[Q] Cyanogenmod 11 battery issues

Search This thread

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
Since i switched to Maclaw's CM 11 about a month ago and i had no trouble with the phone untill i updated to version 3/8 and the versions after that..the battery gets drained fast even when the phone is always underclocked to 200 MHz which never made an issue for me in terms of being a bit slow.
It used to drop just 1% every 15 min with heavy data use..a lot of the time it even lasted more than that! Now drops 1% every 5 min or less with the same heavy data use!!!

What went wrong?

GXGOW

Apr 4, 2012
East Flanders Best Flanders
It's just CM 11. Remember, it's still under heavy development, so it's not 100% yet. Don't worry, they'll get it fixed.

Sent from Tapatalk on my GT-I8190 running MaclawStudio's Carbon 4.4.2

Reactions: liongame

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
It's just CM 11. Remember, it's still under heavy development, so it's not 100% yet. Don't worry, they'll get it fixed.

I do hope they do.
Does Carbon has that battery drain problem too or is more stable than CM?

larscn

Aug 3, 2011
I have the same problem, but haven't tracked down what it is that that drains the battery other than Android system.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
My battery lasts the whole day with moderate use.

I think i'm gonna give Carbon a go if the problem continues .

I have the same problem, but haven't tracked down what it is that that drains the battery other than Android system.

Yeah but something changed after that 3/25 version. I've updated to the latest version yesterday and will put it under test today; hopefully the problem will be gone.

larscn

Aug 3, 2011
would be cool to hear if carbon made a chance then

Got a lot better with Carbon without doing any more scientific research into what was eating my battery. If you still have CM installed, maybe a simple "top -m 10" in an adb shell will give a clue to what the power drain is. (I'm new to adb and forget how easy it is can be to have a linux shell on my phone. :silly:)

Reactions: Aronuser

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Got a lot better with Carbon without doing any more scientific research into what was eating my battery. If you still have CM installed, maybe a simple "top -m 10" in an adb shell will give a clue to what the power drain is. (I'm new to adb and forget how easy it is can be to have a linux shell on my phone. :silly:)

hey thank you so far, i just got CM 2 days and i'm not sure about the battery drain so far. but if you found out what it was at you, please tell me. ah and btw. i heard skype has an issue with it, do you have it installed?

also: whats the differencte of CARBON from CM?

/edit: I tried the parameter, and it says 94% sorta is "system server" is this normal?

Last edited:

demonijum

Mar 16, 2014
hey thank you so far, i just got CM 2 days and i'm not sure about the battery drain so far. but if you found out what it was at you, please tell me. ah and btw. i heard skype has an issue with it, do you have it installed?

/edit: I tried the parameter, and it says 94% sorta is "system server" is this normal?

I got problem with battery also with cm11. Drain so fast. I installed carbin, its a bit better. But also I order new battery (2450mh) because i think my old one is gonna die

Reactions: Aronuser

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Since i switched to Maclaw's CM 11 about a month ago and i had no trouble with the phone untill i updated to version 3/8 and the versions after that..the battery gets drained fast even when the phone is always underclocked to 200 MHz which never made an issue for me in terms of being a bit slow.
It used to drop just 1% every 15 min with heavy data use..a lot of the time it even lasted more than that! Now drops 1% every 5 min or less with the same heavy data use!!!

What went wrong?

Hey all looks like i found a way!

check this, i just made a solution thread about it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51278758

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
So i installed Carbon and left it for 2 days and the battery was better but then i flashed CM back and the problem was still there. So i flashed the Stock rom back, rooted the phone then installed CM...at first everything seems back to normal but later that day the battery little started draining faster!
I thought that maybe coz i disabled/froze some system and built in apps that it what caused the problem but now i made sure i didnt disable any app, only force stop some non system appsm j and found the battery still draining!m

I have only 4 things running in my "Running apps" section:

1- Settings
2- Greenify
3- Setcpu (underclocked to 200)
4- Smart keyboard trial

THAT'S ALL!!

