[Q] First thing to do with new G2?

Search This thread

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
Hey! Tomorrow I'll be receiving a new LG G2 and I'm wondering what's the first thing I have to do in order to root it.
I always used HTC and Moto devices so I have quite an experience in unlocking bootloaders, but in the guide for rooting I red here, your don't have to unlock the bootloader or anything like that in order to root it, is that right? Is any step I should do before trying to root?

Thanks for your help in advance!

matury

Jun 20, 2010
Miami
Hey! Tomorrow I'll be receiving a new LG G2 and I'm wondering what's the first thing I have to do in order to root it.
I always used HTC and Moto devices so I have quite an experience in unlocking bootloaders, but in the guide for rooting I red here, your don't have to unlock the bootloader or anything like that in order to root it, is that right? Is any step I should do before trying to root?

Hi, You have to know first what model and what version, KK? or JB?
After that, if is on KK use this Towelroot (just search forum)

All the credit goes to @geohot for amazing root by just an apk

1. Install apk
2. Make it rain
3. Phone will reboot
4. install Super SU from play store
5. Sit back and relax

For TWRP use this How To Install TWRP Recovery On LG G2 Running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat

Hope this helps;)

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
Hi, You have to know first what model and what version, KK? or JB?
After that, if is on KK use this Towelroot (just search forum)

All the credit goes to @geohot for amazing root by just an apk

1. Install apk
2. Make it rain
3. Phone will reboot
4. install Super SU from play store
5. Sit back and relax

For TWRP use this How To Install TWRP Recovery On LG G2 Running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat

Hope this helps;)

Hey, I have a D806 model. It's with JB and when I hit the manual update check it says something like "Device not registered yet".
What's best to do? First update and then root or the other way round?

Moppusan

May 14, 2014
Leola, PA
Google Pixel 7
Hey, I have a D806 model. It's with JB and when I hit the manual update check it says something like "Device not registered yet".
What's best to do? First update and then root or the other way round?

Well, first of all, after you root, NEVER take an OTA update or you'll brick. That being said, although the previous way mentioned is easier, I'd suggest getting used to adb and its miracles. Check here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869 for a guide on how to root with adb. Adb is very useful if you screw something up.

As for the order in which to do things, it's basically up to you. I believe the 806 is the same as the 802, so check that section out for stock ROMs and such, especially if you root first. It seems like you may have to update manually either way since you get an error while trying to OTA update.

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
Well, first of all, after you root, NEVER take an OTA update or you'll brick. That being said, although the previous way mentioned is easier, I'd suggest getting used to adb and its miracles. Check here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869 for a guide on how to root with adb. Adb is very useful if you screw something up.

As for the order in which to do things, it's basically up to you. I believe the 806 is the same as the 802, so check that section out for stock ROMs and such, especially if you root first. It seems like you may have to update manually either way since you get an error while trying to OTA update.

I know about adb and know how to use it. I wanted yo stay stock a little longer in case i have to take it back. Thanks a lot for your help!

Sent from my LG-D806 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Moppusan

May 14, 2014
Leola, PA
Google Pixel 7
I know about adb and know how to use it. I wanted yo stay stock a little longer in case i have to take it back. Thanks a lot for your help!

My pleasure ;) I'm actually really new to Android myself (got my first device in May) and it felt overwhelming at first but everyone on XDA and all the threads are so helpful.

I almost got a HTC One before deciding on the LG G2 and I just love it. Loooooooove it.

Reactions: ATOJAR

lauticol

Apr 11, 2010
Tucuman, Argentina
My pleasure ;) I'm actually really new to Android myself (got my first device in May) and it felt overwhelming at first but everyone on XDA and all the threads are so helpful.

I almost got a HTC One before deciding on the LG G2 and I just love it. Loooooooove it.

Thanks for the info! I have to say I miss the luxury feeling the HTC One has, but love the screen size of the G2!

Everything you need to root and install TWRP 2.7 > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715496

:good:

Hey, I've already rooted it using adb. I thought I'd be fine with some Xposed modules, but I couldn't find many for the G2 so I think I'll end up installing a custom ROM based on KK stock, but since I'm in Jelly Bean I don't know how to do this (read somewhere I should flash a baseband of KK or somethings like that and got really scared haha)
Hope you can help me!

EDIT: Downloaded the Kitkat baseband and CloudyG3 ROM. I don't have TWRP because I can't find the file for D806. I'd appreciate if someone could guide me to the right direction!

Last edited:

CHlCKEN

Oct 17, 2013

Fire up the camera it's pretty solid and takes good photos outside

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.