[Q]Windows 8 and 8.1 dual boot issue?

Search This thread

rishu007

Jun 26, 2013
Hanumangarh jn.
i have a problem
i had windows 8.1 64-bit in my pc then after that i installed windows 8 32-bit in different partition after that when i reboot my pc i didn't get the dual boot option to choose between windows 8 and 8.1..my system automatically loads windows 8....

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Sounds like you didn't do the installation safely with regard to the old OS. The 64-bit one may have been using a 64-bit bootloader? In any case, you may have clobbered the boot partition of the old installation. You can try using bcdedit to add a boot entry for the old OS - it might still work - but you may need top use 64-bit Win8.1 recovery media instead (and doing so you risk clobbering the boot partition for the 32-bit install).

... Do I dare ask why somebody would *do* this? I mean, I could understand if you were installing Win7 or something, and even vaguely understand why you'd install 32-bit instead of 64-bit (though these days I pretty much exclusively use virtual machines for 32-bit systems) but why in the world install 32-bit Win8 on a 64-bit Win8.1 machine??