twrp restoring data for quite some time now

Search This thread

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Title says it all, trying to restore a nandroid of cleanrom1.1 with hk mod and art and it has been on restoring data for about 20 mins. Any suggestion? Pretty terrified to leave recovery without a removable battery

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Anybody up? A booting phone would come in handy tomorrow. After trying to install gpe with some troubles, I decided I wanted to go back to cleanrom with a backup. The restore has been stuck on restoring data for a while. The system successfully restored, so I want to know a few things.

Can I leave recovery while stuck at the restore screen?

Can my system boot with just a restored system not data?

Can I somehow get out and back into recovery to clean install cleanrom?

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I think I got it. Held power and vol up followed by power down and got into recovery again eventually, flashed per usual and its optimizing apps right now. Phew. On the bright side I'm entirely de sensitized with this phone after this brief heart attack

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
The latest TWRP is known to not restore Nandroids on this phone. Surprised you got it to work. Nowadays I don't Nandroid at all, I just use Titanium Backup. I know that method isn't perfect, but with Nandroid broken, it's what I got.

Like you discovered, devices with no removable battery have a virtual battery pull function that works independently of the phone's other functions. It's kind of like a kill switch.

It's always fun dealing with these issues, isn't it? Samsung phones, for all their faults, are pretty damn easy to work with. HTC... I'm finding, not so much, though when they do have a good ROM in them, they are some of the best phones out there.

Lastly, you're three versions out on CleanROM as of yesterday. I'm using 1.3 and once I get my USB cable, I'm updating to 1.4. H/K is a must.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
The latest TWRP is known to not restore Nandroids on this phone. Surprised you got it to work. Nowadays I don't Nandroid at all, I just use Titanium Backup. I know that method isn't perfect, but with Nandroid broken, it's what I got.

Like you discovered, devices with no removable battery have a virtual battery pull function that works independently of the phone's other functions. It's kind of like a kill switch.

It's always fun dealing with these issues, isn't it? Samsung phones, for all their faults, are pretty damn easy to work with. HTC... I'm finding, not so much, though when they do have a good ROM in them, they are some of the best phones out there.

Lastly, you're three versions out on CleanROM as of yesterday. I'm using 1.3 and once I get my USB cable, I'm updating to 1.4. H/K is a must.

You should use the twrp that buckmarble has posted. Its flawless. I tested it out good...it makes sense backups an restores them in under 130 seconds. Well for me it does everytime..j had trouble like you with the offical twrp.

I think I got it. Held power and vol up followed by power down and got into recovery again eventually, flashed per usual and its optimizing apps right now. Phew. On the bright side I'm entirely de sensitized with this phone after this brief heart attack

Reactions: dragontology

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
You should use the twrp that buckmarble has posted. Its flawless. I tested it out good...it makes sense backups an restores them in under 130 seconds. Well for me it does everytime..j had trouble like you with the offical twrp.
Yes, I've heard; thank you.

I wonder if TWRP has abandoned the M8. Or maybe they're waiting on something (4.4.3 update?). I don't know.

130 seconds? When I was on the Galaxy S3 250-300 seconds backups/restores were common. I get that we have two more cores, but has disk write speed really gotten that much better? Depending on your ROM, you're writing 1-3GB to the SD card, and other disk operations are happening as well. I've had a few rogue 2 minute restores, but I expect closer to 4. Then again maybe you have a leaner setup. I'm strictly Sense only as long as H/K is. No H/K in AOSP means no AOSP for me until that changes.

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit

I wonder if TWRP has abandoned the M8. Or maybe they're waiting on something (4.4.3 update?). I don't know.

130 seconds? When I was on the Galaxy S3 250-300 seconds backups/restores were common. I get that we have two more cores, but has disk write speed really gotten that much better? Depending on your ROM, you're writing 1-3GB to the SD card, and other disk operations are happening as well. I've had a few rogue 2 minute restores, but I expect closer to 4. Then again maybe you have a leaner setup. I'm strictly Sense only as long as H/K is. No H/K in AOSP means no AOSP for me until that changes.

Here is one I just made 5 mins ago just to show you. I backed up sense ROM 3.4 gigs as you can see an there is the 130 second backup. Check out the pic...also I restore it at 93 seconds but rebooted out of habit before I could take my pic of that lol....he did add his own kernel maybe that is what made it faster. Who knows but like I said I'm in the 130 range every time.....

