[Was-A-ROM] TeamMaverick's Custom ROM - Info for developers like me

Search This thread

TeamMaverick

Aug 22, 2013
Christchurch
(NOTE to Mods: I know this is now not related to the ROM, but once this was a good thread, until ZTE messed up)
Fellow MediaTek developers alike, ZTE Grand X Pro enthusiasts, and people alike...
I have a message. There will NOT be a ROM released. I've tried everything, got different errors in CWM, bricked devices, and I don't wanna talk about that.
Once this was a very big dream of mine, but then, I was a very big fool. The Grand X Pro, in my outlook, will never get further from a simple, flashable, Stock ROM... But that is also the past, since all copies of it are long gone...
I have to put this in a list of things our device doesn't support:
- Modification for themes
- CyanogenMod porting (No kernel source anyway...)
- Extensive build.prop modding
- Aroma installer
- Literally ANYTHING that is cool about custom ROM's...

Things we can do:
- Change the boot.img
- Change the recovery.img
- Flash the stock ROM from FlashTool
- Create a Nandroid
- Do a factory reset in CWM without bricking the device
- Install TWRP (albeit unusable)
- Install a custom Bootanimation

We have made some progress, but it's not enough for custom ROM development.
I'd like to thank the following fellow XDA members for their support during the actual ROM developement:

- heraSK -- ROM Betatester
- kevinrus123 -- Developing Support
- kozimcfly -- Betatester
- kudzo -- Betatester & fellow developer
- NotShouting -- Helpful resources
- apeelme -- updater-script
- Tonny73 -- Development support
- marijan130 -- Betatester

Anyone that wants to can ask me for my dumped ROM via PM.
Everything else like: "Please restart the ROM developement" will be ignored.
This ROM is now officially dead. We have ZTE to blame for that. They are completely developer-unfriendly and they are breaking Google's main rule about Android: "Android is about freedom"
Where is the freedom in NOT sharing their ROM sources? FFS, we just wanted to port JB, that they, a huge company was too lazy to do.
This thread is not meant to flame on ZTE, just to warn fellow developers...

Update: 10th of October , 2014:

I've found some alternatives to the Grand X Pro for around the same price tag now:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini
Samsung Galaxy S4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
JiaYu G2S and G3 models
Sony Xperia U
Sony Xperia mini

Now what I recommend from here is especially Sony, because they are so dev-friendly that you can download the entire Google Android source from their developer site.

Also, in this post I announce my retirement from the Grand X Pro project, but still, you may feel free to contact me for support. The original stock ROM was taken down from Google Drive, along with it's components.
The flashtool is still available at the site: apeelme.blogspot.hu
The stock ROM *can* be optimized to an, albeit acceptable speed.
So here is the way how to make the phone faster:
1. Root it & download CWM . (TIP: Download 3 versions of CWM on your PC and compare their MD5 sums)
Downloads :
CWM 5.0 - safe build
CWM 6.0.1.0 - warmly recommended
2. Install CWM via MobileUncle tools
3. Wipe cache, and Dalvik cache
4. Install Nova Launcher and other eye candy

Last edited:

heraSK

Mar 11, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
yay, our first grand x pro rom!

so, I've tried downloading but it says I can't access file. not uploaded yet?

did you made it as an updater? I thought that before flashing new rom we're supposed to wipe everything, not just cache and dalwik cache...?

heraSK

Mar 11, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
okay, I have tested it. flashing went fine. first boot took few minutes, but that's normal for deodexed roms.

it booted fine but I got mixed results after it. I have wiped everything I found in CWM: factory reset, cache, dalwik cache, but somehow some of my apps from the stock rom have survived and I'm sure they weren't on the list in aroma. that could be CWM recovery's fault, since there's no option for wiping system. I'll try again with your twrp.

nova launcher was force closing but holo launcher from my stock rom survived so I could use the phone. oh, and you probably don't want to have all systems apps to choose from in aroma. someone might deselect something important. but, then again, we can always select all if not sure... ;)

so much for now, I'll install twrp and try again...

Reactions: TeamMaverick

fafi123

Jan 6, 2008
DO NOT FLASH ROM! Currently being fixed...

Sent from my Grand X Pro using xda premium
I was impatient and flash it before I see this message....now stuck on boot screen.I made a backup from CWM but it is on the internal storage and MD5 mismatch error shows up and cant fix it because I cant mount int. storage... :( please help

TeamMaverick

Aug 22, 2013
Christchurch
I was impatient and flash it before I see this message....now stuck on boot screen.I made a backup from CWM but it is on the internal storage and MD5 mismatch error shows up and cant fix it because I cant mount int. storage... :( please help

Ow... I'll release a UnbrickTool in a few hours or so... Please be patient and your phone will be fixed...

Reactions: fafi123

fafi123

Jan 6, 2008
No prob man! So it unbricked your phone? What recovery do you use? (trying to help a fellow XDA member to fix his Grand X Pro...)
Soo I flash it but it didnt worked.Im using CMW v5.5.0.4 by rua1.Something else is bothering me.. I download the rom from the phone(it is on the int. storage) and in CWM the name of the ROM is not "1-1betaupdate.zip" but the installation of the rom went fine ..no errors no nothing...and again stuck on boot screen :D :) and still cant mount int.storage.
(sorry for the bad english)

Edit: Ccan you upload the 1-1betaupdate.zip so I can try again flashing it again to be sure that the .Zip on my int.memory isnt broken despite successful installation?

Last edited:

marijan990

Oct 3, 2013
i have problem

in cwm says:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

i have install unbrick.zip file still same problem, in adb can't recognize my phone, wen i turn on my phone, i have ZTE logo and that's it, wont turn on!

