ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Search This thread

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
The phone is unlocked... If it wasn't it would have given a SIM not accepted error when I started it up with a Bell SIM card. Or do you mean something different by "sim unlock"?

It only brings up Rogers Wireless when I search for a network...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-01-03-23-01-00.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-03-23-01-00.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
In that case, you could swap the motherboards. Im guessing they'll fit since both are I747 variants.

To answer your first question though, you cannot flash firmware from any other device. Roms are ok, but not the firmware.
I think swapping the motherboard will be the best solution though.

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
That suggestion kind of sets my heart to quaking... I've never tried to get inside a smartphone before, and I would be scared that I'd wreck both phones... Also, the i747m has numerous problems, including extremely poor battery life, inconsistent call behaviour and random reboots. Is there a chance that some of that would follow the motherboard onto the i747?

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Its very possible any problems would follow the motherboard, if they are firmware related, they definitely will.
Its actually a very easy thing to do though. Search "galaxy s3 disassembly" on YouTube and you'll see exsctly what it involves.

You could try copying the apns-conf.xml from the Bell device. Rename the original on the I747 so you can easily revert if need be. Its located in /system/etc. After copying it over, reboot and test. You may need to manually enter the right apn too.

If you care to give it a try, flash my Sprint KK Port and see if it works on thst rom. (Saranhai posted it in the development section. StockMod KK)

If it works on that rom, copy the apns-conf.xml just to kerp on your sdcard. I used one that should cover just about every carrier we deal with in these forums. If it works, whenever you flash another rom, just copy it over the one included and reboot.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

I uploaded the apns-conf.xml for you. After downloading, delete the .txt off the filename so it should just be apns-conf.xml.
Copy this to /system/etc (dont forget to change permissions to match the original file)

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358559930

quaxer

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for your help. Let's get one thing straight, though. Voice and text are not working either. Changing apns-conf.xml won't affect anything but data, will it?

Sent from my SGH-I747M

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Tbh, im not 100% sure on that. It won't hurt anything to try it though. Just rename the original, that way you can easily go back to it if need be.

SnowDog1977

Jul 14, 2014
Toronto
Kernel 4.4.2 to 4.3

Can one use a ROM for ALL kernels provided it is for your carrier ? Mine is 4.4.2 and the ROM I have for Bell is 4.3. Does that make any difference as to flashing it ? I have i747MVLUEMK5 ROM for Bell. Do ALL ROMs come with a kernel for it and must one use a ROM for a particular kernel ?

boziditofik

Dec 28, 2014
hello xda
I, personally, I have the same problem. my phone is
Model: GT-I9300

Board : MSM8960
Bootloader : I747UCALEM
Compilation : I9300ZSEMC1
CPU_ABI : armeabi-v7a
Device : d2can
Fingerprint : samsung/d2vl/d2can:4.1.1/JRO03L/I9300ZSEMC:user/release-keys
Hardware : qcom
Host : SEP-106
ID : JRO03L
Manufacturer : samsung
Model : GT-I9300
Product : d2vl
Firmware : I9300ZSEMC
Android version : 4.1.2
but d2can unavaible in cyanogenmod in cm d2att
saw help me please

force70

weird question here. I installed the newest CWM version (to upgrade to 4.3) and I thought the Telus version was the "d2att" version but upon installling it, it stated that I needed the "d2spr" version on this phone instead of "d2att". I thought this was very weird at first but that was the only one working, so I installed it.

now, im trying to install CM10.2 and on his website, it says I should use the d2att version of his rom to be compatible. so I use this one, but neither d2att or d2spr want to install on my s3, they all says STATUS 7 error. found a little tutorial but now it says STATUS 6. bummer

what Am I doing wrong ? what version do I have to choose, d2att or d2spr ?

thanks a bunch.

I have the telus model, its d2can. Spr is sprint you def dont want that. And i would run twrp over cwm if i were you.

sent from Canada via my Note 4, 3 or 2

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Hi there, im relatively new to XDA and have a big issue i need some help with so if anyone knows the answer please PM me so my trivial seeming problems dont clog up forums- I have an s3, i747m that was running latest android 4.3 update. Tried to root with CF-auotroot, but knox security policy kept impeding me. I did eventualy get root but my entire system was so painfully slow, when i downloaded Root Checker it even said system is running slow and never actually did verify root access since it took so long to try.