Attachments

• 1409397965787.jpg
    1409397965787.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: dragontology

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Hello! I downloaded the recovery posted by buckmarble, currently using twrp. Earlier I thought I saw a thread explaining how to switch recoveries (easily) Now I can't find it anywhere, of course, right? Do u or anyone else know where I can get this info?

Thanks in Advance

HTC one m8 vzw
hit ThAnKs if I was helpful!!!

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Hello! I downloaded the recovery posted by buckmarble, currently using twrp. Earlier I thought I saw a thread explaining how to switch recoveries (easily) Now I can't find it anywhere, of course, right? Do u or anyone else know where I can get this info?

Thanks in Advance

HTC one m8 vzw

Its simple...just place your new twrp.IMG file in your fastboot folder. Then reboot to bootloader an plug phone into PC once in bootloader fastboot flash your recovery.IMG file
Type
Fastboot flash recovery nameofyour file.IMG
Hit enter an it will flash your new twrp you r trying to use..

You have working fastboot on your PC correct?

Reactions: 1droidmod

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Its simple...just place your new twrp.IMG file in your fastboot folder. Then reboot to bootloader an plug phone into PC once in bootloader fastboot flash your recovery.IMG file
Type

It has been 4 months or so since I rooted and did all that stuff to my m8, so I might have to do some updating..
Thank You

Weeeee-Yup

HTC one m8 vzw

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Here is one I just made 5 mins ago just to show you. I backed up sense ROM 3.4 gigs as you can see an there is the 130 second backup. Check out the pic...also I restore it at 93 seconds but rebooted out of habit before I could take my pic of that lol....he did add his own kernel maybe that is what made it faster. Who knows but like I said I'm in the 130 range every time.....
Alright I'll look for his post, thanks. Buck's gotta start making some threads its kind of a pain searching through other threads looking for his posts. What ROM you running nowadays tiger?

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Alright I'll look for his post, thanks. Buck's gotta start making some threads its kind of a pain searching through other threads looking for his posts. What ROM you running nowadays tiger?

Here is the link he sent me when I tested it for him

http://projectelite.net/actngrezy/buck/m8/vzw/TWRP/Buck-TWRP-2.7.1.0-m8wlv_8-20-14.img

Well my daily driver is badseeds tranquil as I really like it plenty of baked in tweaks you can choose an it pure dark UI is what gets me. I also run beanstalk when I'm not running tranquil.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Over the last few HTC phones on Vzw seems not to get any love from official twrp builds. I have been using one someone else built. Like on m7 santod's twrp was way better an stable an now buck's is hands down the best on m8. Maybe they don't like Vzw. Lol

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
ganytyve.jpg

I believe this is what I have been using since back when I got ny m8.. No issues to speak of.. In fact, this is the first time I heard of any:confused:

HTC one m8 vzw

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
ganytyve.jpg

I believe this is what I have been using since back when I got ny m8.. No issues to speak of.. In fact, this is the first time I heard of any:confused:

HTC one m8 vzw

Well look around you will find many..I'm know of a bunch I could go find them but I'm good...

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

ganytyve.jpg

HTC one m8 vzw

One huge problem is twrp don't have the partitions map right so if you r one of those users that use apps or the terminal emulator then you have just flashed twrp to your system partition an then your phone no longer boots to OS.. Which isn't the case on bucks build.. Myself I only fastboot so this isn't a issue but I have helped many m8 owners that ran into this. That's just for starters.

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Well look around you will find many..I'm know of a bunch I could go find them but I'm good...

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

One huge problem is twrp don't have the partitions map right so if you r one of those users that use apps or the terminal emulator then you have just flashed twrp to your system partition an then your phone no longer boots to OS.. Which isn't the case on bucks build.. Myself I only fastboot so this isn't a issue but I have helped many m8 owners that ran into this. That's just for starters.

Oh yeah!! I remember that now.. Jared Rummler found out the hard way, I tweeted him before I installed the recovery so I didn't do what he did.. Yes, good point!!

HTC one m8 vzw

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Ok, as of this moment, I have Buck-TWRP-v2.7.1.0 installed, just backed up my RoM, 3 partitions/4235mb=681seconds or just over 11.5minutes to create backup.

HTC one m8 vzw

Last edited:

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Compression-yes no-md5

HTC one m8 vzw

NThat's why it takes so long. How long did it take on the other twrp with compression? I don't use that feature is why mine dont take that long..

I don't see the point behind using compression. Never have never will.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in Advance

HTC one m8 vzw

Type