OUYA ROM and other question

Search This thread

---blacksoul---

Mar 22, 2012
Messina
Hi guys, I was wondering if the ROM of OUYA is already available online to be changed, and if it is not it can be moved by connecting the console to the PC? Or the console's USB port is not suitable for this purpose? And having already Ouya the ROOT else is already installed the Recovery? or you have install? And how can you get into Recovery? Ok maybe it's still a bit too early for these questions since it is still in the hands only of those who have contributed to the project on Kickstarter but if anyone was informed I'd like

I"m assuming you'll be able to use ADB and what not. Ouya said, the standard Ouya can be used to develop games, so it would seem reasonable all Ouya's can be connected to a PC, and I assume the USB port will be sufficient.

As for the rest, I think it's just a tad early to know with certainty. The only well know people to have the any units are those early dev kits, and some of hardware reviewers. I haven't heard or read, nor do I believe they would release the Ouya ROM. And based on what Ouya has stated, it looks like we're getting late beta firmware/rom since they want to add more features, improve performace, and other items based on developer and early backer feedback before the June launch in retailers.

honki24

Oct 8, 2010
I really would like to see ROM customization for the OUYA as I feel duped by the fact that it won't run my pre-purchased play store apps and games. There's got to be a way to have both. I want this thing to replace my PS3 as my entertainment center but I must have Google music working to do so. I also want to play my purchased games like NFS.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

AgentCherryColla

Jan 15, 2012
Carpentersville
The OUYA is simple to root. I think any generic ICS root method would work. Google Glasses was rooted by Jay Freeman just by a little tweaking, and a generic. ICS root method. I'm picking up on and plan to help as much as possible.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Reactions: hamzazxplorer

xDecapitator

Jun 1, 2012
California
The OUYA is simple to root. I think any generic ICS root method would work. Google Glasses was rooted by Jay Freeman just by a little tweaking, and a generic. ICS root method. I'm picking up on and plan to help as much as possible.

It was rooted quickly because there wasn't any locks on it. One of the developers at Google even said it's hardly considered rooting because there were no barriers to break through.

Paulenski

Mar 28, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Mine is sitting at home waiting for me right now, so I'll start looking into building a Custom ROM for it this weekend probably.

Just be careful, because of the lack of entering fastboot/recovery during bootup, you can easily soft brick it. I've already heard of someone messing with the system and bricking. Plus you can't really build much of an custom rom without kernel source, I wouldn't seeing an better stock but won't change much for right now.

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Just be careful, because of the lack of entering fastboot/recovery during bootup, you can easily soft brick it. I've already heard of someone messing with the system and bricking. Plus you can't really build much of an custom rom without kernel source, I wouldn't seeing an better stock but won't change much for right now.
Thanks for the concern Paulenski, not jumping into anything without looking ahead. I'm not talking about Cyanogenmod or anything as far as custom ROM's go. I just want to put together a flashable zip that will install working gapps, su, busybox, an alternate launcher, etc. A "start here" package. Not that it could be flashed yet, but I've contacted Koush and Teamwin about porting a custom recovery.

Reactions: moviecut

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Thanks for the concern Paulenski, not jumping into anything without looking ahead. I'm not talking about Cyanogenmod or anything as far as custom ROM's go. I just want to put together a flashable zip that will install working gapps, su, busybox, an alternate launcher, etc. A "start here" package. Not that it could be flashed yet, but I've contacted Koush and Teamwin about porting a custom recovery.

You get this working and there will definitly be a donation on the way.:)

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Not if it's a game that checks in with the Play Store before downloading additional data (like many racing games do).
Fair enough. Ammend that statement to say "It'll run most sideloaded apps, provided no additonal downloads/framework is required." I hadn't actually started playing with the console when I said that.

However, if you have an android phone you might be able to install it on there, download the extra data, and copy those files/folders over to the ouya. Might be worth a shot.

CptTwinkie

Sep 1, 2010
Prague
Fair enough. Ammend that statement to say "It'll run most sideloaded apps, provided no additonal downloads/framework is required." I hadn't actually started playing with the console when I said that.

However, if you have an android phone you might be able to install it on there, download the extra data, and copy those files/folders over to the ouya. Might be worth a shot.

MIGHT work...maybe. It would be easier if someone could get gapps running. That's pretty high up there on my OUYA wishlist

Sent from my Galaxy S3 [AT&T][CM10.1]

oOflyeyesOo

May 27, 2010
St louis
Oh I am so excited for some good customs ROM's. I am also not looking for CWM for a main ROM in general, but a amazingly beefed up Ouya layout, as its not as well as it should be visually and organized. And I know MANY will be using XBMC as a media center, I feel that should be a big part of the customs ROMs. I am loving mine so much already running the android version of XBMC. So excited for the future!!

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York

Works for a handful of games, GTA3 is the biggest. Does not work for most I've tried, including gameloft games and Carmageddon.

Unfortunately I did not keep notes when I began trying sideloading apps. I do know that some backups from Android Tuner worked when those from Titanium Backup did not. I also used ES file explorer for some backups as well.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Works for a handful of games, GTA3 is the biggest. Does not work for most I've tried, including gameloft games and Carmageddon.

Unfortunately I did not keep notes when I began trying sideloading apps. I do know that some backups from Android Tuner worked when those from Titanium Backup did not. I also used ES file explorer for some backups as well.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

For the games that did not work did you try a different BT gamepad

Androboyben

Nov 9, 2010
Sheffield
soft brick achived!!

yeah i kinda need the rom as my console froze (even power button didnt work) pulled the power and now its just stuck on the "(U)" boot logo, ive not made any mods to it, and only sideloaded 1 app, not too happy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mine is sitting at home waiting for me right now, so I'll start looking into building a Custom ROM for it this weekend probably.