs as expected and there's absolutely, positively no need to update it. Period. I haven't applied Windows updates in over 12 months. Now, before you get on a high horse about that being dangerous, it's not. The PC never sees the Internet directly and the browser is never used.

It never fails and upgrades won't improve my experience.

Apple has raised the bar in customer satisfaction

The ONLY Apple product that I own is a circa 2006 iPod. APPLE HAS NEVER, EVER, SENT AN UPGRADE TO THE SOFTWARE FOR THAT IPOD. Apple is a poor example.

Delaying updates on perfectly good hardware because you are trying to push your new hardware will simply turn people off and send them elsewhere now. That is exactly what you are seeing with most manufacturers. The first one to realize this, besides Apple, will do quite well in the future.

In your opinion, of course. I believe your opinion to be wrong. I own a Tab and in my family there are four of us that own Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones. I can GUARANTEE you that, other than me, none of my family members know about or give a rats ass about the ICS upgrade delay that the Nexus community is up in arms about.

Yes, there's a development community that cares about this stuff, but that number is so small and infinitesimal to be insignificant. Samsung could lose EVERY one of these as customers and it wouldn't put a hiccup in their sales numbers. Samsung is BIG, very BIG and the development community is SMALL, very SMALL.

Samsung thinks in terms of hundreds of millions of customers. The development community is in the tens of thousands.

Quit living in a world where you think your opinion matters to Samsung. It doesn't. They care about the hundreds of millions that don't give a rats ass about upgrades.

/rant off

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
/rant on

I have a Home Theater PC using Windows 7, Media Center and a cable card tuner for TV. It's stable, runs as expected and there's absolutely, positively no need to update it. Period. I haven't applied Windows updates in over 12 months. Now, before you get on a high horse about that being dangerous, it's not. The PC never sees the Internet directly and the browser is never used.

The ONLY Apple product that I own is a circa 2006 iPod. APPLE HAS NEVER, EVER, SENT AN UPGRADE TO THE SOFTWARE FOR THAT IPOD. Apple is a poor example.

In your opinion, of course. I believe your opinion to be wrong. I own a Tab and in my family there are four of us that own Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones. I can GUARANTEE you that, other than me, none of my family members know about or give a rats ass about the ICS upgrade delay that the Nexus community is up in arms about.

Yes, there's a development community that cares about this stuff, but that number is so small and infinitesimal to be insignificant. Samsung could lose EVERY one of these as customers and it wouldn't put a hiccup in their sales numbers. Samsung is BIG, very BIG and the development community is SMALL, very SMALL.

Samsung thinks in terms of hundreds of millions of customers. The development community is in the tens of thousands.

Quit living in a world where you think your opinion matters to Samsung. It doesn't. They care about the hundreds of millions that don't give a rats ass about upgrades.

/rant off

+1000 for that! One of the best posts. I know about 10 people with android phone and only one knows what rooting is!!!!!!! I'm sure that (if and) when Samsung release ICS almost everyone in here will turn to cm9... The only thing most of you (us) want, are the camera drivers...:p What I am saying is that if we could have an AOSP or cm fully working, there would be a lot less posts regarding official update...
And to conclude I want to say that an ICS update will not make our tabs fly or something...BUT transition from android x.y to android z.q is much more obvious and different than iOS 5 to 5.1... Don't confuse apple updates with Google's...
Thanks for reading my 2 cents!
Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)

jojokaizer

Aug 12, 2011
/rant on

/rant off

Yes, and its people like you who allow Samsung to ass rape all the people who cares or wants a smoother experience on android. No one needs any updates, lets just pump hardware out and stop support for it. If you are dumb enough to believe that's how it should be.... I guess no one can help you. -1000 for ****ing the community.

Digital Man

Jul 21, 2007
New York
Ah geesh! TabGuy has convinced me. Sold my tab 10.1 today and dusted off my Philips Nino.

All this upgrade sh*t is just crap which, come to think of it, is somewhat redundant.

For all you kids out there who never had the joy of owning one, here's the lowdown on this tech marvel: http://www.pcworld.com/article/7623/philips_nino_welldesigned_handheld.html

And if TabGuy is jealous, I'll sell it to him for half price!! Best yet, its the original monochrome version.....oooooooo pretty cool huh?

phat78boy

Sep 6, 2006
/rant on

/rant off

I guess you could call it my opinion, but when Apple is sitting on more cash reserves then any other business in the US...I would say my opinion is the majority one.

I can see why no one knows about Android updates besides us geeks, look how many devices actually have it. Most Android manufacturers wouldn't tell anyone about an Android update if they had it there way and that is exactly my point. After the initial sale, your pretty much dead to them.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

+1000 for that! One of the best posts. I know about 10 people with android phone and only one knows what rooting is!!!!!!! I'm sure that (if and) when Samsung release ICS almost everyone in here will turn to cm9... The only thing most of you (us) want, are the camera drivers...:p What I am saying is that if we could have an AOSP or cm fully working, there would be a lot less posts regarding official update...
And to conclude I want to say that an ICS update will not make our tabs fly or something...BUT transition from android x.y to android z.q is much more obvious and different than iOS 5 to 5.1... Don't confuse apple updates with Google's...

I'm not comparing Android and Apple updates, just the fact that one gets regular updates and the other doesn't.

mongoboy

Apr 27, 2012
gaithersburg
forget

ics hehe, android, linux...forget. yesterday was linux, today android, but windows always on top. windows ce will dominate mobile devices.. linux is dead, android will be next. no way .keep dreamin

Just_Another_N00b

Mar 2, 2012
Oil- and Cowtown, AB
Tomato - Tomatoe

ics hehe, android, linux...forget. yesterday was linux, today android, but windows always on top. windows ce will dominate mobile devices.. linux is dead, android will be next. no way .keep dreamin

I think this remark does not add any value to the discussion, so please keep on the issue of the thread. (Personally I think you are wrong)

It is a shame that Samsung dropped back from leader of the pack, even with new releases they are not that far ahead anymore (if ever), and I am sorry to see this delay of something they should have released according to original schedule.
Or just a simple explanation would help. I am willing to load any ICS Rom, as long as the camera is working 100%. That is my reason for reacting in this thread.