TeamMaverick

Aug 22, 2013
Christchurch

fafi123

Jan 6, 2008
it's workig!!!!

Woohooo THANKS MAAAN after 3h of struggling on my PC(Win.XP) I try on my brothers PC (Win. 7) and it worked!!!!
I have problem with switching from Installer mode to USB storage mode..any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (NOTE to Mods: I know this is now not related to the ROM, but once this was a good thread, until ZTE messed up)
    Fellow MediaTek developers alike, ZTE Grand X Pro enthusiasts, and people alike...
    I have a message. There will NOT be a ROM released. I've tried everything, got different errors in CWM, bricked devices, and I don't wanna talk about that.
    Once this was a very big dream of mine, but then, I was a very big fool. The Grand X Pro, in my outlook, will never get further from a simple, flashable, Stock ROM... But that is also the past, since all copies of it are long gone...
    I have to put this in a list of things our device doesn't support:
    - Modification for themes
    - CyanogenMod porting (No kernel source anyway...)
    - Extensive build.prop modding
    - Aroma installer
    - Literally ANYTHING that is cool about custom ROM's...

Things we can do:
    - Change the boot.img
    - Change the recovery.img
    - Flash the stock ROM from FlashTool
    - Create a Nandroid
    - Do a factory reset in CWM without bricking the device
    - Install TWRP (albeit unusable)
    - Install a custom Bootanimation

We have made some progress, but it's not enough for custom ROM development.
    I'd like to thank the following fellow XDA members for their support during the actual ROM developement:

- heraSK -- ROM Betatester
    - kevinrus123 -- Developing Support
    - kozimcfly -- Betatester
    - kudzo -- Betatester & fellow developer
    - NotShouting -- Helpful resources
    - apeelme -- updater-script
    - Tonny73 -- Development support
    - marijan130 -- Betatester

Anyone that wants to can ask me for my dumped ROM via PM.
    Everything else like: "Please restart the ROM developement" will be ignored.
    This ROM is now officially dead. We have ZTE to blame for that. They are completely developer-unfriendly and they are breaking Google's main rule about Android: "Android is about freedom"
    Where is the freedom in NOT sharing their ROM sources? FFS, we just wanted to port JB, that they, a huge company was too lazy to do.
    This thread is not meant to flame on ZTE, just to warn fellow developers...

Update: 10th of October , 2014:

I've found some alternatives to the Grand X Pro for around the same price tag now:
    Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4
    JiaYu G2S and G3 models
    Sony Xperia U
    Sony Xperia mini

Now what I recommend from here is especially Sony, because they are so dev-friendly that you can download the entire Google Android source from their developer site.

Also, in this post I announce my retirement from the Grand X Pro project, but still, you may feel free to contact me for support. The original stock ROM was taken down from Google Drive, along with it's components.
    The flashtool is still available at the site: apeelme.blogspot.hu
    The stock ROM *can* be optimized to an, albeit acceptable speed.
    So here is the way how to make the phone faster:
    1. Root it & download CWM . (TIP: Download 3 versions of CWM on your PC and compare their MD5 sums)
    Downloads :
    CWM 5.0 - safe build
    CWM 6.0.1.0 - warmly recommended
    2. Install CWM via MobileUncle tools
    3. Wipe cache, and Dalvik cache
    4. Install Nova Launcher and other eye candy
    Update!

ROM is being tested, gave a status 7 in CWM , which is good , that means that the build was successful.
    In a few hours (or days xD) , the ROM will come out....
    Version is Alpha 1.0 , ICS , basic rooted ROM , deodexed , zipaligned, recommended for gamers and businessmen...
    Next update will have OTA updater, App Themer, Android Themer , BootBOX , Root Browser, MobileUncle and of course , Nova launcher Prime ( a small gift from me, removable..)
    OK peeps, the META-INF seems valid, let me make a test run and we'll see..
    Build no. 2 succeeded in Android Kitchen , works with SP FlashTool...
    So, this poll has ended, and people have decided....
    So may it be.....
    NOVA LAUNCHER
    OTA Updates seem to be a no-go because the META-INF cannot be ported to the Grand X Pro...

Plus, here is the changelog for the first Alpha version of the ROM... :cool:
    Code:
    Alpha 1.0 - Official Version - ICS
    - Zip-aligned .apk's (MORE PERFORMANCE, HELL YEA!)
    - Deodexed (theme your phone as you wish! Included themer application)
    - Pre-rooted and has busybox (all updated, using Chainfire's Superuser now , no more boring old superuser...)
    - Custom Boot animation...
    - Boot animation switcher (you can download CyanogenMod bootanimation and pretend you have CyanogenMod :D)
    - ROM Toolbox added
    - PimpMyROM added
    - LuckyPatcher added
    - ROM Manager added
    - Nano, bash and Apps2SD added (legacy)
    - Removed bloat files according to rua1's 'files_to_remove.txt' in MTKDroidTools.
    - Removed all the bloat ZTE added.
    - Major speed boost
    - Only a few things left to fix in next release...
    That's it for now , fingers crossed to get Recognized Developer... :fingers-crossed:
    sometimes it doesn't show error at all, it just finishes flashing (but to quickly to actually flash anything) saying it was successful but nothing gets flashed. then TeamMaverick tried to change something and there was a status 7 error, then one time there was message "flashing system" but again ended with error.

it's a mixed bag of results. TeamMaverick can probably explain it better. but it never actually flashed anything. flash usually takes some time, not 10-20 seconds, that's how i know, and the fact that the boot sequence never got past boot logo...

With my own build CWM (6.0.3.3) and this update-binary is no problem. (sorry for my english - device name Blade Super in Hungary)

What's in the script? Simple dd command? Or what?

(Make a test updater-script only with mount(s), and check in shell(adb) for correct working...if you use these :eek:)