[Q] Mounting trouble, bloatware removal only.

Search This thread

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Greetings everyone!

New *registered* user here! I've been frantically sifting through post after post on the forums all night hoping to get some help with an issue I am having on my Vibrant.

Goal:

Remove some bloatware ONLY, not looking to install any ROMs or modify the phone too much...just clean some annoying apps and icons off.

Phone Information:

Model SGH-T959
Firmware 2.2
Baseband T959UVKB5
Kernel 2.6.32.9
Build FROYO.UVKB5

I currently have the latest version of Java, Android SDK, and SuperOneClick installed.

Install directory of AndroidSDK:

C:\AndroidSDK

My method of failure:

Open SuperOneClick, Click "Root"

Start, Run, "CMD"

cd c:\AndroidSDK\tools

adb shell

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/st19/system

This is where it fails and I run into an endless loop of it telling me the proper usage of the "mount" command. I thought I had it at one point but when I typed: rm /system/AmazonMp3.apk all it did was tell me that it was a read-only file and that it couldn't be deleted.

Can someone help lead me in the right direction of what I am doing wrong? I rooted and removed all bloatware about a year ago but I just did an upgrade through MiniKies to the latest version of firmware and I can't seem to remember the process I went through that long ago to get it done right.

I apologize for possibly asking a question that has been asked numerous times but I just couldn't seem to get the wording right to get any helpful results in the search of the forums. Thank you so much for the time in reading this and the future help if any can be provided. Have a great night!!!

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It looks like you are in the wrong directory. Open a command prompt in

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools

Open the platform tools folder. Click on a blank space > hold down the shift key > hit right click > select open command window here. Then enter the commands:

adb devices "to check if your device is connected. also make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone.

adb remount

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system

rm -r /system/app/[AppName].apk

If you want a list of all your /system/apps enter this command

cd /system/app

ls *.apk

This is much easier if you download rom toolbox from the market. All you do is go to /system/app and delete whatever bloatware you dont want.
BUT BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DELETING SYSTEM APPS. ONLY DELETE WHAT YOU KNOW IS BLOATWARE OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET FC'S

good luck

Reactions: CScrivener

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Would I still need to follow the steps prior to that and use SuperOneClick to root the device or do I just skip that process and go straight to the cmd prompt?

Also, I followed a tutorial I found for installing the Android SDK that informed me to copy all the files from android-tools to the tools directory and use that instead but I don't know what the use in that is except for maybe a smaller directory name?

EDIT: I tried what you said with and with using SuperOneClick prior to the procedure and the cmd prompt displayed the following text:

*opened cmd promt in C:\AndroidSDK\tools (no files in platform-tools anymore)*

adb devices (it found my device connected)

adb remount (adb remount: no such file or directory exists)

The adb shell and su commands works fine BUT I still hit the endless loop of it trying to explain to me the "usage" of the mount command.

I will look into Rom toolbox as I'm trying to figure this out as well. Thank you.

Last edited:

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I strongly recommend you download root explorer or some similar root browser app. Of course though your phone must be rooted. Just try rom toolbox. It has its own root browser within the app along with other useful features. This is probably the easiest way to uninstall the bloatware in your case since you are having issues with adb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Thank you!

Okay, I have the suggested "rom toolbox" downloaded from the market and I will try to use that but SuperOneClick does not root the phone deep enough for rom toolbox to see the phone as rooted so...will the "updated.zip" method work for this instead?

I haven't tried it before but I am willing to give it a go if you think it's the best method. If this is the method you recommend, would you happen to have a link to the most recent or atleast most trusted updated.zip rooting method?

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you!

Okay, I have the suggested "rom toolbox" downloaded from the market and I will try to use that but SuperOneClick does not root the phone deep enough for rom toolbox to see the phone as rooted so...will the "updated.zip" method work for this instead?

I haven't tried it before but I am willing to give it a go if you think it's the best method. If this is the method you recommend, would you happen to have a link to the most recent or atleast most trusted updated.zip rooting method?

You can try rooting your phone using this toolbox.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=954509

If that does not work for you i will try and find the link to the "one click root program" i use all the time.

Here is an excellent guide to root.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=849028

Last edited:

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
So I downloaded the one click program you suggested and the program itself seems to bee pretty straight forward.

I connected phone to computer with debugging on. Opened program and hit one click root. It started doing it's thing...phone rebooted and went into recovery. I started to follow instructions up until I got to where it said install packages. When I clicked it, the phone said installation failed no such file our directory exists.

The phone is looking for the updated.zip file but none exists in the one click folder. There is a root.zip and an unroot.zip...do I need to rename one of them to proceed???

Thank you so much for all the help so far, I feel like I'm so close but just not there yet. You have been an incredible help!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
The phone is looking for the updated.zip file but none exists in the one click folder. There is a root.zip and an unroot.zip...do I need to rename one of them to proceed???

The way (Stock) Recovery works is if you are not "Install from SD" then it will look for the file labeled Update.zip. So you can rename only the Root.zip to Update.zip and make sure that is the only thing on your internal SD labeled that or with .zip Put the unroot.zip in a folder for now. Then try again.

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Alright, will give that a try when I get home. I thought I read that the program copied the update.zip file to the phone during it's process so I didn't want to do anything to work against that. I will rename one of the files, copy it to the phone and give the one click root another shot. Thank you!

Merio90

Dec 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Alright, will give that a try when I get home. I thought I read that the program copied the update.zip file to the phone during it's process so I didn't want to do anything to work against that. I will rename one of the files, copy it to the phone and give the one click root another shot. Thank you!