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild

Really? Windows has been making smartphones longer than Google, and they are still tailing behind. For one thing, they have no app support, and that alone will kill them.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using xda premium

L33t Masta

Aug 11, 2009

So? Apple is still supporting the iPhone 3GS which is almost 3 years old now. It gets the same updates as the other phones (maybe a few features removed because it is a bit older and slower) and at the EXACT same time as the other phones. You don't see any of what we've seen with the Galaxy tab. I just got my Tab 10.1 3G and I love it. I sold my HP TouchPad and now I really think this is the way to go. If Samsung doesn't update it for ICS then we have the CM9 ROMs and we'll have a working camera at least because of the drivers from the wifi only Tab. I'm alright with this. I keep an iPhone because of it's updates and I keep an Android tablet for messing around with.

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
So? Apple is still supporting the iPhone 3GS which is almost 3 years old now. It gets the same updates as the other phones (maybe a few features removed because it is a bit older and slower) and at the EXACT same time as the other phones. You don't see any of what we've seen with the Galaxy tab. I just got my Tab 10.1 3G and I love it. I sold my HP TouchPad and now I really think this is the way to go. If Samsung doesn't update it for ICS then we have the CM9 ROMs and we'll have a working camera at least because of the drivers from the wifi only Tab. I'm alright with this. I keep an iPhone because of it's updates and I keep an Android tablet for messing around with.

Well, the iphone is like the nexus series. Hence the updates. If ios was available to a number of different devices, from different manufacturers, there would be exactly the same fragmentation problem. Of course official support is essential, but we have something that apple doesn't: Xda is a developer forum. Most of us will turn to cm. And even if Samsung won't support the tab (which I doubt it), then we still have the community. My Samsung galaxy 3 was qualified for 2.2 by Samsung, but we have a working cm7 and cm9 porting in progress...All thanks to Xda. That is the power of an open platform...Even if the companies won't give us updates, we create our own, which sometimes are way better..Now try THAT on your phones fanboys...:p It's ok if you keep your phone for the updates but I personally prefer developing from updating.

Peace...:)

phat78boy

Sep 6, 2006
Well, the iphone is like the nexus series. Hence the updates. If ios was available to a number of different devices, from different manufacturers, there would be exactly the same fragmentation problem. Of course official support is essential, but we have something that apple doesn't: Xda is a developer forum. Most of us will turn to cm. And even if Samsung won't support the tab (which I doubt it), then we still have the community. My Samsung galaxy 3 was qualified for 2.2 by Samsung, but we have a working cm7 and cm9 porting in progress...All thanks to Xda. That is the power of an open platform...Even if the companies won't give us updates, we create our own, which sometimes are way better..Now try THAT on your phones fanboys...:p It's ok if you keep your phone for the updates but I personally prefer developing from updating.

Peace...:)

Your right, device fragmentation is a huge problem and one they don't care about. That is more the point of frustration then anything else. Its a business model, and one that Apple is proving is an outdated way of thinking.

Old way of thinking was to put out new and improved hardware as fast as possible. The new way is to limit the amount of hardware released, but extend support for the hardware longer. By doing this, you create brand loyalty and extend post hardware sales through accessories and your app store.

None of us is arguing the power of community here, its amazing. Its just upsetting that the community can put out updates faster then the manufacturer who built the hardware. I know testing and release schedules, etc...but its still way too much time IMHO.

Reactions: Panos_dm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys seems like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be updated to ICS this month. Click the link and scroll to where the comments are posted. Perhaps this is it ^_^ mind the Galaxy Tab 2... just scroll to the first comment posted where the customer is talking to a tech

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/1...aunches-in-the-united-states-starting-may-13/

- Google
    This thread is way to whiny. If you think Samsung sucks, then stop using their products. If you think Apple is better, then go to some Apple forum. This thread has run it's course - a moderator should lock garbage like this.
    I don't have a problem with debates. We all have our douchebag moments. Does that mean we only want to interact with one another as douchebags?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

=] no because moments like that are only saved for the bigger douchebags of the world. This place is nothing but knowledge and I've gained a good amount of it from ppl who actually think there is no such thing as a stupid question. Its from them that you become confident and take in knowledge to help others who were just like u when lost. Those who are jerks on here because of a question I asked I ignore or I can respond in my own way =P.

- Google
    You're the reason why we live in a world that's heading to its death. Nothing matters, we are just individuals who make no difference in anything. Why is it so wrong to expect the future of a product you purchase? Actually many people base their reason to buy purely on the life of their device. Why is apple so popular? Support, they have one of the best support of any company I know. You can think what you want, I will change for the better by not buying another product from Samsung.

jojo,

Relax. This is just a technology gadget, it's not a cause. There is life outside of a gadget. It's just a tool to get work done, not a lifestyle. Obsessing doesn't change anything.

If the world is heading to its death it's because too many worry about objects instead of other people.
    I just love how the internet completely turned people into impatient kids with no sense of time what so ever.

I know what you mean. I'm only a new tab owner. But have been using Android for awhile.

I can't believe how impatient some people here have been. Stating things as ridiculous as "I'm going to sell my unit". Some people here just really need to relax & just enjoy their tab.

Anyway that's my two cents for the day :)