amoled burnin

Search This thread

Sysiphus1981

Aug 2, 2010
Ok, i own my galaxy about 5 months. I turned the backlight to 0% in andromax, started the xda app and saw my battery, signal indicator and time as a shadow at the brown xda loadscreen. brightness was always set to auto.
I know this effect on plasma tvs, but with amoled, shouldn't be possible by design.
any thoughts are welcome

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

cs42

Oct 4, 2010
It's usual degradation of OLEDs. As the statusbar is quite static those pixels that are always light degrade faster than pixels than other ("not so static") pixels.

Now the more degraded pixels are darker on the same voltage levels and this can be seen when the statusbar is hidden.

That's one of the disadvantages of OLEDs currently.

kekiko

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, i own my galaxy about 5 months. I turned the backlight to 0% in andromax, started the xda app and saw my battery, signal indicator and time as a shadow at the brown xda loadscreen. brightness was always set to auto.
I know this effect on plasma tvs, but with amoled, shouldn't be possible by design.
any thoughts are welcome

Try rebooting your phone, then in the keypad dial *#0*# and test the screen with the options there check if there is any error in colour reproduction. Or test with images created with paint with only a single colour paint and test it with the screen on galaxy s.
If you observe any colour out of place or not uniform throughout, it might due to hardware issue of the amoled screen.

Hope this helps:)

Sysiphus1981

Aug 2, 2010
checked via sgs tools secret codes (the code from above) lcdtest. degration is there for green and blue, hard to see in red.
will test some disco flash app, maybe it will get better like with plasma panels.
all in all, it is only annoying and the display will get damaged by design. I wonder, if there is a theme for the bar with less contrast grafics, like most tvstation did with there stationsymbol.

mengsuan

Aug 15, 2008
mengsuan.blogspot.com
The blue pixel organic compound of AMOLED will degrade the quickest. That's the reason these phones are programmed to be more blueish when new, so that as it degrades, the blue should still be visible until the screen dies.

Reactions: ameypg
I own my SGS I9000 now since the 25th of June and i don't have that problem, how long is your total amount of Screen on time? I think by intensive use my approx. Screen on time per day is about 2 h. 6 Months are 180 days a 2h are 360h. Industrial Keys for Control Panels with OLED Displays have a average lifetime of 15000h, newer one 30000h.
I don't knew the lifetime for Samsungs AMOLED Screens but i guess it sould be around 10 to 15k hours. So i would contact seller, or samsung service about that.
Regards Christopher

kempas

Aug 12, 2008
In the UK you're covered by the Sale of Goods Act - the phone should be expected to last a good 5 years or so. I didn't agree to anything about a failing screen so if it doesn't last an appropriate time then I'll be expecting a replacement screen.

mengsuan

Aug 15, 2008
mengsuan.blogspot.com
You know what? I went to check my screen under white, red, blue and green; I have some burn in for the battery icon as well. Lol.

To avoid more damage, I will be using the device in varying orientation.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I wonder how fast the SAMOLED will die if its used as a deskstand for 8hrs / day

hydrouk

Oct 6, 2010
In the UK you're covered by the Sale of Goods Act - the phone should be expected to last a good 5 years or so. I didn't agree to anything about a failing screen so if it doesn't last an appropriate time then I'll be expecting a replacement screen.

UK law says a product is expected to last 12 months however Samsung do have a 24 month warranty on this product which is nice. If i was you kempas i would have that repaired (screen replacement) as it's completely free except for the time it takes.
Samsung Warranty Information

Just remember to flash back a factory firmware before you send it to a repair centre, custom/modified firmware voids your warranty in any country.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I've got my phone for about 4 months, everyone else I know can see a visible silhouette on the AM/PM symbol with a blue/white image displayed on the screen.

I guess in a year's time its gonna be completely screen burned.. would this mean that SAMOLED is pretty much in infancty/trial stage?

Maddmatt

Aug 10, 2010
I turned the backlight to 0% in andromax,

There is no backlight on AMOLED and SAMOLED screens.

I wonder how fast the SAMOLED will die if its used as a deskstand for 8hrs / day

Pretty damn quickly. Well it wont die, but burn-in will set in and the screen brightness will degrade.

Although if you use an app like alarm clock Plus it shouldn't be a problem. When it goes into screensaver mode it keeps the background black and only uses a small portion of the screen to display the time and date. It also moves the time and date around to prevent burn-in.
I use it at night when my phone is charging. The black pixels do emit a tiny amount of light but that shouldn't do any harm.

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
I've had my my SGS for about 4 months, everyone else I know can see a visible silhouette on the AM/PM symbol with a blue/white image displayed on the screen.

I've had phone for 6mths. Most of the time on 0% brightness. I never noticed it before but after reading your post I noticed the AM/PM burn in VERY VERY slightly (only on pure blue background)

From now on I'm using 24hrs clock format LOL.

Let's face it though guys, u can't keep a perfect screen forever. I even have a single stuck pixel but I learned to live with it. (1 pixel on a 480x800 screen is fairly unnoticeable, especially if it's a good colour).

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
It was not noticable till i read about this thread, i hate knowing things like this! hahah

Anyway we can fix the burn in ?

EDIT:

The 24hr format barely helps since theres already a very faint image of the numbers burning in.

Im guessing after a yr of usage the screen burn will be very obvious... with this said im having 2nd thoughts of getting another AMOLED based screen haha

Last edited:

iammodo

Mar 12, 2008
hell
to fix LCD TV's you flush with white. so leave a pure white screen running over night. this kinda resets the crystals.
worth a try with the phone also with the galaxy s you need to have 8 dead pixels to change the screen so if affected area is over 8 pixel should be fine.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
The AM/PM sign is displayed by a white pixel so Im not sure displaying a white color overnight can help fix the issue.

Having the screen replaced is not an option here in where I live, its gonna take over 60-75 days for them just to replace the screen and chances are it will be a refurb screen or they will just outright refuse replacement since its a burn in.

The affected area is probably more than 8 pixels.

iammodo

Mar 12, 2008
hell
it resets the crystals so should work. worth a try if someone has a burn

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
it resets the crystals so should work. worth a try if someone has a burn

The AM/PM is displayed with a white color by default, so how can displaying a a full white screen fix/reset the image burn ?

btw the image burn is a faint black.

Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Im also guessing with the GB update they removed the AM/PM so help prevent screen burn and prolong the intitial burn instead of 4 months to probably 8 or 12.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The blue pixel organic compound of AMOLED will degrade the quickest. That's the reason these phones are programmed to be more blueish when new, so that as it degrades, the blue should still be visible until the screen dies.
    I don't think its that big of a deal.
    I also see a slight burn in (all blue) where the time is displayed on the notification bar.
    But seriously I think more than 90% in this thread including myself wouldn't have recognized it, if they hadn't read about it here.

(Does anyone see a burn in in normal use looking at pictures or playing games ?? Probably not!)
    Just been testing this with my SGS.

Only on the blue test though.

Funny thing is i can see my ex's name from the SMS app burnt into the screen haha