[Q] USB Tethering between TAB (P7300) and Smartphone (I9003)??

Search This thread

HairyScot

Jan 30, 2011
Auckland
I have a Galaxy GT-I9003 phone and a GT-P7300 tablet.
Both devices support tethering to a PC via USB but, according to customer care at Samsung NZ, it is not possible to tether the phone to the tablet (or vice versa) with USB, only via wireless or Bluetooth.
I find this a bit strange.
Any thoughts??

I looked around for a cable to connect the two devices so that I could test this, but it looks like Samsung does not supply such a cable.
It may be possible to rig a cable using the cables supplied with the devices and a USB adapter??

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
doesn't it strike you that your phone has to be in USB host mode while your tablet as USB client?
That alone may be a feat to achieve, cabling comes later.

Reactions: HairyScot

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
for example, your PC USB ports are host ports. You can connect devices to it and the OS will see the device and use it.
The port in your phone/tablet is usually a client. You only plug it so that the PC can see it.
Having said that, Galaxy Tab 10" has a USB host port function, and you can plug a mass storage to it, a mouse, or a keyboard, I think.
Some of the cheap tablets even allow you to plug a USB 3G dongle modem to it.

Now, whether your GT-I9003 has host port function, I don't know.

Reactions: HairyScot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    doesn't it strike you that your phone has to be in USB host mode while your tablet as USB client?
    That alone may be a feat to achieve, cabling comes later.
    for example, your PC USB ports are host ports. You can connect devices to it and the OS will see the device and use it.
    The port in your phone/tablet is usually a client. You only plug it so that the PC can see it.
    Having said that, Galaxy Tab 10" has a USB host port function, and you can plug a mass storage to it, a mouse, or a keyboard, I think.
    Some of the cheap tablets even allow you to plug a USB 3G dongle modem to it.

Now, whether your GT-I9003 has host port function, I don't know.