Is this tablet recoverable? wants encryption password on boot

Search This thread

arsenic0

Jul 14, 2010
I have the possibility of buying a hdx on Craigslist for cheap that is listed as broken. But the error they get on booting the device is that it wants him to type in a password to decrypt storage. I have seen this issue searching Google but everyone says to factory reset, can you do that without being able to boot into android by holding various button combos like other Android phones? Or I think I can root it to fix it? From reading if the device at least powers on this is likely possible.

The owner has given up on it it seems and I can score it cheap but wanted your input if this is a known issue that can't be fixed, like if he failed to root it and is now trying to pawn it off.

Last edited:

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
I have the possibility of buying a hdx on Craigslist for cheap that is listed as broken. But the error they get on booting the device is that it wants him to type in a password to decrypt storage. I have seen this issue searching Google but everyone says to factory reset, can you do that without being able to boot into android by holding various button combos like other Android phones? Or I think I can root it to fix it? From reading if the device at least powers on this is likely possible.

The owner has given up on it it seems and I can score it cheap but wanted your input if this is a known issue that can't be fixed, like if he failed to root it and is now trying to pawn it off.

power + vol up to boot to recovery

iMJets

Sep 25, 2012
New York
if you can get one for cheap there a pretty good tablet, and if you can get one with lower firmware the better.

aldokribo

Feb 4, 2010
i have same issue with you. my kindle ask password to decrypt the device. i already tried to recover by holds uppower button + volume up but didn;t change anything. i don't know what to do

aziza06546

Jun 3, 2015
almost the same problem

I have the same boot encryption problem but i am the original owner of my HD 6
I've managed to enter safe mode on my device but this doesn't bypass boot encyption.
I'm waiting for a reply from amazon.
I'll post back when i do

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

amazon tech support helped with the problem.
you can factory reset by turning the device off and pressing on and volume up(booting to recovery mode)(only hold for 4 seconds)
the controls in recovery mode are as follows:
up/down = vol up/vol down
enter = power button(tap once)

this will wipe the device and send you back to first setup.

apparently any further info about this is to be sent directly to tech support on +44 203 356 6212 or to call using amazon.co.uk/clicktocall and request amazon tech support

Jun 27, 2015
I am getting a boot password prompt every time I boot the device, I did factory reset twice, and it still does not help, still getting a big lock on the screen and request for a boot password
Any help will be appreciated

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I am getting a boot password prompt every time I boot the device, I did factory reset twice, and it still does not help, still getting a big lock on the screen and request for a boot password
Any help will be appreciated
There is no recovery from this type of block if you don't know or have forgotten the password. You can reach out to Amazon to see if they have a code that will reset the device (unlikely).

Jun 27, 2015
There is no recovery from this type of block if you don't know or have forgotten the password. You can reach out to Amazon to see if they have a code that will reset the device (unlikely).

Thanks for the suggestion, I already reached out to Amazon 3 times. They have no idea, keep telling me Kindles do not have boot passwords
I never set it, and as I mentioned previously I did factory reset on the kindle. At this point this reset was performed 3 times, when the device boots I keep getting this boot password request

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, I already reached out to Amazon 3 times. They have no idea, keep telling me Kindles do not have boot passwords
I never set it, and as I mentioned previously I did factory reset on the kindle. At this point this reset was performed 3 times, when the device boots I keep getting this boot password request
Like most Android devices Kindles (FireOS) can encrypt the data partition which presents a password prompt upon power-up. According to Amazon a factory reset should wipe the device and thus remove the password. Either that is not working for you or the device has been 'locked' by some other app or potentially malware. You may want to post a picture of the screen you are receiving. Someone may recognize it and be able to provide further guidance.

Jun 27, 2015

Amazon are telling me now my Kindle was rooted, even though I explain that it was never connected to any network, and no apps were installed on it, just copied some book files from my PC using a USB cable. That's it. Isn't there some kind of re-format, other than reset to factory settings?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Amazon are telling me now my Kindle was rooted, even though I explain that it was never connected to any network, and no apps were installed on it, just copied some book files from my PC using a USB cable. That's it. Isn't there some kind of re-format, other than reset to factory settings?
If 'reset to factory' did not work then I'm afraid you are out of luck unless you can convince Amazon to offer an exchange. The device may have been rooted if purchased from a 3rd party. That does not explain why it suddenly 'locked' nor what tool/app is throwing up the password prompt.

Jun 27, 2015
If 'reset to factory' did not work then I'm afraid you are out of luck unless you can convince Amazon to offer an exchange. The device may have been rooted if purchased from a 3rd party. That does not explain why it suddenly 'locked' nor what tool/app is throwing up the password prompt.

The device was bought from Amazon, not a 3rd party, and it was working fine until my mom let it sit for several months without charging. Which should not have been a problem, but facts sho otherwise

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
The device was bought from Amazon, not a 3rd party, and it was working fine until my mom let it sit for several months without charging. Which should not have been a problem, but facts sho otherwise
You should pound on Amazon for a replacement - especially since they falsely accused you of having a rooted device (how do they know that?). I'm guessing the device may have received an 'over-the-air' upgrade while it was sitting idle but perhaps lacked sufficient charge to complete the update. Or the upgrade just went bad; rare but it happens.

Sorry this happened to your mom. Also regret there is not a (reasonable) way to recover the device and/or its contents.

Jun 27, 2015
You should pound on Amazon for a replacement - especially since they falsely accused you of having a rooted device (how do they know that?). I'm guessing the device may have received an 'over-the-air' upgrade while it was sitting idle but perhaps lacked sufficient charge to complete the update. Or the upgrade just went bad; rare but it happens.

Sorry this happened to your mom. Also regret there is not a (reasonable) way to recover the device and/or its contents.

Thanks for trying :)
I think it will be cheaper to buy a new kindle, new warranty, new features, etc. :)