I gave up on rooting Android 4.3 build and tried to flash a pre-rooted rogers android 4.1.2 rom via odin. It instantly said FAIL. I then tried the non rooted rogers stock rom and it instantly said failed. So now I am left with a bricked device and am out of ideas on how to get anything working.. in download mode I have some new lines in top left i havent seen before:Warranty Bit: 1. Bootloader RP SWREV: 1. SW REV CHECK FAIL: Fused 1 > Binary 0. Can any one pleeeeease help me?

You cant flash roms via odin lol, they are zip files odin flashes tar files.

Download the latest firmware for your device from sammobile.com and flash that using odin 3.09.

Then cf auto root.

Then twrp

All using the AP button

Problem solved. I picked up another S3 on sat and other than downloading the latest firmware those 3 things took literally about 5 min.

Its very hard to brick a sammy device..do the above and your gtg.

And before you do that you need to read as much as possible on those 3 items before flashing anything.by trying to flash a rom via odin is a good indicator your very new to this type of thing. Thats no problem but read read read THEN flash not vice versa.

sent from Canada via my Note 4, 3 or 2

Last edited:

diogen

Nov 17, 2007
A quick question to fellow Canadians (or those having the i747M phone):

When dealing with the Galaxy S4 (i317m), most of the time just downgrading the modem
(and some voodoo in the service menu) was enough to unlock the handset.
Even if it did NOT work, there was never any risk in bricking it.

I don't see any discussions about similar ways to unlock the i747M (or Galaxy S3 in general).
Every time it comes down to: unless you have a non-KNOX device (i.e. Android version below 4.3),
you can't unlock it through the service menu. Because flashing down from 4.3+ bricks the handset...

Just want to make sure I understand: Does this apply even when "downgrading" the modem only?
Will I brick it when doing that? If not, can I get into the service menu after "downgrading"?

Thanks.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
A quick question to fellow Canadians (or those having the i747M phone):

When dealing with the Galaxy S4 (i317m), most of the time just downgrading the modem
(and some voodoo in the service menu) was enough to unlock the handset.
Even if it did NOT work, there was never any risk in bricking it.

I don't see any discussions about similar ways to unlock the i747M (or Galaxy S3 in general).
Every time it comes down to: unless you have a non-KNOX device (i.e. Android version below 4.3),
you can't unlock it through the service menu. Because flashing down from 4.3+ bricks the handset...

Just want to make sure I understand: Does this apply even when "downgrading" the modem only?
Will I brick it when doing that? If not, can I get into the service menu after "downgrading"?

Thanks.
Once your phone has knox installed, you cannot sim unlock the phone using any free method.

Downgrading the modem may be possible but you will not gain anything by doing so.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
FYI, any d2lte custom rom should be fine on the i747m as long as there rom supports the phone's installed modem and bootloader.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

domi3010

Oct 28, 2011
Vaughan
5.1.1 for I747M

I could not find the official CM 12.1 thread with ROM for I747M, only found this one: Android 5.1.1 - Unofficial Cyanogenmod 12.1 (d2att, d2tmo,d2can) with a twist - 07/10
and the instructions there are missing
please point to right thread with complete info on how to from start to finish.
domi

joeroni

Jun 15, 2011
niagara falls,canada
What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

Last edited:

DavidWCS

Nov 13, 2019
CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).
My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
Damn fine phones.

l0nestar

Aug 8, 2010
While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).

What CRdroid version/package did you use? I too have a d2att that I loved using. I has been stuck on Android 7.1.2 for years and I was curious about how I could breath some more speed and life back into it.

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
    T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
    Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
    Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
    if it helps you I have a Sasktel I747m and have had no issues flashing Task and Ktoonzes AOKP JB versions so far. I did notice that the about device showed my device as an i747 after flashing.
    I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
    CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
    My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
    Damn fine phones.
    As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.