[Q] Bluetooth issue

Search This thread

kappen

May 1, 2011
I thought I posted this but I can't find it so if its a dupe.. sorry

I had previously paired my HTC M8 to my car and it was working great (better than my S4 ever worked). I had to take my car in for repairs and got a loaner for a few days. In an attempt to get my phone to pair to the loaner I accidentally deleted my cars profile on my phone. I can not get the my car and phone to pair back up. I put the car into pairing mode and tell the phone to search for devices. When the car pops up on the phone, I click it. Almost immediately the car says pairing failed and the phone says the pin number was incorrect. There is NO profile on the phone for the car, its almost like it didn't delete all of the data and is trying to use it to connect to the car. I remember a bug like this a few years back and it required you to root the phone and delete the list of devices the phone had discovered. I haven't rooted yet and I'm also not looking forward to a factory wipe.

Does anybody have and ideas on what can be done within the bounds of an unrooted phone?

Also and this might make my decision to root easier. Its been a while since I used sense, Is there still not a way to get the launcher to rotate into landscape when you hold the phone in landscape?? Is there a custom sense ROM that allows you to do this that keeps blink (I decided to force myself to use it :) )

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Is there a profile for the phone on the car? If so, delete it and start from scratch. Also, try common pairing codes like 0000 or 1234.

munraf

May 24, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I thought I posted this but I can't find it so if its a dupe.. sorry

I had previously paired my HTC M8 to my car and it was working great (better than my S4 ever worked). I had to take my car in for repairs and got a loaner for a few days. In an attempt to get my phone to pair to the loaner I accidentally deleted my cars profile on my phone. I can not get the my car and phone to pair back up. I put the car into pairing mode and tell the phone to search for devices. When the car pops up on the phone, I click it. Almost immediately the car says pairing failed and the phone says the pin number was incorrect. There is NO profile on the phone for the car, its almost like it didn't delete all of the data and is trying to use it to connect to the car. I remember a bug like this a few years back and it required you to root the phone and delete the list of devices the phone had discovered. I haven't rooted yet and I'm also not looking forward to a factory wipe.

Does anybody have and ideas on what can be done within the bounds of an unrooted phone?

Also and this might make my decision to root easier. Its been a while since I used sense, Is there still not a way to get the launcher to rotate into landscape when you hold the phone in landscape?? Is there a custom sense ROM that allows you to do this that keeps blink (I decided to force myself to use it :) )

Make sure you have the advanced setting of "allow data transfer over bluetooth" or something enabled. Without this checked off I had the same problem as you. I think the setting is located in the bluetooth device listing when you try to pair the phone.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
What car model, year, etc.? Assuming its a factory head unit, otherwise what brand/model head unit? And if its a factory head unit, do you happen to know who actually manufactures it?

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth standard is not nearly as "standard" as you would hope. The sheer number of different devices and accessories made by different manufacturers means compatibility issues are fairly common; and also makes it difficult to troubleshoot such connection issues.

Try to delete the device from the car head unit, as previously mentioned (if you haven't already). Otherwide, try to see if your head unit has a way to reset or re-initialize the system. Just deleting the profile for the phone may not be enough. Such is the case with my 2012 Subaru Impreza head unit (made by Kenwood, from what I understand). Just deleting the phone's profile and re-pairing causes issues (phone will not auto reconnect whenever the car is started, need to toggle Bluetooth off and on again to connect). But re-initializing the system on the head unit (then re-pairing the phone) fixes this. Unfortunately, this is completely in-obvious and not well documented. The only way I found out about this is from a XDA member that happens to work at a Subaru dealer and happens to be there "tech guy".

Last edited: