Best replacement launcher for Note

Search This thread

UncleManuel

Mar 1, 2010
Bamberg
A couple of days ago I tried SPB Shell 3D again and it works surprisingly fine! The launcher itself runs smoothly, the only lags are coming from the ROM itself (JB 4.1.2). Battery drain is superb: 10mA in standby (5mA in flightmode). No hickups or major bugs so far... :good:

But it has to be clearly said: The 3D launchers are toys for optical pleasure, there are more practical launchers out there (f.e. Nova launcher)... ;)

godmakarand

Oct 29, 2009
Pune
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think there are three kinds of launchers. First enhancement launchers, then 3d launchers and some built totally on creative new concept. For me they represent business wear, party wear and Holiday wear. Apex, nova, adw give you most wanted customisation denied in stock launcher. But they keep basic functionality same. Most of them will give you stability, lesser memory dependency and lower battery drain. My experience of apex and nova is very good. So they are very good for day to day use, like business wear. Launchers like tsf shell provide you with a complete new experience and truly use phone capabilities to maximum. But most of these launchers in there quest of providing 3d experience don't have very basic requirements. They are a treat, but not for everyday use. Launchers like sslauncher and atom will stretch creativity in a totally different environment and they provide you with a pleasing concept of novelty with complete control.
Its good to have steady one in each category installed. For regular use, business wear, I use apex and nova. For party wear, showing off at social occasions I use tsf shell. And on holidays and other occasions I use sslauncher. Seems working for me.
Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Reactions: Jayant2204

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
I'm on ICS and my installation of nova doesn't retain the theme after a reboot. Does someone face this issue?

Criskelo 4.04 ICS LRK v11.2, LRK Modem, speedmod k3-15 kernel, Carrier: AT&T (US)

godmakarand

Oct 29, 2009
Pune
OnePlus 9 Pro
From the number of downloads, go launcher is on number one, adw on two, nova, Holo and Regina 3d on third, apex on fourth and tsf and next, last. Without considering other launchers.

warfareonly

Dec 20, 2011
Mumbai
From the number of downloads, go launcher is on number one, adw on two, nova, Holo and Regina 3d on third, apex on fourth and tsf and next, last. Without considering other launchers.

Go launcher is first because nova and apex are available only on ICS and above.
Adw for same reason. At least that's what I think. Tsf and next deserve that position.

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
Have you tried setting it as default launcher, and selecting aggressive desktop in nova settings?

It's already the default launcher. I haven't tried the aggressive setting, and I will, but are you and others not facing this issue at all? It would be good to find out what's causing it.

Criskelo 4.04 ICS LRK v11.2, LRK Modem, speedmod k3-15 kernel, Carrier: AT&T (US)

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
It's already the default launcher. I haven't tried the aggressive setting, and I will, but are you and others not facing this issue at all? It would be good to find out what's causing it.

I tried the aggressive settings. Nova Launcher does not retain the icons after a reboot. Are there any more suggestions? Also, how do I stop Nova from creating icons on the screen after installing an app?

shintenkenX

Feb 9, 2013
Flashed my Gnote w/ Asylum CM10.1, built in Nova launcher is ok but I tried Next launcher 3D and was more impressed, snappier, smoother and 99% lag free, plus I like the random effects :D

Last edited:

godmakarand

Oct 29, 2009
Pune
OnePlus 9 Pro
SWOT Analysis TSF Shell

SWOT Analysis TSF lauancher
(Tried on galaxy note N7000)
Strengths - first and foremost is its rendering. I think this is the only launcher other than Atom which uses full pixel capacity of Note. At least it makes you believe this. Somehow the same widgets and apps placed on TSF home screen come out better than all other launchers. It's another amazing property is grid less home screen, which still allows you to have some semblance of grid because of its icon arranger. Which I think is unique to this launcher. Grid less home screen allows nicer arrangement for some contacts widgets. In all other launchers they resize to show half people tiles. Only in TSF is it possible to arrange them to show in perfect combination.
It's another strength is its vertical sidebar. This makes things a lot easier. And, well, adds class to the whole experience. TSF gives you a feeling that somehow the developers have understood the touch very well. Touch and gestures are used beautifully to control the home screen, folders and app arranger. It's lasso mode is fantastic and becomes a habit. I inadvertently keep looking for the same in all other launchers, just to find that it's not available. Transporting apps and widgets from one screen to another is very simple. This also becomes a habit after some use. There are many app drawer transitions and all of them work amazingly. The animation is fantastic. I am not using many of the widgets and other pinups, as they keep on hogging the battery and RAM. It is simply great as a style statement and makes you standout in the otherwise ordinary launcher market.
Weakness - hmmm... There are many. One is the price tag. But this is altogether developers domain. And Inspite of steep price I have bought it. So what the hell. It's only important before you tap the buy button. After that all launchers price is same. I was frustrated over not being able to arrange my apps in separate tabs in app drawer. Which I use extensively for organisation. And I have found the same pretty useful. That is one of the major reasons for going back to Nova, Apex.
Another trouble is that there are no options for home screen transitions. There is only one method of simple slide with vibrating icons. A after some time I was bored by the same. Surely, when so many options are provided for app drawer, it should not be too difficult to provide some for home screen transitions.
Another major reason for returning to Nova, was meagrely support for third party widgets. I find that frustrating. Sometimes I take great pains to set up my home screens, and when you change the launchers you find that most favourite things are missing as they are not supported.
There is no autorotate mode. And I suggest not to try the landscape mode of TSF launcher. It's horrible. After setting up my home screens in portrait mode, I just tried landscape. After using other launchers one just assumes to get things done in correct manner when orientation is changed. But this launcher fumbles badly. Widgets leave their place, they overlap, and you have to spend a lot of time just searching them and getting them back to their correct position. And then again the nightmare of rotating everything back to portrait. It's horrible. One other aspect that I found was, this launcher was keeping the phone awake and hence using CPU a lot more. Resultant battery loss was evident. But the same may have been caused by some widget I used. I will try to troubleshoot the same later. There are very few options available for gestures. In nova I have set it up for recent apps to show up when I slide up. This unique operation is only possible in nova and in no other launcher is it possible.
Opportunities - just imagine how beautiful it would be to arrange apps along a path, all automatically rotated towards its Center of gravity. An updated version of app arranger perhaps, but it needs just one swipe of hand and all the apps are arranged along one smooth curve. That will be nice. Currently it takes a lot of efforts to place and rotate the apps manually. Then again the placement and rotation is not so correct and the whole effect is lost. What otherwise would have looked good starts looking shabby. All the weaknesses are opportunities actually, but in addition to all of them this one addition will be extremely nice. And at this price it's reasonable to expect this.
Threats - none really other than extremely stable and more reasonably priced launchers, which perform great. As far as 3d launchers are concerned there are no threats.
I hope this helps members here. I have been trying many launchers lately and I will try and keep on posting analysis of other launchers as well.

Reactions: hanifh

eyeoncomputers

May 19, 2012
+1 for Apex launcher.

I like the stock UI feel and it has the option to cache the launcher in the memory, so there is no lag when using it or when returning to the launcher from an app or game.

_terror_

Jul 19, 2011
Smart Home, or smart launcher.. don't really remember haha. It's very clean and fast. clean home screen without any icons, then just swipe to the right from the left side of the screen to bring up the menu. Supports both landscape and portrait. I love it.

Reactions: TheNoticer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Go Launcher Ex is possibly the finest.
    ADW EX all the way!

I used it in this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JyfrD4VrHY :D
    Yes..but I found the icons is abit "shrunk" as compared to other launchers...Is there a way to increase the size of the icons?
    Regards..
    For some reason, SPB Shell 3D defaults to tablet mode on the Note. That's why the icons and widgets were so small. Once you change to the smartphone interface in "Experimental Settings," everything will become normal-sized.

SPB Shell really shows off the power of the Note. I had to use Launcher Pro with my Dell Streak because it just wasn't able to handle SPB Shell.
    SSLauncher looks pretty cool...but it's really hideous looking, unless you have templates/themes to go with it...and I don't really see much available. It's a shame too, because it has a very good setup.

It's only as hideous as you want to make it look - way more configerable than go launcher, and faster and smoother. I've got gragically intense live wallpapers running, lots of widgets and about 7 screens, and it still zips along. Golauncher and ADW would chug along.
    for me, SPB Shell 3D is the best. I made a video "gnote running spb shell 3d in table mode"