HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Who do i have to bl*w in HTC in order to get on screen buttons? Why do HTC refuses to implement onscreen buttons on their phones? they're so practical, they (and we) can remap them to their/our liking , and now they made the horrible decision to cut the multitasking button for good? because supposedly people dont use it? really HTC? you're stripping android of one of its best features? easy and almost instant switching between apps ? whatever people say, having to wait 2 more seconds to hold the back button to get multitask really makes an annoying difference

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
Multitasking is just a double tap away man!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
Why not go with on-screen buttons? So you can have a 1920x1080 screen instead of losing 200 pixels or so on one side.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Why not go with on-screen buttons? So you can have a 1920x1080 screen instead of losing 200 pixels or so on one side.

It's all in the flavor of the designer. I myself prefer this layout over android's on screen button.

And I must say if the HTC One had the on screen but I would have gone with Xperia ZL and never leaped to HTC One.

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
It's all in the flavor of the designer. I myself prefer this layout over android's on screen button.

And I must say if the HTC One had the on screen but I would have gone with Xperia ZL and never leaped to HTC One.

TBH I prefer physical capacitive buttons over pure software buttons. There are pro and contra for both of them - in the end it's a matter of taste - you get used to both of them.
What I really don't like are physical buttons like the home button on the Galaxy Line. They need to be implemented perfectly, like on the iPhone or they are a major nuisance.

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011

+1. I get to use gestures from bottom edge of the screen using apps if I have no software keys.

onlinejobwork

Aug 31, 2008
LONDON
OnePlus 8T

Hi for example Xperia Z got on screen button and 5" screen but 3-4 mm, onscreen button taking space unnecessary so practically 4.7" in HTC one screen screen got same usable screen area as 5" of Xperia Z, I got S3 atm and when I install custom rom which enable on screen button and than I realise that on screen button is waste of precious screen size, for better information see using compare tools side-by side and you will see almost there is not much advantage of 5" screen because of onscreen button wasting space and look like .3" screen look like black strip at bottom, I would also like to see if anyone can compare actual usable screen area of Z vs ONE and post here please

U

Last edited:

kalo88

Nov 21, 2012
I don't like the on screen software buttons, in many apps they remain visible ie: games... bit irritating.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
On screen buttons would be an immediate deal breaker for me. The Nexus 4 will be the last phone I ever buy with on screen buttons. I hate it, with a passion.

Thank you HTC for NOT using on-screen buttons.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
To solve this losing work space complain, they could make made a phone with 5" screen like the butterfly and still get 4.8" real state .

OK some of you don't like on screen buttons but are you actually saying you prefer to not have a multitasking button ? :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mouzaihem

Jan 15, 2008
Detroit
There is a multitask button my friend, you just double tap the home button and you get a slicker cleaner multitasking UI.

Sent from my EndeavorU using Tapatalk 2

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
No issue with multitasking. My real issue is how would we deal with games or apps that utilizes full screen window and requires the menu button. I don't think that 3dot menu would be available on games

fracture8

Mar 2, 2009
philadelphia
And the survey says.... It's clear that a small teeny tiny group of people actually feel like those on screen buttons that clearly take up real estate are some how cool or useful lol, low the person who started this forum Ctfu... Good day everyone

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
AW: HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

I couldn't care less about the missing button. All of the functionality is there. 1 day and you used to it. And from what i have seen, the double tap is extremely responsive.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

alioth

Oct 28, 2007
One reason I like capacitive buttons a lot is the posibility to use S2W.
When I have the phone on the table I use this all of the time with HOX+

No posibility to do this with on screen buttons.

CreepyDroid

Apr 19, 2012
No issue with multitasking. My real issue is how would we deal with games or apps that utilizes full screen window and requires the menu button. I don't think that 3dot menu would be available on games

You get an on-screen bar containing a 3 dots menu

Quadrant.jpg

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
For the last time: you can DISABLE THIS BAR by enabling long-press back for menu on the One.

CrazyTechnoBoy

Jul 10, 2010
Denver
I would much rather have a three button layout (the third one being a dedicated menu button), but this two button layout isn't preventing me from buying it in anyway. ;)

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who do i have to bl*w in HTC in order to get on screen buttons? Why do HTC refuses to implement onscreen buttons on their phones? they're so practical, they (and we) can remap them to their/our liking , and now they made the horrible decision to cut the multitasking button for good? because supposedly people dont use it? really HTC? you're stripping android of one of its best features? easy and almost instant switching between apps ? whatever people say, having to wait 2 more seconds to hold the back button to get multitask really makes an annoying difference
    Android should just adopt pie controls as an option.
    Thread cleaned

...from some troll. He'll not be back for some time ;).
    On screen buttons suck. Baffles me why someone would want to waste screen space like that.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Its not a waste of space, anyways your capacitive buttons will be occupying the space. Instead the screen can take the space which imo is far better. Also by a custom ROM (like pa) you can hide the buttons making the complete screen for use (which obviously can't be done with capacitive keys)

Sent from my One™ V using xda-developers-app
    lol at all the people saying on-screen buttons take space. Well you know capacitive buttons take space as well seriously are people that dumb?

I have suggested this solution before in other forums and I will say again. The BEST solution is to have a separate screen for navigation buttons. If you make the HTC one a 5" phone with on-screen buttons then its going to be wider than it is right now unless you make the screen even wider than 16:9 which wont make any sense. However if you give it a 4.7" screen AND a dedicated screen for buttons then you dont have to make it any wider. Sure it drives up costs a little bit but the flexibility you get in usage is well worth it.