ROM flash from SD/MMC: Without needing 2nd device

Search This thread

tomal

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2006
Dhaka
Guy's,

Finally you can flash any rom to your device without help from the 2nd device. I believe it's a great news for them who is suffering from the broken USB connecor.

It's tested on my G3 device with my latest ROM's and other should work without problem.

Procedure:

1. Download the tool and unrar somewhere in your pc.
2. Decode the rom image (nk.nbf) using HTC64 tool and put it (nk.nba) under the "SD_Flash" directory.
3. Run the "SDFlash_G3.cmd" and follow instruction on the screen.

Please note, it's limited to G3 device only and I may add support for G4 device in future.

SD-ROM image tool:

http://vidmes.com/Uni/ROMs/Tomal/Tools/Ranju_SD_Flash.rar

!! IMPORTANT: Do it at your own risk. I'll not take any responsibility if you damage your device. !!

Cheers

markymanxxx

Jan 2, 2007
London
Great stuff.

I especially look forward to a G4 release.

My USB commector broke off the circuit board recently and was floating about inside the device for a while before I opened up the device and glued it back in position onto the circuitboard. It now works (the 5 little pins are connected) so I can charge the battery through it, but I don't really trust it to flash a firmware through.

Thankfully I'm already on the ROM I usually go back to (latest T-Mobile WM5) after playing around with WM6 and WM6.1.

Nice to see developments being made for those of us with handicapped uni's!!!

sev7en

Jul 10, 2006
www.fabriziodegni.com
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4
Ranju, as usual, you are the man!
I experienced the "direct flash" on a Mio A701 and it's really a great feature. Now I can't ask you anything more... ehm...
... I was kidding :p I'd like only the new build of your rom eheh

thanks!!!

martinbl

Sep 24, 2006
Zevenaar
www.paypal.com
I tried to flash using bluetooth (yeah, I was stupid) and since then it's hanging in bootloader mode.
The mini-USB connector broke before (that's why I was using BT) and now I finally thought I had a solution to get it working again.

However, when I follow your steps and reset (backlight + power + reset) it doesn't even seem to look at the SD-card; it just shows serial + v1.00 again.

Any ideas?

In SDimage it get's to only 3,21%, but's that's normal on a 2 gig card I presume?

Last edited:

martinbl

Sep 24, 2006
Zevenaar
www.paypal.com
what is the size of sd, 152mb?

I just edited my post :).
I used another card and that got only to 3,21% or something (2gig card) so I presumed that's normal because of the image size?

To be complete:
I tried to flash using bluetooth (yeah, I was stupid) and since then it's hanging in bootloader mode.
The mini-USB connector broke before (that's why I was using BT) and now I finally thought I had a solution to get it working again.

However, when I follow your steps and reset (backlight + power + reset) it doesn't even seem to look at the SD-card; it just shows serial + v1.00 again.

tomal

May 30, 2006
Dhaka
I just edited my post :).
I used another card and that got only to 3,21% or something (2gig card) so I presumed that's normal because of the image size?

To be complete:

Yes, it's normal.

Did you inserted the card to device before entering to bootloader?
Read and follow all the instructions carefully in the .cmd file.
For more info, read Htc Service manual of Universal.

martinbl

Sep 24, 2006
Zevenaar
www.paypal.com
Yes, it's normal.

Did you inserted the card to device before entering to bootloader?
Read and follow all the instructions carefully in the .cmd file.
For more info, read Htc Service manual of Universal.

I shall tell about all the steps I took:
- Easy.

2. Decode the rom image (nk.nbf) using HTC64 tool and put it (nk.nba) under the "SD_Flash" directory.
- I took your(?) "Ranju_v76_WM61_19209_19209_1_0_2", unrarred it and decoded it to nk.nba.

g3.bin and nk_sd_g3.bin are created.
After that, I put in my Dane-Elec 2 gig SD-card and format it to FAT32.
SDimage is opened and I select the FAT32 F: drive.
After that I push the "Import SD Image" button.
Fill in "i agree", click "ok" and "yes" (with "hex" unchecked).
There I choose bin files and select "nk_sd_g3."
I then click "Ignore", "yes" and "ignore" and it's starts writing.
At 3,21% I get the dump incomplete notification and click ok.

I then put the card in my Universal, press the light and power button and the reset pin.
For a second or so the v1.00 disapears and it comes back without doing/checking/reading anything.
I'm quit sure the SD-card should work because before I flashed using BT, it worked and I tested the same procedure with another card.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or why the Universal doesn't even seem to look for the SD-card?

hbahaie

Feb 25, 2004
I shall tell about all the steps I took:
- Easy.

- I took your(?) "Ranju_v76_WM61_19209_19209_1_0_2", unrarred it and decoded it to nk.nba.

g3.bin and nk_sd_g3.bin are created.
After that, I put in my Dane-Elec 2 gig SD-card and format it to FAT32.
SDimage is opened and I select the FAT32 F: drive.
After that I push the "Import SD Image" button.
Fill in "i agree", click "ok" and "yes" (with "hex" unchecked).
There I choose bin files and select "nk_sd_g3."
I then click "Ignore", "yes" and "ignore" and it's starts writing.
At 3,21% I get the dump incomplete notification and click ok.

I then put the card in my Universal, press the light and power button and the reset pin.
For a second or so the v1.00 disapears and it comes back without doing/checking/reading anything.
I'm quit sure the SD-card should work because before I flashed using BT, it worked and I tested the same procedure with another card.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or why the Universal doesn't even seem to look for the SD-card?

The same problem, I folowed all of the instructions as it is, but only serial 1.01 on the screen and no look for the image, i have tried with 2 SD cards, one 256 MB and the other is 512 MB, but there was no difference....
PLZ help

The same problem, I folowed all of the instructions as it is, but only serial 1.01 on the screen and no look for the image, i have tried with 2 SD cards, one 256 MB and the other is 512 MB, but there was no difference....
PLZ help
Yup, same problem here! I tried with a 512MB Toshiba SD card, previously formatted both to FAT(16) and FAT32. SDImage.exe runs up to 12.91% (FAT) or 12.93% (FAT32), with such card capacity. Same results: my Exec just sits there in booloader mode forever...

Cheers!
Carlos

tomal

May 30, 2006
Dhaka
all the steps are correct .
I'm sure root cause is under the header (g3.bin). it's a mmc header and I suppose there is a difference between sd & mmc header. I'll verify once I can arrange a sd card. alternatively someone can try it using a mmc card so that I can reach to a conclusion.

Top Liked Posts