[APP] Rotation Locker v1.4 - Landscape & Portrait lock

Search This thread

madmack

Hello everyone.

I wrote this app to allow a user to lock the screen rotation in landscape, portrait or auto. The app is very simple, when you click on it, you're faced with these three options.

Long press on Landscape if you want the app to run as a background service (only use this if landscape mode terminates on its own).

I searched on the Market for an app that would lock the screen in landscape mode and found only one paid app that does it but actually runs a service continuously in the background regardless of the orientation mode. This app is free and the background service is optional :)

so without further ado . . .

new1.png

new2.png

Change log:

v1.4.2 Dec 30 2013
+ Make apk available to google TV devices

v1.4 Nov 20 2012
+ Added a footer note to expose persistent mode better

v1.3 Mar 9 2012
+ Added a widget that will lock into whatever your current phone's orientaion is. Useful for reverse landscape for example

v1.2.2 Feb 23 2012
+ Short click on portrait/auto will behave like default android portrait/auto. If you want to enforce "auto" long press on it (that way, even the apps that don't go into landscape will).

v1.2.1 Feb 9 2012
+ Added ability to run a persistent background service for both Portrait and Auto modes.

v1.2 Jan 2 2012
+ Locale plugin.
+ Long press on search button to run app.

v1.1 Dec 29 2011
Added ability to long press on Landscape to enforce a background service. Only use this if landscape mode seems to exit suddenly and abruptly.

v1.0. Dec 27 2011
-Initial release

Attachments

• new2.png
    new2.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 10,775
  • device-2012-11-20-112714.png
    device-2012-11-20-112714.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,687
  • Rotation-Locker-v1.4.2.apk
    65.7 KB · Views: 24,829
Last edited:
B

B.Jay

Thank you very much for this app, madmack.
That's what I've been looking for since like forever ...

With this I can confirm it works almost perfectly with Android-x86 (2.3rc1); "almost" because sometimes an app starts in portrait mode instead of landscape (exiting the app and re-running your Rotation Locker usually fixes the problem).

At any rate, Android-x86 just became a whole lot more usable at least for me.

madmack

Thank you very much for this app, madmack.
That's what I've been looking for since like forever ...

With this I can confirm it works almost perfectly with Android-x86 (2.3rc1); "almost" because sometimes an app starts in portrait mode instead of landscape (exiting the app and re-running your Rotation Locker usually fixes the problem).

At any rate, Android-x86 just became a whole lot more usable at least for me.

awesome guys. thanks for your confirmation :)

I went ahead and released it in the market a few hours ago.

B.Jay, does your screen switch to portrait entirely when that happens or is it just localized to certain apps while the Home screen actually remains in landscape? I'm thinking I might have to implement a persistent service to be run in the background when running Landscape mode if landscape seems to suddenly switch off for the entire system.

K Dotty

Nov 28, 2010
London
Didn't work for me, tried with different lookscreen types (ring, slider and lenses) I'm using a cm7 based rom.

Sent by wiggling my big toe

B

B.Jay

B.Jay, does your screen switch to portrait entirely when that happens or is it just localized to certain apps while the Home screen actually remains in landscape? I'm thinking I might have to implement a persistent service to be run in the background when running Landscape mode if landscape seems to suddenly switch off for the entire system.

It's only the app that changes/reverts to portrait mode ... the launcher itself stays in landscape (replaced the stock Gingerbread launcher with LaucherPro, which works perfect in Android-x86). Like I said, when it happens that the app starts in portrait instead of landscape (Google Maps or AndroIRC for example - yes, I managed to successfully inject the Google Apps into Android-x86 to have the Market and stuff) it's sufficient to exit the app, re-run your Locker and start the app anew to have it in landscape mode.

Thanks to your app I'm now able to use my old Eee PC 900A as a Android powered netbook.

Anyway, I'm deeply satisfied with the way it works now, but if you're able to improve the app so it works as a service that keeps the screen orientation locked it would be plain awesome.

Wesku

Dec 2, 2010
Tampere
Works like a charm on SGS running CyanogenMod.
Thanks, been looking app like this, but none of them worked on my phone :p

warrenis1234

May 21, 2008
Brooklyn
this is amazing. you wanna know why this is amazing? because it even forces landscape for touchwiz. paint me shocked, thank you

krkeegan

Jun 5, 2010
Los Angeles
You are the man! Works perfectly. I looked for an app like months ago and found nothing. Not even paid.

I like the non-service aspect. If you have any interest in developing the app further to include a hook for tasker I would certainly pay $1 for that. Maybe as a premium version of the app? ATM it works fine just having tasker launch the app, but being able to set the orientation automatically in certain conditions without user input would be cool too.

Thanks again.

