[Q] No Face Unlock?

Search This thread

ccs1988

Aug 18, 2010
Singapore
Hi, Just pushed the 4.0.3 update to my Nexus S SLCD. Everything works perfectly but its seems that i do not have the feature for Face Unlock. Anyone with the same or other variants face this problem too? Would be helpful if some one will advice too. Million thanks!

zorak950

Dec 21, 2010
I noticed this too, not that I really miss it. I suppose the NS FFC has a tenth of a megapixel lower resolution, but I doubt that's why it was left out. Beyond that, I'm not really sure why the NS would be any less able to run it than the GN. Maybe the camera hardware is worse enough in other aspects as to make it impractical. Maybe the Google team decided it was too gimmicky to include, or were otherwise put off by the buzz over the feature's vulnerabilities. Or maybe the Android team just got lazy. :p

...Anyway, I'm not worried about it. In practice I don't think Face Unlock is much faster or otherwise more practical than using a PIN or pattern; I kind of doubt I'd have switched over even if it was included, though I admit it would have been entertaining to try it out a time or two. Ah, well...

ccs1988

Aug 18, 2010
Singapore
Hey ur so right. Just wanna try it out n entertain myself for awhile with that too haha. Still wished to have the feature tho. :) I believe some one sooner or later will include that in NS.. Just a little patience will do the trick. Thanks Zorak!

caramelpolice

Dec 17, 2011
I tried Face Unlock on some ICS ROMs and it seemed pretty flimsy. I'm betting the camera resolution and poor low-light quality caused Google not to support it on the Nexus S.

pafaisal

Apr 7, 2011
Dubai
No face unlock in stock rom 4.0.3.. Except this, its awesome...no lagging...and its fast..Thanks to google...

AeroEchelon

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
In kwiboo v3 face unlock is working.

Nexus S + CM9 kangs = Awesomeness ;)

It is present in Kiwiboo's ROM as with any other ported ICS ROM. However, it doesn't mean it was good.

I tried it on that ROM and it unlock my phone 1/10 times. Not even worth it. Probably due to the low resolution hardware of the front facing camera and perhaps processing speed.

Logomotph

Dec 18, 2011
I tried installing the face unlock apk from CM9, but it FCd when I tried to set it up. I bet someone's gonna make one that works sooner or later.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't really care about it. Didn't work well on any of the ICS roms I tried.

mariusbutuc

Dec 20, 2011
Toronto
unfoldingcode.com
I thought from the start that the Face Unlock feature would be quite nifty, and didn't think much about the vulnerabilities it might have. So I have to admit: I was quite disappointed for not having it after manually upgrading to ICS 4.0.3.

But then I saw:
the buzz over the feature's vulnerabilities
so it got me curious.

After a bit of research, I saw the "Ice Cream Sandwich Face Unlock feature compromised" video on youtube by soyacincautv. Being able to fool the Face Unlock feature with just a photo makes it quite vulnerable in my eyes.

While it seems to me to be a gimmick, Face Unlock is a cool gimmick nevertheless, and I'm sure it will be used by the casual users who value convenience more than security, as it can be used as an automatic unlock.