There is no need to rename anything. The program does it all for you. Play close attention to the first screen (green one) if it says update.zip copied successfully it will then reboot your phone to stock recovery. Once you are in stock recovery all you do is click reinstall packages. Keep clicking reinstall packages even if it reboots the first time. To prove my point mount your phone to your pc and check to see if the update.zip is copied onto the root of your into storage. If not well copy the update.zip from the last guide i suggested from above.

Also check to see if the superuser app is installed on your phone. The program also installs that along with the update.zip. If you have superuser then go to the market download rom manager so you could download CWM.

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Alright, so I tried it again once I got home. Didn't work BUT I did see that update.zip was installed into my phone. The sig verification failed, which means I need to change recovery versions to the one that skips sig verification correct?

I'll go search the forums for that since I remember seeing that a little while ago but that is the correct path I need to take at this point in time am I right?

Thank you so much! Big big help!

Woody

Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
You can pull the CWR from my signature. Same as before. Put it on your internal labeled update.zip, boot into recovery and and scroll down to Reinstall Packages. Hit it. It will cycle and probably come back to stock recovery. Hit Reinstall Packages again and the stock recovery will go from blue to green (CWR).

Side note, probably from there you will be able to install the Superuser update.zip. Just go to Install from SD card and find it and hit it. The reboot. Might not but the CWR instructions above shoudl work for you.

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Well I changed the recovery version using the file from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833423 and then used the OneClickRoot and was able to get the update installed (I think). The phone booted up normally, I noticed that SU Permissions was installed so I figure I am rooted correct? WRONG. Rom toolbox says I am not. Is there another way to verify? Should I reinstall Rom toolbox incase it's just bugging out on me?

So I tried using Rom Manager too. Looks as tho SU is not installed correctly, will have to try again I guess.

Cannot install CWR, tried and the recovery text stays blue even after 14 times of reinstalling packages...

This phone will be sent flying across the room sometime tonight I'm guessing. About to erase the entire thing and try starting from scratch again. (Start from Eclair and work my way up maybe)

Last edited:

Woody

Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
If you are willing to start from Eclair it would be soooo much easier that all this stuff.

Odin to stock, flash CWR from my signature, go from blue to green and then flash Fishman's Bionix and you are good to go. Simple and way easier than all this mess. Just download Fish's and put it on you SD card somewhere you'll remember. Once in green recovery just scroll to that ROM and flash it per OP.

We've just been trying to Root you since on your OP you said you didn't want to flash a custom ROM.

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Well...I'm still trying to avoid flashing Roms (I've upgraded through MiniKies and that's it).

I've only been trying to root just to clean bloatware off but it seems that I must be lacking the technical skills to follow instrcutions properly....nothing is cooperating and even after following all steps nothing wants to work like it should.

Grrrr! One last try to get CWR working before I lose my mind and need to take a break/walk away for a bit.

Last edited:

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Ok, so I'm currently back to stock Eclair (ew!!) and about to boot to recovery to install CWR. Wish me luck on that one....

Wooo, CWR up and running! Now I just have to work on a flash maybe or whatever steps were suggested next...I might try the ROM you suggested.

The ROM gets placed on external sdcard and installed from within CWR correct?

Do most ROMs remove bloatware and useless apps?

Last edited:

Woody

Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Yes and are pre-Rooted. Put the ROM.zip on either card. I have a folder that I use. Boot into recovery and get green recovery back. Go to install from SD, find the ROM and flash it per the OP instructions.

Bloat free, pre-Rooted and usually has Voodoo so you can get Voodoo Sound from the market and have a sonic ear-gasm.

CScrivener

Apr 6, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help! I installed the suggested ROM last night and I am very happy with the results thus far. It was alot easier than I thought it would be. Flashing a ROM was MUCH more simpler than the root only decision. Thank you again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks like you are in the wrong directory. Open a command prompt in

C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools

Open the platform tools folder. Click on a blank space > hold down the shift key > hit right click > select open command window here. Then enter the commands:

adb devices "to check if your device is connected. also make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone.

adb remount

adb shell

su

mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system

rm -r /system/app/[AppName].apk

If you want a list of all your /system/apps enter this command

cd /system/app

ls *.apk

This is much easier if you download rom toolbox from the market. All you do is go to /system/app and delete whatever bloatware you dont want.
    BUT BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DELETING SYSTEM APPS. ONLY DELETE WHAT YOU KNOW IS BLOATWARE OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET FC'S

good luck
    I strongly recommend you download root explorer or some similar root browser app. Of course though your phone must be rooted. Just try rom toolbox. It has its own root browser within the app along with other useful features. This is probably the easiest way to uninstall the bloatware in your case since you are having issues with adb.

Here is the program i use. Just remember to have usb debugging enabled on your phone. It really cant get any easier than this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739300

There is no need to rename anything. The program does it all for you. Play close attention to the first screen (green one) if it says update.zip copied successfully it will then reboot your phone to stock recovery. Once you are in stock recovery all you do is click reinstall packages. Keep clicking reinstall packages even if it reboots the first time. To prove my point mount your phone to your pc and check to see if the update.zip is copied onto the root of your into storage. If not well copy the update.zip from the last guide i suggested from above.

Also check to see if the superuser app is installed on your phone. The program also installs that along with the update.zip. If you have superuser then go to the market download rom manager so you could download CWM.

If you are willing to start from Eclair it would be soooo much easier that all this stuff.

Odin to stock, flash CWR from my signature, go from blue to green and then flash Fishman's Bionix and you are good to go. Simple and way easier than all this mess. Just download Fish's and put it on you SD card somewhere you'll remember. Once in green recovery just scroll to that ROM and flash it per OP.

We've just been trying to Root you since on your OP you said you didn't want to flash a custom ROM.