--Edit

The only bummer is I was previously able to lock the orientation in my launcher, Go Launcher, while still having autorotate in all other apps. It looks like this somehow overrides my launcher's ability to lock itself anymore. Kind of a bummer, but I can probably live with that.

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Works great on the Dell Streak 5/GB. Even the stubborn apps that want to run in portrait only or landscape only seem to be forced to the selected orientation

behappy

Mar 28, 2010
Thumps up. I love the simplicity and how smooth it is. Nice work and thanks!

dfine1966

Feb 25, 2008
Doesn't work in landscape mode for HTC EVO 3D with stock Gingerbread. Keeps trying to load, locks up phone. When I restart it loses all the settings

madmack

Doesn't work in landscape mode for HTC EVO 3D with stock Gingerbread. Keeps trying to load, locks up phone. When I restart it loses all the settings

there are no settings? at the current version, this app will not remember your last rotation setting on reboot. so you'll need to relaunch the app. might add that in future versions :)

I'm not sure why it's locking up. Does your launcher support landscape mode? if it doesn't then try another launcher that supports it and see how it works. Launcher Pro, Go Launcher and ADW are some of the popular ones and they all support landscape mode.

madmack

v1.1

thanks for your feedback guys.

if you like this app, please do leave a positive feedback on the market given how important the first few comments are :)

I've updated the OP to v1.1 which introduces a new menu that allows you to long press on Landscape to trigger a persistent background service. This should only be needed on small or low-end devices that are constantly starved of memory.
To disable that service, either click on the added item to the pull-down menu or relaunch the app and select portrait or auto.

You can obviously still run landscape mode without running a background service if you simply click on it without long pressing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

I wrote this app to allow a user to lock the screen rotation in landscape, portrait or auto. The app is very simple, when you click on it, you're faced with these three options.

Long press on Landscape if you want the app to run as a background service (only use this if landscape mode terminates on its own).

I searched on the Market for an app that would lock the screen in landscape mode and found only one paid app that does it but actually runs a service continuously in the background regardless of the orientation mode. This app is free and the background service is optional :)

so without further ado . . .

new1.png

new2.png

Change log:

v1.4.2 Dec 30 2013
    + Make apk available to google TV devices

v1.4 Nov 20 2012
    + Added a footer note to expose persistent mode better

v1.3 Mar 9 2012
    + Added a widget that will lock into whatever your current phone's orientaion is. Useful for reverse landscape for example

v1.2.2 Feb 23 2012
    + Short click on portrait/auto will behave like default android portrait/auto. If you want to enforce "auto" long press on it (that way, even the apps that don't go into landscape will).

v1.2.1 Feb 9 2012
    + Added ability to run a persistent background service for both Portrait and Auto modes.

v1.2 Jan 2 2012
    + Locale plugin.
    + Long press on search button to run app.

v1.1 Dec 29 2011
    Added ability to long press on Landscape to enforce a background service. Only use this if landscape mode seems to exit suddenly and abruptly.

v1.0. Dec 27 2011
    -Initial release
    Thanks for this great app, works great on Samsung Galaxy Note to keep it in landscape mode (with LauncherPro). =D

ok folks, 1.3 is out. changelog is in the OP. Enjoy !
    The developer of the app is trying to have as few options as possible. Minimal features.

He would have to add an option menu just for your option.. I highly doubt he is going to do it

that is correct.

this app is staying in this minimalist design.

I'm attaching what you're requested here anyhow amigo. it just won't make it to the main version or the market one for the reasons stated above ^^.

enjoy
    I'm interested in the same thing. The reason i like this app is because it will rotate the stock launcher to landscape when you pic "auto" on ICS. Theres no search button to toggle things with on the galaxy nexus, so an update for this device would be welcomed. If i pick auto the phone forgets it very quickly since it doesn't stay in memory.

i'll implement a long press for both portrait and auto. thanks for your suggestion guys.

Love the app man! will include in all my future roms if you dont mind.

One suggestion.. " Lock here " option. to lock it at any position. (upside-down landscape for example)

you sure can ! feel free to bundle it with any rom. thanks for asking :)

about the suggestion, I think I'm keeping the minimalist UI for the moment. I envisioned this thing as being so simple so it's staying that way for the moment. I got some emails from users wanting to have it in "reverse landscape" so yea.. decisions decisions :rolleyes:.

did you guys know that you can actually add a tasker task that flips Rotation Locker into an orientation, and then use Widgetsoid to add that permanently to your pull-down notification window ? I discovered that today and it's simply brilliant ! all you gotta do is simply pull down the menu, click on the custom buttons that you create and bingo, locking into landscape is now doable from anywhere for those of us without a search key to long press on.
    Confirmed working on the O2X. Thanks for releasing your app free mate. Really appreciate it. You deserve 5 stars... ;)