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
So i installed Carbon and left it for 2 days and the battery was better but then i flashed CM back and the problem was still there. So i flashed the Stock rom back, rooted the phone then installed CM...at first everything seems back to normal but later that day the battery little started draining faster!
I thought that maybe coz i disabled/froze some system and built in apps that it what caused the problem but now i made sure i didnt disable any app, only force stop some non system appsm j and found the battery still draining!m

I have only 4 things running in my "Running apps" section:

1- Settings
2- Greenify
3- Setcpu (underclocked to 200)
4- Smart keyboard trial

THAT'S ALL!!

i don't know about that maybe your batt is demaged but still

CM11 the 20th 3rd 14th version mentioned a change about battery life.. they update the zip very often just check if the zip has another date in the name then flash it...

and try to change what i said above.. about stock i don't know how to help but i have my battery now for longer than half a day on and it's on 64 with display on mid-high

larscn

Aug 3, 2011
How fast is the battery charging(with the original charger). If it charges from empty to full very fast, then it's probably a bad battery. Both mine and my wife's battery has died on us after just a year of use, so it seems like the sIII mini's batteries is not lasting much more than 400 cycles.

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
i don't know about that maybe your batt is demaged but still

CM11 the 20th 3rd 14th version mentioned a change about battery life.. they update the zip very often just check if the zip has another date in the name then flash it...

and try to change what i said above.. about stock i don't know how to help but i have my battery now for longer than half a day on and it's on 64 with display on mid-high

It's the original battery, i havent changed it yet. I've just started using this phone like 2 or 3 months ago!
I'll see that governor trick, it may help. I'll update to the latest CM and see if there's any difference and keep you posted.

How fast is the battery charging(with the original charger). If it charges from empty to full very fast, then it's probably a bad battery. Both mine and my wife's battery has died on us after just a year of use, so it seems like the sIII mini's batteries is not lasting much more than 400 cycles.

It charges from 20% to full in about 3 hours or a bit more. Is that bad? Original battery and charger.

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
It's the original battery, i havent changed it yet. I've just started using this phone like 2 or 3 months ago!
I'll see that governor trick, it may help. I'll update to the latest CM and see if there's any difference and keep you posted.

It charges from 20% to full in about 3 hours or a bit more. Is that bad? Original battery and charger.

it's now 17:50 and i woke up at 9:00 and the batt is on 41% with that settings and newest of CM11 maclaw (btw. they update it daily as far as it seems)

also i heard skype can cause problems, but i don't have it installed at the moment

Last edited:

liongame

Feb 6, 2014
it's now 17:50 and i woke up at 9:00 and the batt is on 41% with that settings and newest of CM11 maclaw (btw. they update it daily as far as it seems)

also i heard skype can cause problems, but i don't have it installed at the moment

Yeah, i've noticed. It's kinda a pain to keep downloading and flashing on a daily basis though.:rolleyes:

Do you have Wifi/mobile data on during those hours?
I dont have Skype nor Viber, Whatsapp, Facebook messenger and all those messenger apps.

Mind if i asked you if you disabled any apps? System or downloaded?
And what's your current LCD density? Mine is 200, i tried to go for 180 but the phone started acting a bit weird.

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Yeah, i've noticed. It's kinda a pain to keep downloading and flashing on a daily basis though.:rolleyes:

I dont have Skype nor Viber, Whatsapp, Facebook messenger and all those messenger apps.

And what's your current LCD density? Mine is 200, i tried to go for 180 but the phone started acting a bit weird.

i have standart lcd density of CM cause i don't see any use in alternate densities...

I have the "mini" gapps from maclaw and line messenger, xposed with multi timezone clock, moon calendar, status bar clock in lockscreen. and pimpmyrom and facebook and facebook-messenger...

thats all cause i just installed CM and didn't save the apps...

i had wifi and mobile both on most of the day yeah...

(no need to flash daily when you're happy with it ;) )

Last edited:
Reactions: liongame

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

would be cool to hear if carbon made a chance then

I got problem with battery also with cm11. Drain so fast. I installed carbin, its a bit better. But also I order new battery (2450mh) because i think my old one is gonna die

i have standart lcd density of CM cause i don't see any use in alternate densities...

I have the "mini" gapps from maclaw and line messenger, xposed with multi timezone clock, moon calendar, status bar clock in lockscreen. and pimpmyrom and facebook and facebook-messenger...

Well..i used to be happy until CM started acting all crazy on me and now i have to download every new version hoping to find the fix in it. -_-

I've changed the governor and now i'll just wait for a day to pass then see if there's a change; of course i'll post an update on that. :)

Big thanks to you bro. :D